Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please Help.

Exclamation Please Help.

Hi, I found a baby squirrel outside my home after the hurricane. She has hair and open eyes. I warmed her up and ready hydrated her for the first day. I was told goat milk could be given to her after. I started her on the goat milk the next morning. She loved it. I am using a 1cc syringe. When doing Research it said to add some yogurt to it. I did that for about 3 feedings. She had not pooped in almost 3 days. On the 3rd day she pooped 3 times about 5 little hard dark turds. I was told she might be constipated so mix her goat milk equal parts milk with equal parts distilled water. I did this for about 4 feeding and noticed her poop was getting a golden color and soft. I stopped that because I was afraid it was upsetting her stomach. She hadid soft poop yesterday and diarreas all of today. I gave her Pedialyte today for her second feeding but it did not seem to fill her up and she just stayed up and seemed hungry. I went back to just goat milk for the last 2 feedings. She still has diarreah. Am really worried because I don't want to hurt her. She is pooping and peeing on her own, even though I still stimulate her. She started doing it on her own since yesterday. She's active and playful. And sleeps after her feedings. She weight 68grams and am feeding her every 4 hrs about 3-3.5cc. Please advice.

Default Re: Please Help.

Quote Originally Posted by Tcaren View Post
    Hi, I found a baby squirrel outside my home after the hurricane. She has hair and open eyes. I warmed her up and ready hydrated her for the first day. I was told goat milk could be given to her after. I started her on the goat milk the next morning. She loved it. I am using a 1cc syringe. When doing Research it said to add some yogurt to it. I did that for about 3 feedings. She had not pooped in almost 3 days. On the 3rd day she pooped 3 times about 5 little hard dark turds. I was told she might be constipated so mix her goat milk equal parts milk with equal parts distilled water. I did this for about 4 feeding and noticed her poop was getting a golden color and soft. I stopped that because I was afraid it was upsetting her stomach. She hadid soft poop yesterday and diarreas all of today. I gave her Pedialyte today for her second feeding but it did not seem to fill her up and she just stayed up and seemed hungry. I went back to just goat milk for the last 2 feedings. She still has diarreah. Am really worried because I don't want to hurt her. She is pooping and peeing on her own, even though I still stimulate her. She started doing it on her own since yesterday. She's active and playful. And sleeps after her feedings. She weight 68grams and am feeding her every 4 hrs about 3-3.5cc. Please advice.
    First stop the distilled water.
    Are you diluting FRESH goats milk 50/50 with water or
    are you using powdered?
    There is no need to dilute FRESH goats milk.
    You have to hydrate IN BETWEEN feedings, not instead of feedings.
    Use tap water, or spring water, not distilled.

Goat's milk is a temporary formula.
    I would buy some Fox Valley 20/50 formula and do a slow
    transition to that from the GM.
    https://www.henryspets.com/fox-valley-formulas/

In the meantime.
    Follow this recipe for the GM formula omitting the heavy cream for now
    until her diarrhea stops.

TEMPORARY GOAT'S MILK FORMULA:

3 parts goat’s milk
    1 part heavy whipping cream*
    1 part vanilla yogurt

Formula will last 48 hours in refrigerator.

Goat’s Milk
    This can be purchased at natural food stores such as Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods, and at most health food stores that sell groceries. It is a product for humans. Do not substitute commercial formula made for baby goats or other livestock sold at feed stores.

Goat’s milk is available fresh in a carton; evaporated in a can; and as a powdered milk. If you purchase either the evaporated or powdered versions, please blend them with water according to the package directions before using to make the formula.

Heavy Whipping Cream
    This is found in small cartons in the grocery store near the coffee creamers and half and half. Regular heavy cream may be substituted if it is unavailable, but the heavy whipping cream has the highest fat content, and is preferred.

