Thread: One nostril blocked, mouth breathing

Exclamation One nostril blocked, mouth breathing

So, guess who got two more babies? Anyway, I have two approximately 4 week old babies...siblings. Found on the ground in a garage a day apart. So skinny you can see their ribs. They have been hydrated & are eating well. They were really dirty when I got them. The little girl (I got her yesterday) had a bunch of dirt in her nostrils. I got one cleared out but couldn't get the other completely cleared. Today, her nostril is red and swollen. She's breathing through one nostril and with her mouth open. I called the vet & the tech suggested putting some olive oil on the nostril/dirt in the hopes that it would penetrate & loosen up. No such luck. She is eating, but it's a slow process since she can't breathe very well when she latches onto the nipple. I'm going to call the vet again tomorrow, possibly take her in. Any suggestions?

Name:  20170829_192115 resized.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  84.5 KBName:  20170829_184436 edit.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  79.4 KB
    Last edited by Legomom; 08-29-2017 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Adding pictures
    Shanon, Squammy to...

Default Re: One nostril blocked, mouth breathing

A warm washcloth might help to soften the dirt. Steam from a boiling pot also helps open breathing passages. i don't think baby nepsynephrine would be a good choice since you're dealing with a blockage. Her nose is probably red from being rubbed. I'd put a little tiny bit of antibiotic salve on it, but massage it in well.

3. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

island rehabber (08-29-2017), Legomom (08-29-2017), redwuff (08-29-2017)