Thread: Hurricane Irma and I'm in the path.

Default Hurricane Irma and I'm in the path.

Hi everyone. I live in Polk County, which seems to be a magnet for hurricanes. 2004 was proof of that when 4 hurricanes went through my neighborhood. Anyway, after the storm passes, if I am able too and my house is still standing, I could take a few unfortunate squees orphaned due to the storm until someone can take them. I just saw someone in Zephyrhills who is offering to take some. I have my emergency kit ready but I would need help dosing. I am not licensed but I have successfully raised a squee to 7.5 years until she died of cancer. I have also taken in many orphans and took care of them until a rehabber was found. Just putting it out there.
    Good luck to all you Floridians during this weekend.
    I did survive hurricane Camille in 69 and I will survive this one!
    My Roxi, my girl forever. She stole my heart. She is gone but never forgotten.

2. 11 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Roxi's mom:

Chickenlegs (09-08-2017), gunpackingrandma (09-09-2017), island rehabber (09-08-2017), Jen413 (09-08-2017), Jennefer (09-08-2017), lennysmom (09-08-2017), Mel1959 (09-08-2017), Nancy in New York (09-08-2017), Rocky1 (09-10-2017), SammysMom (09-08-2017)

Default Re: Hurricane Irma and I'm in the path.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxi's mom View Post
    Hi everyone. I live in Polk County, which seems to be a magnet for hurricanes. 2004 was proof of that when 4 hurricanes went through my neighborhood. Anyway, after the storm passes, if I am able too and my house is still standing, I could take a few unfortunate squees orphaned due to the storm until someone can take them. I just saw someone in Zephyrhills who is offering to take some. I have my emergency kit ready but I would need help dosing. I am not licensed but I have successfully raised a squee to 7.5 years until she died of cancer. I have also taken in many orphans and took care of them until a rehabber was found. Just putting it out there.

What a GENEROUS offer!
    We are here for you to dose meds or anything else you need us for.
    Stay safe and keep us posted.

4. 7 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

Chickenlegs (09-08-2017), Jennefer (09-08-2017), lennysmom (09-08-2017), Mel1959 (09-08-2017), Rocky1 (09-10-2017), Roxi's mom (09-08-2017), SammysMom (09-08-2017)

Thanks Roxi's Mom...Im almost afraid of how many we'll find since this is a gigantic storm & windmaker! Keeps shifting west & makes me leary, but we are as prepared as best we can be. I cannot tell you how glad I am that I didnt put Ruby & Lulu in the release cage this past weekend. Just wasnt feeling it, and now I know why...trust your instincts! Stay safe!

6. 7 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Jennefer:

Chickenlegs (09-08-2017), gunpackingrandma (09-09-2017), lennysmom (09-08-2017), Mel1959 (09-08-2017), Nancy in New York (09-08-2017), Rocky1 (09-10-2017), Roxi's mom (09-08-2017)

Roxi's Mom, you ROCK!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Rocky1 (09-10-2017), Roxi's mom (09-08-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post

What a GENEROUS offer!
    We are here for you to dose meds or anything else you need us for.
    Stay safe and keep us posted.
    Ok thanks. All help welcome for any injuries or illness. I have a few different caps of antibiotics, 1 doxycycline capsule, 1 amoxicillin 500 mg tablet-yellow, and 3 pink amoxicillin caplets but will have to look them up. I have a gull prednisone taper pack and gabapentin 100 mg caps, unlimited. I also have cherry kaopectate. I am out of 3 ml syringes as Henry's has been out of stock. Plenty of 1 and a few 5 gram syringes. I only had a few 3ml syringes left that I'm currently using for a 6 week female someone brought me. Rhapsody is having eye surgery this month and will take her after that.

10. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Roxi's mom:

lennysmom (09-08-2017), Mel1959 (09-08-2017), Nancy in New York (09-08-2017), Rocky1 (09-10-2017)

Ok thanks. All help welcome for any injuries or illness. I have a few different caps of antibiotics, 1 doxycycline capsule, 1 amoxicillin 500 mg tablet-yellow, and 3 pink amoxicillin caplets but will have to look them up. I have a gull prednisone taper pack and gabapentin 100 mg caps, unlimited. I also have cherry kaopectate. I am out of 3 ml syringes as Henry's has been out of stock. Plenty of 1 and a few 5 gram syringes. I only had a few 3ml syringes left that I'm currently using for a 6 week female someone brought me. Rhapsody is having eye surgery this month and will take her after that.
    That pink caplet is amoxicillin trihydrate 500 mg.

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Roxi's mom from:

Rocky1 (09-10-2017)

I am also available if anyone hears of babies that need help. I'm located south of Cocoa Beach, on the east coast. I also have meds if someone needs some I can send them.

14. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

gunpackingrandma (09-09-2017), Jennefer (09-08-2017), lennysmom (09-08-2017), Nancy in New York (09-08-2017), Rocky1 (09-10-2017)

In the event that you do not have internet, you can text me at 203 214-7427 for dosing help. Stay safe!
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

16. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SammysMom:

Jennefer (09-08-2017), Nancy in New York (09-08-2017), Rocky1 (09-10-2017), Roxi's mom (09-09-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    I am also available if anyone hears of babies that need help. I'm located south of Cocoa Beach, on the east coast. I also have meds if someone needs some I can send them.
    Thread jack--I am in Costa Rica-but I used to live in Indialantic ,FL, just... south of Cocoa Beach..

18. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stosh2010:

Jennefer (09-08-2017), Mel1959 (09-10-2017), Rocky1 (09-10-2017)

I'm in AL but could help if y'all get overwhelmed. I'm not sure what kind of wind gusts we may get or if it will orphan babies but am willing to help wherever I can.

“You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.” ― John Bunyan

Sammy's TSB Thread Marvin and Charlie's TSB Thread Sadie's TSB Thread

20. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Jen413:

Jennefer (09-08-2017), Nancy in New York (09-08-2017), Rocky1 (09-10-2017), Roxi's mom (09-09-2017)

Do you have the ability to print out a table of dosage per med. I could send that to you now. Most likely you will lose cp capabilities. Would that help you?
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

22. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to redwuff:

Rocky1 (09-10-2017), UDoWhat (09-11-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by SammysMom View Post
    In the event that you do not have internet, you can text me at 203 214-7427 for dosing help. Stay safe!
    Thanks SammysMom!

24. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Roxi's mom from:

Rocky1 (09-10-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    Do you have the ability to print out a table of dosage per med. I could send that to you now. Most likely you will lose cp capabilities. Would that help you?
    Yes, you can email mysoldierjoe@yahoo.com and I will print it. Thanks so much!

26. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Roxi's mom from:

Rocky1 (09-10-2017)

OK update we made it through the hurricane last night and miraculously still have power. I just found two babies with their eyes open on the side of the house under the branches. I brought them in to get them warm and I'm going to get some warm rehydration in them. They are wet and dirty, but I will take care and f the dirt later. I am going to head out and look for maybe a third if there is one or any other orphans. we have a lot of oak trees around the neighborhood, so I have a 7 week old and now 2 approximately 4-5 week old squees. I will need to go get some more esbilac and 3 ml syringes. I have 4 used ones and 2 new ones. I hope Henry's has them in stock now. I can use my 1 ml now but they will need them later. I'm headed out for now I will be back later.

28. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Roxi's mom from:

lennysmom (09-11-2017)

Yes, you can email mysoldierjoe@yahoo.com and I will print it. Thanks so much!
    I checked my email and I don't see an email from you or does chart if maybe you could send it again.

I now have 4 orphans that are four to five weeks old, with their eyes open, so they fit right in with the first two. one was found by my sons girlfriend who was driving over here and saw it on the hood of her car on top of the windshield wiper, so it was a lucky girl I believe, and #4 I found where the first two were this morning. It was trying to cling the air conditioner unit. Little bugger bit me but didn't break skin. I put them in with the older orphan that I have that's about seven weeks old, but then put her in a separate cage when I added #4 to the bin. she seems to be getting a little irritated with them with being crowded I guess, but was not bothering them with 3 in with her, but I figured 4 was asking too much. The last two were dry and alert, but the first two were pretty cold. They are warm now and about to get more warm hydration

31. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Roxi's mom:

island rehabber (09-11-2017), lennysmom (09-11-2017), Mel1959 (09-11-2017), Nancy in New York (09-11-2017)

So glad you are there to help those babies in need after the storm Roxi's mom. They are blessed little ones to have fallen into caring hands after the hurricane. Who knows what would have happened to them if you hadn't found them. And on the hood of a car too?! So glad they are all are safe and warm now.
    Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

"Don't cry because it's over - smile because it happened." Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by lennysmom View Post
    So glad you are there to help those babies in need after the storm Roxi's mom. They are blessed little ones to have fallen into caring hands after the hurricane. Who knows what would have happened to them if you hadn't found them. And on the hood of a car too?! So glad they are all are safe and warm now.
    After I had a chance to come in and really take care of them and weigh them I noticed that one of them had a bloody nose and I'm not sure what else. it seems to be fine other than that, except she is very lethargic. They have all taken some warm hydration fluid, one more so than the others. three of them are around 90 g but the other one is about 100 g and seems the healthiest. the two I found this morning that were wet are the weakest, with one having been injured, so any suggestions. They have all been hydrated twice but they don't seem dehydrated so should formula be the next feeding at 3 to 1?

I would think so. They couldn't have been without mom for too long.

35. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

lennysmom (09-11-2017), Roxi's mom (09-12-2017)

I had to move the injured one to the life-threatening thread and he did pass overnight but the other three are well, I have an older one so four. two are taking more than one of the three that I got yesterday. I have to get her a little more encouraged but so far so good.