Yogurt
    Yogurt has beneficial bacteria in it that soothes and settles digestion. Full fat yogurt is best, and a good choice that is very widely available is Stoneyfield Yobaby yogurt. However if it is unavailable, a low fat vanilla yogurt may be substituted. Avoid those that have artificial sweeteners in them. Vanilla and banana are both popular flavors, and the sweet taste of the yogurt helps to convince the baby to accept it.

It has been recently discovered that very small pinky squirrels do better with the ESBILAC PUPPY FORMULA, with probiotics, instead of Fox Valley. If the Goat's Milk formula is used, omit the heavy whipping cream for the first two weeks of life.

Heres a chart to help you detemine how much to feed according to the "rule of thumb" 5-7% of their body weight in grams.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

Grinderhead (09-16-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    First stop the distilled water.
    Are you diluting FRESH goats milk 50/50 with water or
    are you using powdered?
    There is no need to dilute FRESH goats milk.
    You have to hydrate IN BETWEEN feedings, not instead of feedings.
    Use tap water, or spring water, not distilled.

Goat's milk is a temporary formula.
    I would buy some Fox Valley 20/50 formula and do a slow
    transition to that from the GM.
    https://www.henryspets.com/fox-valley-formulas/

In the meantime.
    Follow this recipe for the GM formula omitting the heavy cream for now
    until her diarrhea stops.

TEMPORARY GOAT'S MILK FORMULA:

3 parts goat’s milk
    1 part heavy whipping cream*
    1 part vanilla yogurt

Formula will last 48 hours in refrigerator.

Goat’s Milk
    This can be purchased at natural food stores such as Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods, and at most health food stores that sell groceries. It is a product for humans. Do not substitute commercial formula made for baby goats or other livestock sold at feed stores.

Goat’s milk is available fresh in a carton; evaporated in a can; and as a powdered milk. If you purchase either the evaporated or powdered versions, please blend them with water according to the package directions before using to make the formula.

Heavy Whipping Cream
    This is found in small cartons in the grocery store near the coffee creamers and half and half. Regular heavy cream may be substituted if it is unavailable, but the heavy whipping cream has the highest fat content, and is preferred.

Yogurt
    Yogurt has beneficial bacteria in it that soothes and settles digestion. Full fat yogurt is best, and a good choice that is very widely available is Stoneyfield Yobaby yogurt. However if it is unavailable, a low fat vanilla yogurt may be substituted. Avoid those that have artificial sweeteners in them. Vanilla and banana are both popular flavors, and the sweet taste of the yogurt helps to convince the baby to accept it.

It has been recently discovered that very small pinky squirrels do better with the ESBILAC PUPPY FORMULA, with probiotics, instead of Fox Valley. If the Goat's Milk formula is used, omit the heavy whipping cream for the first two weeks of life.

Heres a chart to help you detemine how much to feed according to the "rule of thumb" 5-7% of their body weight in grams.

Hi, I am using the can goat milk. I did put the yogurt in for a few feedings. I ordered the fox Valley 20/50. I will hydrate in between feedings. Since it's canned goat milk do I need to mix it with where first. The can said to mix equal parts water and milk to make whole milk. If she continues to have diarreah, what should I do? I don't want to hurt her. Thank you.

Hi, I am using the can goat milk. I did put the yogurt in for a few feedings. I ordered the fox Valley 20/50. I will hydrate in between feedings. Since it's canned goat milk do I need to mix it with where first. The can said to mix equal parts water and milk to make whole milk. If she continues to have diarreah, what should I do? I don't want to hurt her. Thank you.
    If that's what the can says. I've never used can, only fresh and powdered.
    You could start with something really simple like the BRAT diet.
    Try this for a couple of days and see if she responds.

(Partial) Brat Formula Mix
    3 tablespoons (already) mixed formula 2-1
    1/2 tsp baby rice powered cereal
    1/2 tsp banana baby food.

We are seeing alot of diarrhea and bloat in babies this year.

