Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast

Thread: Henry

Default Re: Henry

2016 is 16% protein and 2018 is 18% protein. 2018 contains soy and 2016 does not. Henry will be fine on the higher protein since he is a juvenile and still growing. All Teklad blocks are top of the line and IMO are a step above Mazuri. Sqrls seem to like them better than Mazuri. I feed either or depending on availability and now have a large 33 Lb bag of 2016 so that's what I am currently using. Remember I have 8 plus one I just took in to shelter from a legal problem in another state.

Below is a great post on the subject. I would not ever use something called "Nut Squares" or "Nut Balls" IMO. It's formula was developed by someone that believes that scalded milk is safe for squirrels

Boo balls are a different thing altogether and there are many excellent recipes on TSB about how to make them if Henry ever becomes a picky eater. In the mean time Teklad 2018 with HHB supplement is a great diet.

Post about the subject: https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-2016-or-2018-!
    Resident Sciurus: Sophie, Kami, Lady, Lucky, Beatrice, Jill, Winston, Little Buddi and Patchi the Prairie Dog.

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SophieSquirrel from:

LR (01-12-2018)

Ok great Iíll order him a bag today from that site I just posted of the 2018 then so I can give him more then just two a day he nibbles them up in seconds prefers them before his veggies. Roughly how many a day should be given to him along with normal veggies and his two Henry blocks.

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mommas Munchkins:

LR (01-12-2018), SophieSquirrel (01-12-2018)

You can freely feed the HT blocks. BTW, I think that when Henry bit you it was during the time that he was sick, wasn't it? If so, maybe it was because he didn't feel good that he did it? Just a thought.

ďYou have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.Ē ― John Bunyan .

Sammy's TSB Thread
    Marvin and Charlie's TSB Thread

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Jen413:

Quote Originally Posted by Jen413 View Post
    You can freely feed the HT blocks. BTW, I think that when Henry bit you it was during the time that he was sick, wasn't it? If so, maybe it was because he didn't feel good that he did it? Just a thought.
    Yea he was pretty stressed out being sick and losing his sister it was mostly my fault he got onto my ear started sniffing it then bit down I went to get him and scared him I think when he then grabbed onto my finger. I also didnít have gloves on and didnít have my hoodie on like I usually did I think it was all the stress over his sister and me cleaning out his cage. It makes me nervous but I honestly donít think he did it on purpose was just scared. Great I just bought him some of those blocks and will cont to just give them freely to him. I canít get over how fluffy his tails gotten.

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mommas Munchkins:

Jen413 is spot on - feed rodent block on demand (free choice). My squirrels are all in cages when I am out and thats where they are fed and stash their goodies. Each has a bowl of blocks always available. Occasionally they will stash them under their bedding blankets. Since I change bedding and clean daily I just dump clean blocks back into the bowl. If any are soiled they go outside to compost. There is always some waste with squirrels. I do give treats when my sqrls are out for enrichment / play time but they eat those up right away without stashing. Everyone does things differently but don't hold back on their base diet. With your wonderful play room I doubt being overweight will be an issue.
    Resident Sciurus: Sophie, Kami, Lady, Lucky, Beatrice, Jill, Winston, Little Buddi and Patchi the Prairie Dog.

10. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SophieSquirrel:

LR (01-12-2018), Mommas Munchkins (01-12-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Mommas Munchkins View Post
    Henry wanted me to tell everyone he is doing well and loves the blocks sophie squirrel sent him. His tail is getting so big and bushy and heís starting to get some little white scruffy hairs behind his ears. I have been working on his room and making progress. Here are two of his new climbing tubes I made last night and still have a 8ft and 5ft one to wrap then hanging from the ceiling in his room. Heís going to have a huge jungle gym in no time. Hoping to get the rest of the tree stuff built sometime next week when this nasty weather moves out but he looks excited about his few new additions.
    Oh look at that handsome boy with his big fluffy tail and precious smile! I'm sure he's going to love his play room makeover! Something makes me think he's a bit spoiled. Looks like he loves his new blocks too. In regards to the Teklad blocks, my babies love to eat them for snacks throughout the day. I sure am loving all these great Henry updates!
    Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

"Don't cry because it's over - smile because it happened." Dr. Seuss

12. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to lennysmom:

Mommas Munchkins (01-12-2018), Nancy in New York (01-14-2018), SophieSquirrel (01-13-2018)

Henry wanted me to tell everyone he is doing well and loves the blocks sophie squirrel sent him. His tail is getting so big and bushy and he’s starting to get some little white scruffy hairs behind his ears. I have been working on his room and making progress. Here are two of his new climbing tubes I made last night and still have a 8ft and 5ft one to wrap then hanging from the ceiling in his room. He’s going to have a huge jungle gym in no time. Hoping to get the rest of the tree stuff built sometime next week when this nasty weather moves out but he looks excited about his few new additions.
    They look great, better than mine!! Good job. You'll have to tell me if he goes inside, or take vid.

Also, I'm using the HT blocks for the first time this year and mine don't choose them first (because of boo balls) but their bowl always seems empty and I'm not finding many stashed. I'm sold on them, that's for sure!

14. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cava:

Mel1959 (01-14-2018), SophieSquirrel (01-13-2018)

Hey yíall Henry is loving his play room and is feeling so much better. I took a few videos of him during play time the last two days and heís just so silly and enjoying every minute. I hope you guys enjoy these as much as I did. I still have to hang his tubes but he seemed to enjoy them and always was playing on them of course when I wasnít recording that little brat. Ps sorry for all the videos I couldnít pick just one.

https://youtu.be/4uab73eRCDQ
    https://youtu.be/hx5aDsxGLZc
    https://youtu.be/gOdD2Gdrjrs
    https://youtu.be/0h0w8uqm_fo
    https://youtu.be/rtOyLY1Bkpw
    https://youtu.be/70_nnRCwsus

16. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mommas Munchkins:

lennysmom (01-14-2018), Nancy in New York (01-14-2018)

Cute videos of Henry enjoying his playroom. Looks like he's having a blast! I see why you couldn't just pick one - they are all great smile makers.
    Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

"Don't cry because it's over - smile because it happened." Dr. Seuss

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to lennysmom from:

Mommas Munchkins (01-14-2018)

20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

It's good to see Henry doing so well, the vids are great!
    It's obvious Henry approves of his adventure park.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

22. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Mommas Munchkins (01-14-2018), Nancy in New York (01-14-2018)

He looks like he's doing really well. He's so darn fast!! I like how you have every surface covered with fleece.

24. Serious fuzzy thank you's to cava from:

Hey yíall Henry is loving his play room and is feeling so much better. I took a few videos of him during play time the last two days and heís just so silly and enjoying every minute. I hope you guys enjoy these as much as I did. I still have to hang his tubes but he seemed to enjoy them and always was playing on them of course when I wasnít recording that little brat. Ps sorry for all the videos I couldnít pick just one.

https://youtu.be/4uab73eRCDQ
    https://youtu.be/hx5aDsxGLZc
    https://youtu.be/gOdD2Gdrjrs
    https://youtu.be/0h0w8uqm_fo
    https://youtu.be/rtOyLY1Bkpw
    https://youtu.be/70_nnRCwsus
    Never too many videos of this little munchkin.
    When he comes high tailing it back, is he jumping on/coming to you?
    He sure is full of himself isn't he?
    I just love little Henry.

26. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

Henry looks very happy in those last photos!

Great job with him!
    The adventures of Sir Max and Explorer Millie!
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...e-the-Explorer!

See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

See the sisters Pip and Nip!
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-(Pip-and-Nip)!

ďYou become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.Ē
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupťry, The Little Prince

28. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    Never too many videos of this little munchkin.
    When he comes high tailing it back, is he jumping on/coming to you?
    He sure is full of himself isn't he?
    I just love little Henry.
    Yea he comes zooming back and jumps on my leg then circles and does it again he sure is full of himself but he sure seems to be enjoying himself and burning some energy before his breakfast this morning little silly guy. Heís so fast itís crazy lol

30. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mommas Munchkins:

cava (01-14-2018), Nancy in New York (01-18-2018), SophieSquirrel (01-18-2018)

Few things I’m curious about with Henry.. first I have been adding and changing things up in the cage for him and try my best to let him out everyday at least twice for 30min each time, I feel like that’s not enough time for home..as he usually will start pacing back and forth in the cage after he’s or back in. Some days he may only be able to be out for 30min-1hr depending on my work achedule and sometimes I get home late and it’s already dark that I don’t want to let him out of the cage and make him think we can play when it’s nighttime.. is this the right thing to do or does that matter.?

Also I noticed I fill his bowel full of veggies and a bowel if blocks and find that he’s eaten all the veggies up within a hr or less so I refill it usually one more time midday before it gets dark if I’m home in time. Should I be feeding him more or am feeding as he should be as sometime I don’t refill it in the evening because I don’t want to wake him up and get his all worked up to play But do make sure he still has blocks in there I’m still waiting for the blocks he eats freely to arrive due to the snow we had but hopefully I get them today.

Some mornings I can’t let him out because of work so my question is do you all stay in the playroom with them the whole time they play and also for how long. It was a lot easier when I had two babies they played with each other but with him alone now he always seems so worked up wanting to play and still sometimes gets aggressive towards me during play time. Advice.? I feel like I’m letting him down not letting him out enough or spending enough time with him. On days I work from home I will go sit in his room with him durning lunch and things and peek in to say hi but can’t always let him out to play.

Let him out as much as you can but know that lots of rehabbers who are overwintering squirrels, never let them out of their cage till they are soft released in the spring.

As long as you are giving healthy blocks and veggies, don't worry too much about repeat feedings. Weigh him if possible and observe him closely daily. He should not be losing weight or appear skinny. Two HHB, as many HT blocks as he wants (although if you give him too many he will just store them away) and a nice salad of healthy greens and veggies. I would give him his blocks and a salad in the morning, and an extra block/treat at night if he will eat it.

Are you still planning on releasing him in the spring? If so, I would not worry too much about how much out of cage play time he gets. In some ways, it might make living in a cage more difficult? If he was a NR, then I would get as much out of cage playtime as possible because he will need the exercise and the socialization with you.

Few things Iím curious about with Henry.. first I have been adding and changing things up in the cage for him and try my best to let him out everyday at least twice for 30min each time, I feel like thatís not enough time for home..as he usually will start pacing back and forth in the cage after heís or back in. Some days he may only be able to be out for 30min-1hr depending on my work achedule and sometimes I get home late and itís already dark that I donít want to let him out of the cage and make him think we can play when itís nighttime.. is this the right thing to do or does that matter.?

Also I noticed I fill his bowel full of veggies and a bowel if blocks and find that heís eaten all the veggies up within a hr or less so I refill it usually one more time midday before it gets dark if Iím home in time. Should I be feeding him more or am feeding as he should be as sometime I donít refill it in the evening because I donít want to wake him up and get his all worked up to play But do make sure he still has blocks in there Iím still waiting for the blocks he eats freely to arrive due to the snow we had but hopefully I get them today.

Some mornings I canít let him out because of work so my question is do you all stay in the playroom with them the whole time they play and also for how long. It was a lot easier when I had two babies they played with each other but with him alone now he always seems so worked up wanting to play and still sometimes gets aggressive towards me during play time. Advice.? I feel like Iím letting him down not letting him out enough or spending enough time with him. On days I work from home I will go sit in his room with him durning lunch and things and peek in to say hi but canít always let him out to play.

33. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

Mommas Munchkins (01-18-2018), SophieSquirrel (01-18-2018)

Ok great thanks! Thatís basically what Iím doing feeding wise and yes I do plan on soft releasing him in the spring as thatís what is fair to him. I just wanted to make sure I was doing all right heís such a crazy brat I canít weight him but heís not lost weight or look skinny always seems to be growing and eating all healthy veggies and blocks first before I offer any treats. I knew a lot of people keep them in the cage overwinter and with me wanting to release him I try to let him out when I can or while Iím dragging his stuff or cleaning the cage I try to not get to hands on lovey dicey with him because I donít want him used to humans not even me. He shows me signs of aggression at times and thatís when I make him go back in his cage or while heís eating. It makes me feel better now that it sounds Iím still doing all things right for him and not punishing him by keeping him in the cage as sometimes thatís how it feels. It was much easier and I didnít worry as much about him getting bored or lonely when I still hand my precious pumpkin

35. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mommas Munchkins:

SophieSquirrel (01-18-2018), TubeDriver (01-18-2018)

"I do plan on soft releasing him in the spring as thatís what is fair to him"

"not punishing him by keeping him in the cage as sometimes thatís how it feels"
    You know you will be heart broken when you release him! With your talent for excellent care and willingness to ask questions and implement proper care technique, you should get your rehabber's license or sub-rehab. I guarantee you will have the opportunity to obtain a non-releasable (NR) and have a "forever fur baby" - or 2, or 3! There is always a need for permanent fosters for NR's (I have 8). NR's are are a joy to have without the guilt of keeping a perfectly healthy sqrl from the trees. Sometimes a healthy sqrl does not want to leave as is the case with my Kami. She was raised by a family and overly socialized. She is an adult with no aggression and is very happy to be indoors. Sure she could be forced "wild up" but I know this particular squirrels personality and she would not do well outdoors. She is the exception to the rule.

The cage is not a prison IF you allow for out time and interaction. Remember a squirrel spends nights and mid-day in it's nest being most active at dawn and dusk. A PROPERLY set up cage (like yours) is security and territory for your sqrl. if you take on the responsibility of keeping NR's you HAVE to spend time with them.

Seeing growling or swatting or even lunge/biting from a squirrel when they have food in their hands is PERFECTLY normal. Basically, hands off when they are eating.

Some interaction with him is fine but you will start to taper off with it as you get closer to getting him ready for soft release. Basically, a couple weeks (month?) or so before he will transition to to his outdoor soft release cage, I would start to dramatically reduce your out of cage play time with him! He will probably be a complete nut-ball/handful of squirrel craziness by then anyway!

Ok great thanks! Thatís basically what Iím doing feeding wise and yes I do plan on soft releasing him in the spring as thatís what is fair to him. I just wanted to make sure I was doing all right heís such a crazy brat I canít weight him but heís not lost weight or look skinny always seems to be growing and eating all healthy veggies and blocks first before I offer any treats. I knew a lot of people keep them in the cage overwinter and with me wanting to release him I try to let him out when I can or while Iím dragging his stuff or cleaning the cage I try to not get to hands on lovey dicey with him because I donít want him used to humans not even me. He shows me signs of aggression at times and thatís when I make him go back in his cage or while heís eating. It makes me feel better now that it sounds Iím still doing all things right for him and not punishing him by keeping him in the cage as sometimes thatís how it feels. It was much easier and I didnít worry as much about him getting bored or lonely when I still hand my precious pumpkin

38. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

SophieSquirrel (01-18-2018)

Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast