Thread: Squirrel pox

Nikussatis Guest

Default Squirrel pox

Hello I "inherited" an abanded baby squirrel- 6 weeks- 7 weeks old with Squirrel pox. I read other forums, took him to the vet and recieved a prescription for Acuclovir. That was on Monday. What has everyone else tried? While the pox are numerous none are open. He is drinking almost double what he did when I got him on Saturday, spunky and today tried Kale for the first time. Ideas? Help?
    Last edited by island rehabber; 09-16-2017 at 01:10 PM.

2. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nikussatis:

cava (09-16-2017), Shewhosweptforest (09-14-2017)

Default Re: Squirrel poxs

How much did the vet dose the acyclovir and what is the strength? What is the formula the baby is on?

You are an angel. Sounds like you know about pox.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

4. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to redwuff:

cava (09-16-2017), KarmaKay (09-15-2017), Shewhosweptforest (09-14-2017)

Thank you for helping this little one...I know that is a drug often used...good food...some immune boosters in his water...I know Crittermom and farm mom have had luck with pox....I will pm them and send them here
    Make the world a better place...one animal at a time

The Peace of Wild Things
    BY WENDELL BERRY
    When despair for the world grows in me
    and I wake in the night at the least sound
    in fear of what my life and my children’s lives may be,
    I go and lie down where the wood drake
    rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
    I come into the peace of wild things
    who do not tax their lives with forethought
    of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
    And I feel above me the day-blind stars
    waiting with their light. For a time
    I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

Quote Originally Posted by Shewhosweptforest View Post
    Thank you for helping this little one...I know that is a drug often used...good food...some immune boosters in his water...I know Crittermom and farm mom have had luck with pox....I will pm them and send them here
    Can you tell us his approximate weight? And what acyclovir did you get - what size are the pills in milligrams? I can help you properly dose - it is very likely that the vet is dosing too little - this isn't something they study in vet school and there is little info available...

7. 6 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

cava (09-16-2017), farm mom (09-15-2017), Mel1959 (09-15-2017), redwuff (09-15-2017), Rocky1 (09-20-2017), Shewhosweptforest (09-15-2017)

Nikussatis Guest

[QUOTE=redwuff;1235011]How much did the vet dose the acyclovir and what is the strength? What is the formula the baby is on?

From what I saw on line was .01 3x a day. I just found puppy replacement liquid milk at Petsmart. Went from 1.5 teas to 2 teas each feeding, eating extremely well. Do you have any tips?

Nikussatis Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Shewhosweptforest View Post
    What immune boosters in the water is typical?

Nikussatis Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    Can you tell us his approximate weight? And what acyclovir did you get - what size are the pills in milligrams? I can help you properly dose - it is very likely that the vet is dosing too little - this isn't something they study in vet school and there is little info available...
    That's funny, your right I told the vet what I needed! I have to get a scale. From what I saw online .01cc 3x a day. I recieved the Acyclovir in a liquid from and mix a lil with the formula when i feed him.

Any thoughts on Nystop?
    There is very little on line about it, actually took me awhile of searching before I even found out what it was. Right now he only has bumps..will they turn into open sores? What is the survival rate. Some sites say 50% others say automatic death. How long does this go on for?

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nikussatis from:

KarmaKay (09-15-2017)

How is your baby ? I am hoping she is better. Bless you

The liquid formula you are feeding is not the right formula for baby squirrels. It doesn't have the nutrition that baby squirrels need to grow properly. We recommend Esbilac puppy replacement formula. You need to get the powdered kind. The liquid is not the same as the powder. The kind you are looking for is pictured below. As to the mortality rate I am not so sure. Most rehabilitators won't treat them because the virus is so contagious to the other squirrels. They only euthanize. I have heard that there have been many saved on the right meds and with supportive care. I believe it has to do with the severity of the case. Treatment is usually weeks or longer.

Name:  IMG_4502.JPG
Views: 66
Size:  184.6 KB
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

13. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to redwuff:

KarmaKay (09-15-2017), Milo's Mom (09-15-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    How much did the vet dose the acyclovir and what is the strength? What is the formula the baby is on?

I don't think you mentioned what the strength and dosage is of the medication.

15. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

KarmaKay (09-15-2017), Rocky1 (09-20-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Nikussatis View Post
    What immune boosters in the water is typical?
    https://www.caoh.com/Liquid-Immune-Barrier.html

This is the link for the immune booster that has done very well to support squirrels recovering from pox. You put it in their drinking waters and they take to it well. It is beta gluten with echinacea. It can take two weeks to get it if you don't express ship it, FYI.

Best to you, they can recover... pox is not an automatic death sentence. I caught mine early with only a few bumps, the blisters dried up without ever opening.

Nikussatis Guest

Default Re: Squirrel pox

Quote Originally Posted by Nikussatis View Post
    Hello I "inherited" an abanded baby squirrel- 6 weeks- 7 weeks old with Squirrel pox. I read other forums, took him to the vet and recieved a prescription for Acuclovir. That was on Monday. What has everyone else tried? While the pox are numerous none are open. He is drinking almost double what he did when I got him on Saturday, spunky and today tried Kale for the first time. Ideas? Help?

Update. Thank you for all of the suggestions- I had a few things ordered and on the way but am heart broken to s a t my baby passed away this morning. I was concerned about his ability to urinate and poop with the pox in that area and had a vet appointment scheduled for today. During his 2 AM feeding he was tired and only ate half of usual amount. At 6AM he already passed away. I would say though that in the 2 days of using Nystop the pox on the back seemed smaller. Does anyone need any of the meds I brought? I would ship them to you.
    Heart broken. If anyone ever needs help with a baby squirrel please let me know.

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nikussatis from:

TubeDriver (09-19-2017)

This is so sad...I am very sorry you lost him. Thank you for trying so hard, and for offering to pass the meds along.
    Pox is a horrible horrible thing; it often has infected the brain before there are that many visible lesions, and in those cases it kills quickly.

Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

So so sorry for your loss thank you so much for trying to save this sweet baby thanks for surrounding him with love. Rest in peace sweet baby.

Thank you for giving such great care to this little baby.

Godspeed little one.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.