If the can said to mix equal parts water and canned milk to make whole milk, do that first (the can is concentrated and needs the water to make into regular goat's milk) and use it in the recipe given. Make exactly they way she gave it to you, which means you want to use yogurt and also add heavy whipping cream.

The yogurt will help with good bacteria to help her gut.

If she doesn't seem dehydrated you don't need to give water in between feedings. Overfeeding can also cause diarrhea and an inconsistent diet. So get a batch of the gm together and stick with it.

I have also used the brac diet for diarrhea and it was very helpful.

Can you post a photo?

Once you get the formula straightened out her diarrhea should clear up after a few days. In the meantime you need to hydrate with flavored Pedialyte or the Homemade hydration solution in between the feedings not in place of feedings.

The Homemade hydration fluid is.

2 cups warm water
    1 Tablespoon of sugar
    1/2 teaspoon of salt.

Mix ingerdients until thoughly mixed and dissolved. ,
    Be sure to warm the hydration fluid like you do the formula before giving it to your baby.

I see Nancy has suggested the BRAT formula. That should help too. But you still need to hydrate in between feedings for 2-3 days. Not more than 3 days with hydration fluid.

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to UDoWhat from:

cava (09-16-2017)

Default Re: I need help with my squirrel

Quick question I also have a baby squirrel, she has diarreah. I have been using goat milk. I just realized it needs to be mixed with equal part water as it's the evaporated kind. I gave her the goat milk mixed first with the water then added the 1/3 of yogurt
    She has had diarreah for a day. Should I change this to the puppy replacement? I ordered the fox Valley from amazon but won't be here until tuesday-wednesday. I gave her Pedialyte also
    Between feeding today to hydrate. Is this okay or should I use water? Also her little butt seems stolen a bit. I am super worried. First time rescue. Found her after the hurricane here in florida.

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Tcaren from:

Madelin (09-17-2017)

Thank you. If am feeding her every 4 hrs how much should I give her of Pedialyte and how often. I don't want to bloat her. What is the BRAT diet? Thank you all

You could start with something really simple like the BRAT diet.
    Try this for a couple of days and see if she responds.

(Partial) Brat Formula Mix
    3 tablespoons (already) mixed formula 2-1
    1/2 tsp baby rice powered cereal
    1/2 tsp banana baby food.

We are seeing alot of diarrhea and bloat in babies this year.
    This is the brat (sorry I call it the brac diet). Can you go out today and get what you need to make a complete recipe of the goat's milk formula (goat milk, yogurt, cream) or the brat diet (the goat milk formula with an added baby rice cereal and banana baby food)?

I'm not sure if you should buy Esbilac puppy formula to use for only two days. By the time you introduce diluted batches until you are up to full strength, your Fox Valley formula will be there and you'll have to do a transition to that, which can also cause diarrhea.

I suggest you stick to the goat's milk recipe and use that to make the brat recipe which will help with diarrhea.

You can only use the pedialyte or home made pedialyte for 3 days because baby shouldn't have the salt that's in it for more than that. You may hydrate between feedings with just water after that. You don't need to add sugar to the water especially if you make the Brat formula which has banana baby food in it (which has plenty of sugar in it).

So today, get the ingredients to make a Goat's milk formula--fully made goat's milk (buy fresh, powder or canned but make it according to directions), the yogurt and the heavy whipping cream.

If you are making the Brat formula for diarrhea also buy--rice baby cereal and banana baby food.

I'm not sure how much you should give in hydration between feedings. Start with 0.5 - 1 ml.

I hope all of this answers your questions and makes sense.

Hi thank you. I am feeding her the temporary goat milk formula every 4hrs with 1.5cc of pedialyte between feeds. Should I change her over to the brat diet? Or continue like this for a few days? Also someone mentioned kaopectate helps. I don't want to do too much change and upset her more. Al
    Attached Images Attached Images  

This is a picture of her little privates. They seem a bit swollen to me. Not sure if am over worried, but I love her and want the best for her. She's not lethargic or anything. She is pretty active when up and is starting to poop and pee on her own. This is after her hydration fluid. Her belly is not hard it never has been but it always seems a bit puffy. Thank you all.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

You can do the brat diet if she still has diarrhea, or just stay on the goat's milk and tell us when your fox valley arrives so we can help you make the transition to that. Try the brat diet for a while before trying kaopectate.

Give only water (discontinue the pedialyte) and yes, continue to hydrate that amount in between feedings. She looks like she could use it.

She is adorable and remember to give her plenty of time to sleep during the day. Just like puppies and human babies, growing is a lot of work and requires lots of naps!

Her vulva looks fine. If the skin is pink and intact that's good.

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to cava from:

Nancy in New York (09-17-2017)

Thank you. She still does have diarreas but I've only done 3 feedings with the correct goat formula. I will just use water now. Thank you. So I should go and get the brat diet and start that correct? Her little Anus is what had me feeling like it was a bit swollen. The area is pink and intact tho. She sleeps most of the day. She's been a bit more active yesterday and today tho. But she usually sleeps most of the time between feedings. Thank you. She is a little angel. Crazy how quick you fall in love with them. To make the brat I just use the formula I have now(temp goat formula minus heavy cream) and the other two ingridients? I was a bit confused because it said 2-1 next to the formula. Thank you again.

Thank you. She still does have diarreas but I've only done 3 feedings with the correct goat formula. I will just use water now. Thank you. So I should go and get the brat diet and start that correct? Her little Anus is what had me feeling like it was a bit swollen. The area is pink and intact tho. She sleeps most of the day. She's been a bit more active yesterday and today tho. But she usually sleeps most of the time between feedings. Thank you. She is a little angel. Crazy how quick you fall in love with them. To make the brat I just use the formula I have now(temp goat formula minus heavy cream) and the other two ingridients? I was a bit confused because it said 2-1 next to the formula. Thank you again.

Yes, you make the brat formula with the goat's milk formula you are using, but why are you not putting the heavy whipping cream into it? (when she wrote 2-1 she is referring to people who are using a powdered formula, it's a reminder of the strength to make it at. This doesn't apply to you right now.)

Her anus may be irritated if she's had diarrhea. Keep it clean and dry and it will be fine.

Yes, they easily suck you in, don't they? I just love 'em!

Quote Originally Posted by cava View Post
    Yes, you make the brat formula with the goat's milk formula you are using, but why are you not putting the heavy whipping cream into it? (when she wrote 2-1 she is referring to people who are using a powdered formula, it's a reminder of the strength to make it at. This doesn't apply to you right now.)

Her anus may be irritated if she's had diarrhea. Keep it clean and dry and it will be fine.

Yes, they easily suck you in, don't they? I just love 'em!
    I said to leave the heavy cream out for now, since the little one has diarrhea.
    We don't want to add the extra fat yet.
    Last edited by Nancy in New York; 09-17-2017 at 10:45 AM.

20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

stepnstone (09-17-2017)

Thank you all so much. You have no idea how much help and peace of mind you guys are giving me. I will get the ingredients for the brat formula today. She still has diarreas but it's not coming out as much as before. I will stop the pedialyte and use just warm bottle water is that ok? Once I use the brat formula should I still hydrate between feedings with water? Thank you guys again. I love this baby. I do have one more question. There's nothing for me to worry about with the squirrel, I am 8 months pregrnant. I haven't read about anything that is transmisible to the baby. Is this correct.

Nancy, thank you for the clarification!!

23. Serious fuzzy thank you's to cava from:

Yes, you may still hydrate with warm water (tap water is ok) between feedings using the brat diet. If you maintain proper hand washing before and after handling baby, you both should be fine.

I lightened the photo.
    What is this on the belly where the green arrow is?
    If that's a vein, I've never seen one protrude like that.

To me this looks like a wet skin fold. Stretch the leg out and see if it goes away or have her take another photo for us??

27. Serious fuzzy thank you's to cava from:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast