Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Adult Grey paralyzed on left side

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Asheville NC
    Posts
    55
    Thanked: 34

    Default Adult Grey paralyzed on left side

    I had an adult male grey squirrel brought to me by a friend who found him in her yard. He is rather lethargic, but still tries to climb and run away. Unfortunately, he seems to be paralyzed on his left side, both front and rear leg. He doesnt seem to be in pain, though- he just cant move his left side. He has 4 different puncture wounds on his left side as well, they seem to be healing, and no redness around them. I am weighing him to get an appropriate dose for antibiotics. Has anyone had experience with a paralyzed adult? He doesnt mind being handled and petted, but I think that is a result of being terrified and frustrated. I have him in a fleece wrap in a cage, tried to give him water with a syringe, but he doesnt want to take it. I have also crushed up some fresh fruit and a pecan, but again he doesnt want to take it. Im putting his cage half on a heating pad now, and giving him some time to rest. If anyone has any suggestions or experience with paralysis, I am all ears. Poor little guy.

    PS, this may be more appropriate for the non-life threatening thread- I just realized.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Asheville NC
    Posts
    55
    Thanked: 34

    Default Re: Adult Grey paralyzed on left side

    Here are photos of the wounds. They look about the size of a squirrel bite.

    Name:  20170903_125849[1].jpg
Views: 52
Size:  70.5 KBName:  20170903_125838[1].jpg
Views: 53
Size:  65.5 KBName:  20170903_125827[1].jpg
Views: 53
Size:  69.1 KB

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    SC (Madison)
    Posts
    5,287
    Thanked: 5198

    Default Re: Adult Grey paralyzed on left side

    I have treated several paralyzed adults, but those were HBC (hit by car) and not attacks like this appears to be...

    What antibiotics do you have available? Once you have a weight and we ID an appropriate antibiotic we'll (collective TSB) get it dosed.

    The bad news is those wounds look several days old and treating paralysis is a "time is of the essence"... the good news is I doubt he has been paralyzed since he suffered those punctures, so hopefully the paralysis is recent.. maybe from infection or swelling? Or swelling from an infection?

    Do you have access to any prednisone, prednisolone or dexamethasone? And / or Gabapentin?

    PS I am not thinking those are squirrel bites... maybe dog/cat bit or talon punctures?

  4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

    Curtlawyer (09-03-2017), Nancy in New York (09-03-2017)

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    SC (Madison)
    Posts
    5,287
    Thanked: 5198

    Default Re: Adult Grey paralyzed on left side

    Quote Originally Posted by Curtlawyer View Post
    I'm putting his cage half on a heating pad now, and giving him some time to rest. If anyone has any suggestions or experience with paralysis, I am all ears. Poor little guy.

    PS, this may be more appropriate for the non-life threatening thread- I just realized.
    Dark and quiet goes a very, very long ways with these wild ones.

    I think the post is best here in the ER to get more eyes on it...

  6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

    Curtlawyer (09-03-2017), Nancy in New York (09-03-2017)

  7. #5
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Asheville NC
    Posts
    55
    Thanked: 34

    Default Re: Adult Grey paralyzed on left side

    I don't have steroids. I do have clavimox and doxy. I haven't started him yet, I'm trying to get him comfortable enough to eat and drink. I got a little water in him with a syringe, and got him to eat a bit of avocado, but he is still terrified. I don't think he's been paralyzed all that long either. He was found in someone's yard in this condition. I imagine some animal would have gotten ahold of him had he been there long.

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    SC (Madison)
    Posts
    5,287
    Thanked: 5198

    Default Re: Adult Grey paralyzed on left side

    Quote Originally Posted by Curtlawyer View Post
    I don't have steroids. I do have clavimox and doxy. I haven't started him yet, I'm trying to get him comfortable enough to eat and drink. I got a little water in him with a syringe, and got him to eat a bit of avocado, but he is still terrified. I don't think he's been paralyzed all that long either. He was found in someone's yard in this condition. I imagine some animal would have gotten ahold of him had he been there long.
    When you get a weight, let's get him started on the Clavimox.

    Maybe reach out to friends and family for the steroids? Worse case I can get meds to Cherokee tomorrow....

  9. #7
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Asheville NC
    Posts
    55
    Thanked: 34

    Default Re: Adult Grey paralyzed on left side

    Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    When you get a weight, let's get him started on the Clavimox.

    Maybe reach out to friends and family for the steroids? Worse case I can get meds to Cherokee tomorrow....

    I can get it tomorrow morning. Ill know the strength when I get to my sister, who has it. He weighs about 400g. He was wiggling, so it was hard to get him still enough to let the scale settle, but 400 is within 10 g one way or the other.

    I have Clavimox 125.

    He moved his back left leg some, trying to squirm.

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    43,957
    Thanked: 21504

    Default Re: Adult Grey paralyzed on left side

    Quote Originally Posted by Curtlawyer View Post
    I can get it tomorrow morning. Ill know the strength when I get to my sister, who has it. He weighs about 400g. He was wiggling, so it was hard to get him still enough to let the scale settle, but 400 is within 10 g one way or the other.

    I have Clavimox 125.

    He moved his back left leg some, trying to squirm.
    I will dose the Clavamox 125mg in a pm for a 400 gram squirrel.
    Give me one minute.

    Edit:
    Dosing sent.

  11. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

    Curtlawyer (09-04-2017), Spanky (09-04-2017)

  12. #9
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Asheville NC
    Posts
    55
    Thanked: 34

    Default Re: Adult Grey paralyzed on left side

    Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    I will dose the Clavamox 125mg in a pm for a 400 gram squirrel.
    Give me one minute.

    Edit:
    Dosing sent.
    Thank you. I also have the prednisone. I have a 5 and a 20.

  13. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    East coast of Florida
    Posts
    7,844
    Thanked: 10691

    Default Re: Adult Grey paralyzed on left side

    I'm sorry I can't help with the dosing. I do know that sometimes the puncture wounds can cause nerve damage. If that's the case it can take several weeks to see improvement, but staying on steroids is your best bet. He could have been injured if he was dropped by a raptor. One of my releases was bit on the arm by another squirrel and he didn't regain use of it for more than a week.

  14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

    Curtlawyer (09-04-2017)

  15. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    43,957
    Thanked: 21504

    Default Re: Adult Grey paralyzed on left side

    Quote Originally Posted by Curtlawyer View Post
    Thank you. I also have the prednisone. I have a 5 and a 20.

    Dosing sent.
    Do you by any chance have Gabapentin?

  16. #12
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Asheville NC
    Posts
    55
    Thanked: 34

    Default Re: Adult Grey paralyzed on left side

    Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post

    Dosing sent.
    Do you by any chance have Gabapentin?
    I will look, but that doesnt sound familiar

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •