Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible or neck injury

Default Possible or neck injury

I just got what looks to be about 6 to 8 weeks I just picked him up from a family member who just found him under a log from the hurricane. His legs are moving and he peed when I picked him up. When I was checking for any broken bones he threw his head back and his front arms went straight up in the air I payed him down a he kind of rolled back and forth for a couple of seconds with arms and head thrown back still. Possible seizure ??? No blood from nose or mouth

Default Re: Possible or neck injury

That sounds like a seizure to me or the "final stretch". How is he doing now? Have you started hydration fluid and warmed him up?

I tried to give him fluid but i can't get his mouth open enough I got a couple drops but that's about it and he doesn't look like he's swallowing his head looks a little swollen but his hair is so fluffy it's hard to see. His eyes look really cloudy though and I don't think he can see me he only knows when I'm there if I touch him or make noises he only does the arm stretch thing if he's payed on his belly when he's on his sides he's fine and doesn't do it and if he rolls onto his stomach his self he doesn't do it the reach thing.

Seizure? Tetanus? I hope he can recover.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

Me too it worries me that he can't see anything. Hopefully if it is swelling once it goes down I hope he regains his sight

Do you have any pred, what strength/mg? Can you post a photo?

Have you tried giving him glucose--putting a bit of karo syrup, honey or syrup on his gums?

Are you continuing to drop by drop hydrate him? Warm the fluid.

Remember, he has to be warmed up. He may not be able to thermoregulate and needs your help. You can rub his body to stimulate blood flow, with warm wash cloths from the dryer.

You can rub his neck a bit after you put a drop in, coax him with words, rub the sides of his face, ect. Really watch to see if he is swallowing. Clean up drips as you go, it will help you keep track of what's staying in. Keep him upright so he doesn't aspirate, if he is indeed unable to swallow. Keep trying.

I'm not at home cuz of the hurricane I'm at my bfs he's at work right now but I can ask him when he gets home and see if he has anything. And I'll try to post a pic I always had trouble doing it before since I'm using my phone

Name:  IMG_1443.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  124.1 KBName:  IMG_1443.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  124.1 KB

Sorry it uploaded too that's a pic I took when I got there

Do you have a weight on him? We can get you a dose for infant ibuprofen but you cannot give that and pred at the same time.

He does look stiff and unnatural. Can he sit or lay upright by himself at all?

Name:  IMG_1444.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  65.4 KB he's a better pic of his head. He doesn't close his eyes all the way but when I touch them they close normally

No I don't like I said I had to leave my house and I honestly didn't think I would be getting another baby since most ppl found most of them yesterday. My scales at home but I can see if my bf has anything. He can lift his head if he rolls his self on his belly but not for long.

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Maisie01 from:

cava (09-12-2017)

It is not common, but we have had cases of Tetanus and your description of the arching body, and the locked jaw are consistent with Tetanus. Does he have any puncture type wounds (or any visible cuts at all?)? If not, then you can probably rule out tetanus.

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

He doesn't seem to throw his arms up unless he's moved. If he isn't moved by me he doesn't have them. I gave him a little more drops of fluid he stoped drinking it and would just let if fall out of his mouth.

Hopefully not Tetanus. Just in case, here is a video of Tetanus in a dog, you can watch it just to get a sense of some of the symptoms (it is very hard to watch but does have a happy ending).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fh7rJh3oTCk

Quote Originally Posted by Maisie01 View Post
    He doesn't seem to throw his arms up unless he's moved. If he isn't moved by me he doesn't have them. I gave him a little more drops of fluid he stoped drinking it and would just let if fall out of his mouth.

-Grateful Dead

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

cava (09-12-2017)

thank you for sharing the video even though I'm not sure that's what he has

I wish I had a solution or recognized the problem presented. As an aside, it looks to me like you joined TSB just a couple days ago. I don't know what your level of experience is, but if you need general information about how to care for adult squirrels, just let us know.

Without recognizing what's going on (and I'm not an expert or rehabber), I would keep this one in a quiet and warm place with water available if it's available to anyone right now. I hope you get the help you need. And thanks for caring for this adorable squirrel.

I wonder if a picture of a tape measure or ruler next to the squirrel would help someone guesstimate a weight?

I have an almost three year old grey who has leg problems so she's a non release. I had another account but I couldn't get into it so I made a new one. Yeah I hope he gets better and it's just from him falling and he'll get better over time I'm trying to hydrate him and he's all nice and warm right now. I told the ppl that found him that he might not make it but I said at least he's warm and safe instead of laying on the ground like he was. If he passes at least it's in peace. But I'm trying my hardest to get him hydrated and hopefully that gets him more energy to get better

21. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Maisie01:

cava (09-12-2017), TubeDriver (09-12-2017)

He does look sort of spiky (dehydrated). Two options could include sub-q if you have the equipment and training or alternatively just keep trying drop by single drop to get fluids into him. We have a recipe here for homemade pedialyte (basically water with a bit of sugar and table salt) that can help him.

Homemade Pedialyte
    1 cup warm water
    1/4 tsp salt (teaspoon)
    1 Tbsp sugar (tablespoon)

Warmth is generally VERY good but can be an issue if he has head trauma. That said, if he starts to cool off then you have no choice, get him on a heating pad.

-Grateful Dead

23. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

cava (09-12-2017)

Ok thank you he's with a rice buddy now so he's staying warm. But he's breathing through his mouth now instead of his nose like before

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast