Thread: Aggressive, Attacking, Chattering, Arched back.....

MyBoyTheo Guest

Default Aggressive, Attacking, Chattering, Arched back.....

I am afraid to go outside my house! (Palm Harbor, Florida.) (We also successfully released a female, a few weeks back)
    Our 1 yr old, male rehab, that is a successful release, (freely comes and goes for the last 3 mths. We have a huge cage in our porch for him and I leave food and water twice a day. He has turned very aggressive towards me. My daughter and I cared for him since he was 2 wks old. We both were able to hold and play with him. As he got older he did not want to be held by anyone but us and has bitten my wife, for no reason. For the last 1 1/2 mths, he has been unpredictable and attacked me viscously. those bites go deep and hurt! Now I just keep my distance along with my wife. My daughter is in Peru for 5 wks and I am trying to figure out a way to cohabitate. I just want to hold my arm out and have him run up my arm and sit on my shoulder, like he used too, but he chatters and arches his back. I am afraid of him biting my face. I panic, and flick my arm to get him off, he wants to jump on me again, but I am running back in the house, by then. Is my fear a factor, its honestly hard not to be scared of him. He used to be so sweet and I want my boy back! Should I avoid him, stop feeding him and not slip a nut thru the sliders, when he paces back and forth, staring in at us. I am at a loss, please advise!!!!!!

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to MyBoyTheo from:

KarmaKay (09-17-2017)

Default Re: Aggressive, Attacking, Chattering, Arched back.....

We had a neighbor who used to let squirrels back into their home after releasing them. For this reason we have had a number of squirrels that have sought to mug us for nuts as you have described, not just come out to get food,but show aggression in demanding nuts from us.

To retrain a squirrel like this that hasn't a healthly fear of humans, whether due to not being sufficiently wilded up before release, or just deciding it had it better with getting food from your hand directly, get a new spray bottle from your local home and garden store, and fill it up with water. Then when you go outside take it with you and squirt the squirrel when it moves towards you; then move towards it when it begins to retreat to complete the message that you are not good for getting food from human hands, or while climbing on them. No need to soak it hopefully, just enough to send this message; otherwise, should it bite someone, then the entire community may end up paying the ultimate price for the habitutated behavior of this one squirrel.

4. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

cava (09-17-2017), KarmaKay (09-17-2017), UDoWhat (09-17-2017)

MyBoyTheo Guest

Hi
    Thanks for your response. I'm not completely clear on "Wilding".
    He is the largest male I see out there and has huge testicles. I thought he was just pent up or just had high testosterone, going thru a change. He seems territorial, with the other squirrels and can chase them away from the feeders we have out back.
    He just showed up at my back sliders again. I slipped him a nut thru the door and he left. I do understand, nuts are like crack to them and he does get pissy, whenever I give him a nut and to leave him alone when he has one. He does'nt seem to go near any neighbors and I certainly don't want him biting anyone. I would love to be able to have a relationship with him and be his safe haven, I feel responsible for him. Is this a possibility.
    I just don't know how to get past the fear and him biting me.
    Should I act more dominant toward him. What is the best approach when he chatters and arches his back.
    Thanks for anyone's input.

Stop feeding him nuts by hand. If you want to set up a feeding station out in the yard that would be fine. Your not doing him any favors by teaching him to beg at the door and get aggressive if he doesn't get them. A neighbor will end up trapping him and taking him away. He is an adult male now and needs to be on his own....
    farm mom
    Md. Licensed Master Rehabber

7. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to farm mom:

cava (09-18-2017), stepnstone (09-19-2017), TubeDriver (09-19-2017)

Stop feeding him nuts by hand. If you want to set up a feeding station out in the yard that would be fine. Your not doing him any favors by teaching him to beg at the door and get aggressive if he doesn't get them. A neighbor will end up trapping him and taking him away. He is an adult male now and needs to be on his own....
    Exactly, and though you have unintentionally trained this male to expect food from you, rather than forage for food for himself out in the trees, it is now needful for this squirrel, and now the others not to be fed any longer at your door. I knew of a male that once jumped on the head of it's former caregiver and bit them repeatedly. Instead put out a feeder for all the squirrels as far as you can get it from your door in a covered area to protect him from predators from the air and below.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

island rehabber (09-19-2017)

MyBoyTheo Guest

I all appreciate your input.
    It is hard, to have him act like he hates me, when all I have done is loved him. I saw him outside yesterday and he was headed over from a large tree out back. I do have a few feeders set up out back. (What do you recommend to use as food. People's thoughts vary on here. I get the mostly corn mix, sunflower seeds, bird food and a food block). I went outside in my screened porch as he came over. He jumped on the screen and I was on the other side. I was talking to him and I put my hand up. He started chattering and trying to bite thru the screen. I did not, have any food or nuts, I was just saying hi. He seems to act this way, whenever he sees me, whether I have a treat for him or not. He then came in thru the doggy door, as I made my way back towards the slider, he was acting aggressive, like he wanted to jump on me and attack. I went inside and got a water spray bottle. I did not give him a treat, I opened the slider a crack and squirted him a couple times. He didn't like it and went away, back out to the feeder. I felt horrible afterwords. Is this how it is now, or will he calm down eventually?

Quote Originally Posted by MyBoyTheo View Post
    I all appreciate your input.
    It is hard, to have him act like he hates me, when all I have done is loved him. I saw him outside yesterday and he was headed over from a large tree out back. I do have a few feeders set up out back. (What do you recommend to use as food. People's thoughts vary on here. I get the mostly corn mix, sunflower seeds, bird food and a food block). I went outside in my screened porch as he came over. He jumped on the screen and I was on the other side. I was talking to him and I put my hand up. He started chattering and trying to bite thru the screen. I did not, have any food or nuts, I was just saying hi. He seems to act this way, whenever he sees me, whether I have a treat for him or not. He then came in thru the doggy door, as I made my way back towards the slider, he was acting aggressive, like he wanted to jump on me and attack. I went inside and got a water spray bottle. I did not give him a treat, I opened the slider a crack and squirted him a couple times. He didn't like it and went away, back out to the feeder. I felt horrible afterwords. Is this how it is now, or will he calm down eventually?
    He may calm down eventually, but you NEVER want to go back to hand feeding or have much if any interaction with him.
    You will only end up where you are now having to redo this whole process.
    I KNOW this is painful to have a little one turn on you. He's confused and pissed.
    Let him figure it out without putting yourself or others in harms way.
    Provide food IN THE BACK.
    I would also try to block off the doggie door if possible, so he no longer has access.
    He WILL learn to be independent, but you have to help him become that way.

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

island rehabber (09-19-2017), TubeDriver (09-19-2017)

Members who have read this thread: 1