Thread: Is it pneumonia??

Lili Guest

Unhappy Is it pneumonia??

Hi everyone!

I'm Lili from Mexico and rescued a baby squirrel when she was about 1 week old, she's now 6/7 weeks old and I noticed something different this morning when she makes her little noises, but she doesn't have a clicking sound when she breathes though (?), it's when she makes her little noises that I noticed it sounds different, like phlegm.

If it's pneumonia, does anyone know what antibiotic and quantity to give her? I'm in the south of Mexico and there are no rehabilitators in the area, the vets in town are mostly for pets/farm animals, one already sold me Hartz formula and told me it was a good formula, it was until she got really skinny and nearly dies that I discovered what a crappy formula that one is, so now I'm affraid the vets here could give her the wrong treatment.

I really appreciate your help!

Cheers!
    Lili

Default Re: Is it pneumonia??

Quote Originally Posted by Lili View Post
    Hi everyone!

I'm Lili from Mexico and rescued a baby squirrel when she was about 1 week old, she's now 6/7 weeks old and I noticed something different this morning when she makes her little noises, but she doesn't have a clicking sound when she breathes though (?), it's when she makes her little noises that I noticed it sounds different, like phlegm.

If it's pneumonia, does anyone know what antibiotic and quantity to give her? I'm in the south of Mexico and there are no rehabilitators in the area, the vets in town are mostly for pets/farm animals, one already sold me Hartz formula and told me it was a good formula, it was until she got really skinny and nearly dies that I discovered what a crappy formula that one is, so now I'm affraid the vets here could give her the wrong treatment.

I really appreciate your help!

Cheers!
    Lili
    What formula is she on now?
    We recommend Esbilac powdered puppy formula with the third ingredient being dried whey protein concentrate.

How oftern are you feeding and what amount?
    What is her weight? You need an accurate weight to feed them correctly,
    and we will need her weight to dose any medicines.

IF she needs antibiotics, you would need Clavamox (animal antibiotic) or Augmentin (human), or Baytril (animal)or Cipro (human)

Thank you for helping this little one.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

stepnstone (09-03-2017)

Lili Guest

Thanks a lot for your reply!

She's been on Esbilac since the problem with Hartz, I didn't manage to get the protein nor plain whipping cream (hard to believe, I know!, they all have added flavors and sugar) I managed to contact a Rehabilitator at the time through email and he said it was still ok to feed just Esbilac.

For the last week she's been eating 7/8cc every 4 hours, she weights 80gr, yesterday and today she's been eating about 6cc every 4 hours, but has been eating more fruit, she stops eating the milk to turn around and eat her fruit, she also has Zupreem chow in her box and she has started to try it. Also, she spends more time awake and starts to play. I haven't noticed any negative changes in behavior as she's still playful today.

One more thing, would you recommend to give her a reinforcement shot of vitamins or calcium? I have thought about this because of the issue with Harts at the begining, I really don't want that to cause her more problems in the future.

I can't access the forum from a mexican IP, so I downloaded a temporary hotspot to create a U.S IP address and be able to post, but not sure how long that will last, so would really appreciate any email contacts in case I'm not longer available to access the forum, here's also my email: lili_vinas85@hotmail.com

Thank you so much for your help!! I never expected to raise a baby squirrel, but I really look forward to release her as healthy as possible.

Lili Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    What formula is she on now?
    We recommend Esbilac powdered puppy formula with the third ingredient being dried whey protein concentrate.

How oftern are you feeding and what amount?
    What is her weight? You need an accurate weight to feed them correctly,
    and we will need her weight to dose any medicines.

IF she needs antibiotics, you would need Clavamox (animal antibiotic) or Augmentin (human), or Baytril (animal)or Cipro (human)

Thank you for helping this little one.
    What would be the dossage for her? I've actually got Cipro, but only 2 tabs of 500mg, is that going to be enough for the treatment?

Thanks again!

Hold her up to your ear like a phone and listen for clicking with each inhale and exhale. If you hear clicking then you need to dose with antibiotics. Please let us know and someone will be able to advise you on how to reconstitute the pill and dose according to her weight.

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Grinderhead (09-03-2017)

Lili Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Hold her up to your ear like a phone and listen for clicking with each inhale and exhale. If you hear clicking then you need to dose with antibiotics. Please let us know and someone will be able to advise you on how to reconstitute the pill and dose according to her weight.
    I've done that and still no clicking, but when she's to make her usual noises I can clearly hear like phlegm, is it possible it could be a cold? I'm actually pretty worried and not sure if she's getting fever now, I called the vet, but no service today as it's Sunday (they'll see her until tomorrow morning), I feel her a bit warmer than usual, they told me that for the mean time to use wet cloths to bring fever down ...?? < is this right?

Lili Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    There is clicking now I can't notice it on every breath, but every few breathings I can hear a slight click.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.