Thread: Bulging eyes! I don't know what to do...

Grumpy Old Biker Guest

Default Bulging eyes! I don't know what to do...

Hi folks. Just joined so still learning how to use the site so bear with me. We have a two story squirrel house, a nesting box and covered feeder. All have been very popular for several years. We had three little females appear in the nesting box this year. Gizmo, Sprout, and sadly - Popeye. Her right eye began bulging out in the worst way and now both are the size of marbles. She is obviously uncomfortable and nearly blind. She falls out of the tree sometimes being chased by her sisters or Nosey, the one male who also hangs out here. We don't know what to do for her. They're all tame enough to take food from our hands but not enough to be transported to a vet. Animal control said "let nature take it's course". Big words from those who aren't witnessing her suffering. Any advice is appreciated. We have lots of squirrel stories, pics, vids to share but this one is priority.
    Thanks in advance ppl.

Default Re: Bulging eyes! I don't know what to do...

Hi, and welcome!

Do you know what kind of squirrel this is? For example, is it a Fox Squirrel (larger bodies, with grayish brown upper coat, or golden, rusty orange, beige, or cream with patchy gold underbelly); or a Red (Pine) squirrel (smaller bodied, with a red to brownish red upper coat, and white, cream, or beige underbelly, with black stripes at the margins of the upper and lower coat on its sides)?

First two are photos of a fox squirrel, the third is of a N.A. Red squirrel.

Are you able to get any close up photos of the squirrel with this condition so the members here that may be familiar with this condition can see what you are talking about? A 2nd full body photo may help also.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

How's the little girl doing? If you can't trap and transport or bring into the house to treat, do you think you could treat while in the wild? If the eyes are bulging, I would assume there is selling of the brain or some others area within the head. Do you have access to prednisone or meloxicam? If you do and you can post a picture so someone can estimate a weight and give the mg of the pill someone will help you dose it.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

island rehabber (09-08-2017)

Grumpy Old Biker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Diggie's Friend View Post
    Hi, and welcome!

Do you know what kind of squirrel this is? For example, is it a Fox Squirrel (larger bodies, with grayish brown upper coat, or golden, rusty orange, beige, or cream with patchy gold underbelly); or a Red (Pine) squirrel (smaller bodied, with a red to brownish red upper coat, and white, cream, or beige underbelly, with black stripes at the margins of the upper and lower coat on its sides)?

First two are photos of a fox squirrel, the third is of a N.A. Red squirrel.

Are you able to get any close up photos of the squirrel with this condition so the members here that may be familiar with this condition can see what you are talking about? A 2nd full body photo may help also.
    Just a common grey squirrel as far as I know. I do have a good facial shot if I can figure out how to attach it..
    Name:  20170904_111830.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  158.0 KB

Grumpy Old Biker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    How's the little girl doing? If you can't trap and transport or bring into the house to treat, do you think you could treat while in the wild? If the eyes are bulging, I would assume there is selling of the brain or some others area within the head. Do you have access to prednisone or meloxicam? If you do and you can post a picture so someone can estimate a weight and give the mg of the pill someone will help you dose it.
    Yes we have both of those available. I had pet rats for years so I'm guessing, accurately, that Popeye is in the 15-17 ounce range. I have a live trap for larger critters but nothing for a teeny rodent. She's hanging out in the main level of the big house, and it has a front porch. I put a water dish up there and food daily. She tolerates me better than the other squirrels. When one goes up to steal her food it sounds like WWIII. Or a dried up axle bearing burning up.

Oh my goodness!!! Seems like something must definitely be wrong. Poor baby. I imagine she must be in pain. If she's tame enough to eat out of your hand I'd probably try to trap her and see if you can get her some treatment. Have they always been this way or is this a more recent development?

“You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.” ― John Bunyan

Sammy's TSB Thread Marvin and Charlie's TSB Thread Sadie's TSB Thread

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Jen413 from:

Nancy in New York (09-08-2017)

Not sure what is going on with that poor squirrel?

Has this been going on for a while? Has it been getting worse?
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

Grumpy Old Biker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jlee413 View Post
    Oh my goodness!!! Seems like something must definitely be wrong. Poor baby. I imagine she must be in pain. If she's tame enough to eat out of your hand I'd probably try to trap her and see if you can get her some treatment. Have they always been this way or is this a more recent development?
    Yes it is progressing. I heard the worst squirrel fight ever yesterday and when I got out there she was on the ground at the base of the tree so I'm guessing she fell again trying to escape. I approached slowly and she darted forward and ran head first into the wood pile. I also suspected intracranial pressure, and the pupil looks blown as did another responder here. We've been in contact with several wildlife saver type organizations and they're so overwhelmed right now they can't take in any more. One offered to come out and euthanize her with a painless overdose of morphine. Same as when Herman, my big ol rat, when he got cancer. One place thought she has tumors. We will stay on top of this guy's you have our word. We won't just 'wait n see what happens' cuz we care too much for these lil dudes.

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Grumpy Old Biker from:

island rehabber (09-11-2017)

Grumpy Old Biker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jlee413 View Post
    Well it started pretty much within a couple weeks of them leaving the nesting box to explore their new home. I wish I could trap just her but there's about five out there altogether. I tried to trap/relocate a skunk last year but got Mocha instead. He's an abandoned kitty we've been caring for the last few years. He wasn't happy at all. We have large Insulated cat dorms in both garages, and they are even lined with electric blankets. No abandoned kitty goes without food water and a warm safe dry place to sleep around here. Not on my shift, no way no how.

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Grumpy Old Biker from:

What is the strength of the prenisone you have? Can you take a picture of her so someone can estimate her weight and give dosing. She needs to be treated with a steroid asap, in my opinion.

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Grumpy Old Biker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    What is the strength of the prenisone you have? Can you take a picture of her so someone can estimate her weight and give dosing. She needs to be treated with a steroid asap, in my opinion.
    Thank you, sir. The Prednisone is in a 15lb cat dose so we definitely need our vet to determine what mg she needs. And how best to administer. I will make every effort to get a body pic with something in it for scale. The Meloxicam anti inflammatory is liquid form and again I need to discuss it with my sources. One thinks it's cancer or thyroid. We're on top of this best we can folks.

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Grumpy Old Biker from:

Mel1959 (09-08-2017)

Grumpy Old Biker Guest

We haven't seen her in two days. I'm afraid she may have fallen again and crawled away or under the deck. If she passed, then I'm pretty sure any help would have been too late. If this saga is over, I'll be sure to post pics etc of happier times with our little guys.

19. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Grumpy Old Biker:

Jen413 (09-11-2017), TubeDriver (09-11-2017)

Thank you for caring for these precious creatures. Most people don't realize or care what a hard life these guys have.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

21. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to redwuff:

Jen413 (09-11-2017), Rocky1 (09-11-2017), UDoWhat (09-11-2017)

I hope that she shows up again. I once got a squirrel to a vet by luring her into a travel cage with some nuts and carefully closing the door. You can block the doorway with something while you carefully close the door and latch it. There may be additional advice for once she's in the cage to keep her from panicking. Covering all but one side of the cage might help. Keeping a calm and quiet environment could help to. Talking to her if your voice calms her.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.