Thread: Did I rescue or kidnap?

Almsim Guest

Default Did I rescue or kidnap?

A little background, I work in one of the busiest tourists town in the USA. Our business is right on the Main Street and the first building in the outside mall area. So basically zero trees and not any place for wildlife. Today at work a baby squirrel came running into my work and climbed up my leg. I immediately went and put him in a box while trying to figure out what to do. I found a lady who is a certified in wildlife rehabilitation and frequently takes squirrels and after her asking a few questions and gathering that it wasn't safe for him to be released where he was found to bring him to her so I did. She lives on a ginormous piece of lovely property that is a wildlife paradise and said that once rehabilitated they are released there. She did say that he was quite young and will be on formula for a bit but that he didn't feel underweight so his mom was feeding him still. I felt like I made the right decision but some jerk made a comment that I stole him from his mom and now I'm feeling awful and wondering if I made the right choice. He came running in the back door so the one that is directly in the outdoor mall area, the nearest woods area was miles away and he was too young to be released on his own plus his mom wouldn't have found him there. I could have tried putting him in a box out there but being such a heavy foot traffic area I know the mom squirrel wouldn't have came and got him. Idk I guess I'm just looking for reassurance that I did the right thing? Was there anything I could have done to reunite him with his mom?

Long rant I'm sorry, I'm just feeling bad but trying to think of it as he would have either not made it or if he did make it and get reunited with his mom by some chance he would have grown up in a city heavy traffic area and now he is at least going to be living his years out where he should be in the woods.

Default Re: Did I rescue or kidnap?

I think squirrels have adapted to city life well and nest in a bunch of different places, not just trees. That being said, it sounds like he was desperate if he enterd a building and climbed a human. Not only that, but you took him to a woman with experience and a lovely spread of nature for him to live in.

I don't think you should feel guilty. He clearly needed help or he wouldn't have sought it out. Put that jerk out of your mind and think of how wonderful it will be for mall baby to live on some green land when he grows up.

3. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cava:

DarkLies212 (09-13-2017), island rehabber (09-13-2017), TubeDriver (09-12-2017)

A baby squirrel running around in a mall area is in imminent danger (cars, cats, mean kids, uncaring adults). I think you had no choice and it sounds like this baby will be released in a nice area. Good save!
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

DarkLies212 (09-13-2017), island rehabber (09-13-2017)

While I'm not a rehabber, I suspect that when a squirrel is that friendly with people, it's not good. Some people will panic and injure a squirrel that tries to climb or jump on them even if the squirrel is just showing affection. I don't mean to be disturbing. My point is, you did the right thing. You saved this little guy before he found the wrong person.

(The caveat is if people over there don't mind squirrels being that friendly. In most heavily human populated places it would be a problem, imo. Are most squirrels over there that friendly with people? From what I read, it sounds like there are practically no squirrels or trees where you work and found the baby. I'm making sure I didn't misunderstand.)

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rocky1 from:

cava (09-12-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky1 View Post
    While I'm not a rehabber, I suspect that when a squirrel is that friendly with people, it's not good. Some people will panic and injure a squirrel that tries to climb or jump on them even if the squirrel is just showing affection. I don't mean to be disturbing. My point is, you did the right thing. You saved this little guy before he found the wrong person.

(The caveat is if people over there don't mind squirrels being that friendly. In most heavily human populated places it would be a problem, imo. Are most squirrels over there that friendly with people? From what I read, it sounds like there are practically no squirrels or trees where you work and found the baby. I'm making sure I didn't misunderstand.)
    Squirrel babies are the only wildlife baby that will run up to a person seeking help. By the time they do this they are trying desperately to save their little life. It has nothing to do with 'friendliness'. Although, Rocky, you are correct and people do freak out over this behavior. They are sure that it is a rabid animal and there are many who lose their life with choosing the wrong person to save their life.

You did not kidnap! There is no way mom would have let a little one, that still needs to be nursed, out of the nest! Your instincts were right on!
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

9. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to redwuff:

DarkLies212 (09-13-2017), island rehabber (09-13-2017), Mel1959 (09-13-2017), stepnstone (09-13-2017), TubeDriver (09-13-2017)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.