Thread: Can anyone help me.

davidwaghorn Guest

Default Can anyone help me.

I was told to give the squirrel Dexamethasone. I have prednisone liquid in the same family how much can I give a squirell?

Default Re: Can anyone help me.

David, prednisone is a VERY scary drug. Let me see if my wildlife books even mention it as ok for squirrels -- sit tight and I'll be right back to you.....
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Hi David Glad to see you can back.
    You Pm ed me and said you were giving your squirrel antibiotics.
    Can you tell us what kind , how much and for what reason.

Thanks that will help us to help your squirrel....did you name him/her?
    I also took the liberty of posting your PM to me in the first thread you started. Hope that was OK
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Rebecca <
    SC Wildlife Rehabilitator
    I'm a squirrel watcher, I'm a squirrel watcher, watching squirrels go by, my my my!

David try this link for rehabers in Canada.

http://www.tc.umn.edu/~devo0028/contactI.htm

Thank you Mars for helping David out with this link
    Rebecca <
    I'm a squirrel watcher, I'm a squirrel watcher, watching squirrels go by, my my my!

Buddy'sMom Guest

David! I have been watching from the sidelines so as not to get in the way of the advice you need -- you have been in very good hands with Secret Squirrel and Island Rehabber!! Along with many others, I was thrilled by your report this morning that your squirrel was eating and moving a little!! How is s/he doing this evening?

I just found out that the squirrel did NOT get any dexamethasone last night -- which makes your prednisone inquiry even more urgent (I thought earlier that you were just looking for follow-up treatment). I'm not a rehabber or a vet so I can't advise you whether prednisone is OK for squirrels or what the dosage might be. But I did want to jump in and let you know that there are people out here trying to get this information for you. We will let you know here or by PM as soon as we get any useful information (medication information is best given by PM, not on a public forum). Especially since there is some movement in his/her legs, an anti-inflammatory would have a very good chance of helping.

We know you want the best for this guy and so do we. Please keep checking back to see if we found anything. I saw the link SS gave you for local rehabbers -- any luck there? Sometimes it takes a while to locate someone, as lists aren't always up to date. But keep trying, because a local rehabber would be able to contact a vet that will help.

Thank you so much for caring enough to take care of this little one. We are all cheering you from the sidelines!

David, What kind of squirrel do you have and how much does he weight ? Approximately.
    As I was getting information from you last night that was 2 things I over looked. Very sorry about that.
    Also what is the mg/ml of the prednisone you have on hand??
    As we are working behind the scenes, but we need to hear from you ASAP. Time is very important.
    Rebecca <

I am sending a PM to David before I go to bed...this is for the members who are keeping up with this thread....Thank you for all your support.

Please feel free to chime in....we are all in this together.
    Rebecca <

Hi everyone!! Thank you all the support
    David PMed me and the squirrel is eating and drinking. No other news to tell you. *sigh*
    David is to call me this morning, so I will let you all know something when he does.
    Thank you again for being the great group of folks that you are.:wott
    Rebecca <

Hi all! Just got off the phone with David. The squirrel is getting the use of his back legs but not the front. All 4 feet have good blood circulation.
    The squirrel is alert and eating well. I gave David the number of a home rehabber that is 4 minutes from his house. He was going to call her right after our phone conversation.

David has called the wildlife center and left several messages...they were closed when he found the squirrel on Friday. And closed for the weekend and will reopen on Monday. So this squirrel has options and the chances for help are good.
    David will come back and post some pics of the squirrel and have other questions for all to answer.
    I gave him the basics for food and full spectrum lighting. David and his family are all squirrel lovers and want this squirrel to live and one day be released back into his yard.
    It's a Eastern Grey Squirrel and it a beautiful black one. I can't wait to see the pictures.
    Thank you for all your help and prayers.
    Rebecca <

Buddy'sMom Guest

Thanks for the update -- Great news!!

SS for following through --

and David and family for all you have done and are preparing to do to care for this squirrel.

We would love to hear more ..... and we LOVE pictures!

ravenlaws32 Guest

i cannot even get into chat, ive tried grrrrrrrrrrr i keep getting some error message

Red face Re: Can anyone help me.

I have Pmed David but have heard nothing in return.
    Sorry folks.....I sure hope this guy is still with us! If anyone has Pmed him or has information please feel free to share it with the board.
    Many thanks,
    SS
    Rebecca <

squirlymomma Guest

Anyone know how this baby squirrel is doing? Hope and pray that he/she is ok

Smile Re: Can anyone help me.

Here is the latest from Davidwaghorn. I recived this PM at 12:30 am this morning.

Re: How is the littel guy?
    He is in the hands of the Ontario rehab person now. It turns out he had a fractured skull. I'm hoping everything turns out OK. We miss him, and look forward to his return.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel
    Hi, just checking up on your squirrel. How is he/she doing today? Keep checking the bowles....they will tell you alot.
    Did you ever here from the wildlife center? I would like to help more if I can...we have lots of rehabbers who are willing to help....or just be there for moral support.

Drop us a note.
    Thanks,
    Becca
    Rebecca <

That poor baby!! Glad he's in good hands and (hopefully) has access to a vet now. Hang in there, little dude!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Thanks SS for the update. Sure hope he/she will be OK but so glad it is in good hands

Buddy'sMom Guest

Thanks David and Secret Squirrel for the update!

Poor squirrel!! I'm glad he was able to locate a rehabber and will hope for the little guy's recovery!!

My thoughts and prayers for the little one!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.