Thread: Does this look like MDB?

Default Does this look like MDB?

Hi yall.

In the aftermath of Harvey a friend of a friend found a young female squirrel. A few days later (thurs) brought to me. Our rehabs are OVERWHELMED.

Eyes closed, she was dehydrated and underweight and lethargic. The person had been feeding her KMV and human infant formula.

I warmed and started rehydrating her. By Friday evening I had her better hydrated but still not perked up.

I had a brand new package of Fox Valley Day one in the freezer and fed her that watered down for a couple days. She was not improving, so I pulled out the esbilac on sunday and now shes up and moving around.. Eyes started opening on Sat fully opened yesterday and today shes up and perky and responsive to voice and touch, but her movements are a little jerky.

Can anyone with experience with MDB in babies please take a look at my video from this morning and give an opinion?

Thanks in advance!!!

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Pipo from:

redwuff (09-04-2017)

Default Re: Does this look like MDB?

Welcome to TSB!!! There are many experts on here and I am not one of them. But, first thank you for caring for this baby.

We have all watched with sadness and hope for you folks in Texas and we have several members there. Since the squirrel was very likely cared for by her mother until the storm, I would think it's doubtful that it is MBD. From the short video it looks more like a possible neuro issue, but it also could just be a young squirrel regaining her coordination.

Hopefully others will chime in soon. So, check back often.

As long as this baby is being fed properly, there should be no worry about MBD. Stay with the Esbilac mixed 1 powder to 2 water. How many times a day are you feeding?

This does not look like MBD to me. Just looking at her in the video she seems to be a wobbly normal 6+ week old. I have not done a physical exam so I am only going on the short video. Have you palpated her back legs to feel for any swelling or recent broken bones that may have already calcified? Something like that could cause her to be unsteady. I really think she is just young and a bit unsteady Yes, a little under weight. She will catch up in your good care. She is darling.
    Last edited by UDoWhat; 09-04-2017 at 08:30 PM. Reason: correct formula mix

Quote Originally Posted by UDoWhat View Post
    As long as this baby is being fed properly, there should be no worry about MBD. Stay with the Esbilac mixed 1 powder to 2 water. How many times a day are you feeding?

This does not look like MBD to me. Just looking at her in the video she seems to be a wobbly normal 6+ week old. I have not done a physical exam so I am only going on the short video. Have you palpated her back legs to feel for any swelling or recent broken bones that may have already calcified? Something like that could cause her to be unsteady. I really think she is just young and a bit unsteady Yes, a little under weight. She will catch up in your good care. She is darling.

Scott...Thank you she certainly fell out of a tall pine tree in the middle of the worst storm ever.

UDoWhat she eats 4 times a day. She was on a homemade rehydration fluid (from Henry's) thurs and friday in between fox valley day one feedings. She would take a good 3 ccs of fluids eagerly getting the fox valley in was not so eager but I think I still got 3cc in. SAT moved to 3 to 1 esbilac. SUN moved to 2 to 1 esbilac. Since starting the esbilac eats 5cc.

First poops were like tiny bbs that clinked in the sink, now more normal in shape and light brown. First urine I stimulated out of her was green/black. 4 hours later it was normal and has remained normal.

SHE CONSTANTLY HAS SMELLED LIKE PEE! even on her head! I would give her a bath before feeding to stimulate her and wake her up, she would eliminate. Dry, burrito, feed, put her back and when I go back shes strong urine smelling...which seriously interrupts my head kissing experience.

I stupidly didn't even think to palpitate, but just did with no issues. She splays a lot, and her nails catch on everything. She seemed like her rear was lowering when she started moving around.

Thank you for taking the time to respond. This is all more info than you asked for lol. I'm a worry wart.

Sounds like she is on the right track now! Thank YOU for caring for her!

I am curious if the FV was the 32/40 or the 20/50 version?

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Sounds like she is on the right track now! Thank YOU for caring for her!

I am curious if the FV was the 32/40 or the 20/50 version?
    Spanky

I have since thrown it out so I can not verify for sure. I bought it last year from Henry's. It was part of the "Baby Squirrel Kit B". Looking at that kit today it is Fox Valley Formula 20/50. I never used it because I had Esbilac at the time and the ingredients looked pretty much the same. It went into the freezer. It had been in the freezer probably 9mo but didn't expire until 2018.

Esbilac smells better to me too, and I like to see the fats floating in it.

Shes doing great BTW - this was just a panic session of mine. Thank you everyone for entertaining my moment.