Thread: New serious problem with pooping

Exclamation New serious problem with pooping

so, this is about a 5-6wk old baby boy who has had a diarrhea problem. After trying different diets and other things, a dose of Baycox seems to have firmed his poop up.

BUT...

apparently as a result of diarrhea, it became painful for him to poop.
    So, now he seems to be afraid to poop, to actually push poop out.
    Because the poop accumulates at the very opening of his anus, but he does not push it out.
    It's not constipation, at least not as it is commonly known when poop becomes "stopped" and hardened inside. Here - it is right at the very opening of his anus. But because he holds it and doesn't push, the anus becomes distended, which must be painful, and the opening even more irritated and bigger.
    I've been giving him warm baths to help release this accumulated poop, but if he liked the baths before, now he knows what's coming and squirms and squeaks. Right now there came out an especially large portion of poop and I think the poop little guy had white tears because it was painful - his anus is all irritated and red.

What can be done in this situation?

Should I give him infant ibuprofen so that he does not feel pain (or at least, not as much) and begins to poop normal so that his anus finally can start healing?

Anything else?

His poop does not seem hard - more of a normal consistency, not hard.

Because if he continues to hold back like that, his anus will not become better, but worse and it will turn into a major problem.

Default Re: New serious problem with pooping

Rodents can have a condition called megacolon. Their colon becomes enlarged and their neurons don't send the message to their muscles to expel the feces. Many times it results in constipation. My dwarf squirrel suffers from it and is on two Rx medications (Cisapride and Metoclopramide) 2 times a day. One drug helps the upper GI tract propel food through and the other helps the lower intestine propel waste through. My guy has been on the medication for over a year and he is doing great. You might want to read about the condition at http:ratguide.com/health/ I got a handout from my vet from this website that shows the recommended diet of a rat with this condition.

I'm not saying this is what your guy has, but it might be worth looking into.

You might try some preparation H on his rectum to help with swelling and discomfort.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

astra (08-30-2017)

yes, i am aware of the megacolon, but i doubt this is it because before the darn diarrhea he could poop on his own just fine.

THis is a direct result from the diarrhea. Could use pre. h, of course. But i am concerned that if he continues to hold everything in due to pain, even prep. H may not help as much because his holding it in will keep distending the anus, which will keep it irritated abd which, in turn, will be undoing whatever prep. h will be healing.
    that's why was thinking of, mabye, giving ibuprofen for pain so that he starts pooping normal and lets his anus begin to heal
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Rodents can have a condition called megacolon. Their colon becomes enlarged and their neurons don't send the message to their muscles to expel the feces. Many times it results in constipation. My dwarf squirrel suffers from it and is on two Rx medications (Cisapride and Metoclopramide) 2 times a day. One drug helps the upper GI tract propel food through and the other helps the lower intestine propel waste through. My guy has been on the medication for over a year and he is doing great. You might want to read about the condition at http:ratguide.com/health/ I got a handout from my vet from this website that shows the recommended diet of a rat with this condition.

I'm not saying this is what your guy has, but it might be worth looking into.

You might try some preparation H on his rectum to help with swelling and discomfort.

Hi Astra, we have a nr 2 year old grey that came in as a 2-3 day old. At 12 days old he was at the vets cos he couldn't get his poop out and did what your little one did. The poop stayed at the end and did not come out with out help. That phase lasted til he was 5 m/o. The thing that helped us the most was a stool softener called lactalose. Even tho your guy just came off a period of diarrhea, I would use something to slightly soften stool and the most important thing you can do is to get that stool out each time you feed.

We would massage around his anus to move the stool down and then drop it out. It was a miserable time. It hurt him but we got a routine and he was the best boy ever. He got over it and only had one more incident of poo back up when we were thinking of releasing him. Convenient, right? He has not had a problem for over a year. We read all the mega colon stuff and figured that is what he had. By the way, all mammals can get mega colon.

The furkin around in his butt was tough but we knew it had to be done.
    Also, our vet said not to use preparation H. It's job is to contract the blood vessels to lessen the blood flow to a hemorrhoid. In this case you want the blood to support the tissue as much as possible. I was using it too.

We did use a dose of Metacam to help with the pain. I'm sure ibuprofen infant will help. Let me know if there is anything else I can share.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to redwuff:

astra (08-30-2017), Mel1959 (08-31-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    Hi Astra, we have a nr 2 year old grey that came in as a 2-3 day old. At 12 days old he was at the vets cos he couldn't get his poop out and did what your little one did. The poop stayed at the end and did not come out with out help. That phase lasted til he was 5 m/o. The thing that helped us the most was a stool softener called lactalose.
    Is this something easily found at the pharmacy?... how do you dose something like that, or is it just "a little bit" type of thing?... are there children and adult grades, or is it all the same?...
    I may not find the stuff exactly like yours, but i am sure they have something similar here (or does it have a brand name or something).
    Is it given with food, without food etc?

Even tho your guy just came off a period of diarrhea, I would use something to slightly soften stool and the most important thing you can do is to get that stool out each time you feed.
    I want to do something right now (b/c until morning I, obviously, won't get to the pharmacy) - if I get more of the Align probiotic, i wonder if that will help soften the stool, or if it will only affect his bowl movement (making it even more frequent and thus, making it even more painful for him... )

Yes, I get it out, but the poor little guy hates it, squirms and squirms and squeaks, and today I even saw some white tears...

We would massage around his anus to move the stool down and then drop it out. It was a miserable time. It hurt him but we got a routine and he was the best boy ever. He got over it and only had one more incident of poo back up when we were thinking of releasing him. Convenient, right? He has not had a problem for over a year. We read all the mega colon stuff and figured that is what he had. By the way, all mammals can get mega colon.
    he is supposed to be released in the future, so I really hope this can go away soon enough and for good.
    The reason I don't think it's megacolon is that megacolon has more to do with internal work of the GIT, but his GIT seems to be doing fine bringing the poop right to the opening and that's where it stops - I can see it peaking...

Also, our vet said not to use preparation H. It's job is to contract the blood vessels to lessen the blood flow to a hemorrhoid. In this case you want the blood to support the tissue as much as possible. I was using it too.
    ok, then I won't use it. Makes sense.

We did use a dose of Metacam to help with the pain. I'm sure ibuprofen infant will help. Let me know if there is anything else I can share.
    I don't have metacam, but I can get infant ibuprofen tomorrow. So, I will use it. The first dose can be loading, right?

Hi Astra, we have a nr 2 year old grey that came in as a 2-3 day old.
    is this megacolon issue that made him nr?

Quote Originally Posted by astra View Post
    Is this something easily found at the pharmacy?... how do you dose something like that, or is it just "a little bit" type of thing?... are there children and adult grades, or is it all the same?...
    I may not find the stuff exactly like yours, but i am sure they have something similar here (or does it have a brand name or something).
    Is it given with food, without food etc?

This is a prescription drug.

I want to do something right now (b/c until morning I, obviously, won't get to the pharmacy) - if I get more of the Align probiotic, i wonder if that will help soften the stool, or if it will only affect his bowl movement (making it even more frequent and thus, making it even more painful for him... )

I googled natural stool softeners for children and a lot of sites came up.

Yes, I get it out, but the poor little guy hates it, squirms and squirms and squeaks, and today I even saw some white tears...

Yea, we know all about that

he is supposed to be released in the future, so I really hope this can go away soon enough and for good.
    The reason I don't think it's megacolon is that megacolon has more to do with internal work of the GIT, but his GIT seems to be doing fine bringing the poop right to the opening and that's where it stops - I can see it peaking...

Same thing with our boy.

ok, then I won't use it. Makes sense.

I don't have metacam, but I can get infant ibuprofen tomorrow. So, I will use it. The first dose can be loading, right?

Pretty sure no loading dose with ibuprofen.

Good luck with that sweet baby
    redwuff
    State Licensed

Would something like Sorbitol work?
    If so, I wonder if pharmacies would carry this.

https://www.amazon.com/SORBITOL-Solu...words=Sorbitol
    Last edited by Nancy in New York; 08-31-2017 at 07:19 AM.

11. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

astra (09-01-2017), Mel1959 (08-31-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by astra View Post
    is this megacolon issue that made him nr?
    We now do not believe he has megacolon. The vet is not sure what went on with him.
    We were preparing to put him in the RC when his anus got huge. I don't think we noticed he was backed up. He had not had an issue at that time for six mo. Thought he was good to go. This back up enlarged his anus so much that Vet did a few stitches to it and we talked the big E if this did not clear. It miraculously did, but we felt that if this happened in the wild, it would be a painful slow death. He also had the personality to stay behind....big, sweet, and gooofy.

Don't freak on your little one. It will turn out all right.
    redwuff
    State Licensed

13. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to redwuff:

astra (08-31-2017), Mel1959 (08-31-2017)

Has anyone ever used stuff for diaper rash in babies?

I'm trying to find what I could apply to his very red anus.
    So ointment for diaper rash?
    Coconut oil?
    Something else?

I've used Desitin but can't do that with a licker--zinc oxide doncha know. A&D ointment is good.

16. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Chickenlegs:

Silvadene Cream --- perfect for this. Clears up diaper rash and urine scald in just a few hours.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

18. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Quote Originally Posted by Chickenlegs View Post
    I've used Desitin but can't do that with a licker--zinc oxide doncha know. A&D ointment is good.
    Yes, that is my concern - licking. He's not a licker, really, but can't guarantee he won't decide to lick. He's a little sq, after all...

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    Silvadene Cream --- perfect for this. Clears up diaper rash and urine scald in just a few hours.
    Yes, silvadene works wonders, but I don't have it. it would be just perfect with silvadene...