Thread: adding rice baby food to formula

Default adding rice baby food to formula

I've heard that you can mix rice baby food with their formula. Mine eat till their belly is poking out and they act like they are still hungry. Wondering if I could mix a little in so that it would be a little more filling than just the formula it's self? I hate not giving them anymore formula than what I do give. They would eat more if I let them.

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rice Vinegar from:

UDoWhat (09-17-2017)

Default Re: adding rice baby food to formula

Are you already feeding them block? How old are they? What kind of formula are they drinking and how often?

“You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.” ― John Bunyan

Sammy's TSB Thread Marvin and Charlie's TSB Thread Sadie's TSB Thread

I read somewhere on here not to add rice formula. I know they can have it when they're using the BRAC treatment for diarrhea, but I don't think they are supposed to have it as part as their diet. Also, it takes a second for their brain to catch up with their tummy so as long as you are feeding the correct percentage based on weight, you'll have to be a tough momma and keep them on track. How old are they?

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to cava from:

astra (09-13-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by jlee413 View Post
    Are you already feeding them block? How old are they? What kind of formula are they drinking and how often?
    I have introduced block (HHB's). About 10 weeks, Esbilac, and every 6 hrs. Earlier was a good example fed my little girl first, when I went to feed her brother she tried really hard to take the syringe out of my hand because she still wanted more, growling and squeaking and trying her damnest to take the nipple out of his mouth. And he does the same thing if I feed him first. Any suggestions other than putting first one back in cage while I feed the other.

How much are they eating at each feeding? Are they eating any other solids beside the HHB's? I'd try to put in a regular rodent block in with them during the day for between formula feedings and start giving them veggies. It sounds like the 6 hours between feedings is too long so they are really hungry at the next feeding. Just a guess though.

“You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.” ― John Bunyan

They are old enough to have block and veggies. Start with blocks and introduce veggies only after they are eating blocks regularly. I'm curious why you won't feed them one at a time? It's normal for them to fight over food and that includes syringes during feeding.

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels

Here's the squirrel food pyramid and instructions on offering veggies and what to avoid. Introduce one thing at a time so you will know if something causes diarrhea.

Make sure they have a hanging water bottle and/or also a shallow water bowl with rocks in it.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to cava from:

astra (09-13-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by jlee413 View Post
    How much are they eating at each feeding? Are they eating any other solids beside the HHB's? I'd try to put in a regular rodent block in with them during the day for between formula feedings and start giving them veggies. It sounds like the 6 hours between feedings is too long so they are really hungry at the next feeding. Just a guess though.
    Quote Originally Posted by cava View Post
    They are old enough to have block and veggies. Start with blocks and introduce veggies only after they are eating blocks regularly. I'm curious why you won't feed them one at a time? It's normal for them to fight over food and that includes syringes during feeding.

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels

Here's the squirrel food pyramid and instructions on offering veggies and what to avoid. Introduce one thing at a time so you will know if something causes diarrhea.

Make sure they have a hanging water bottle and/or also a shallow water bowl with rocks in it.
    They're eating 15cc each. They have regular rodent block in the cage with them. Haven't shown very much intrest in it though. Which is one of the main reasons I haven't introduced any vegies yet. They have just gotten to the point of actually eating their HHB instead of just chewing on it.

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rice Vinegar from:

cava (09-13-2017)

I personally would probably try to shorten the time between feedings. It sounds like they are too hungry at feedings?

I used regular rodent block with my first babies and they wouldn't eat it, just shred it and pee on it. I bought HHB's for them and they went nuts over them. I was able to get them on blocks and quickly add veggies. They began to self wean at 9 weeks (not want the nipple, rip the nipple in half) so I put a dish with formula in their cage twice a day and they stayed on it for a very long time.