Thread: Sudden Illness

Question Sudden Illness

Our beloved (California gray) squirrel of the wild (Racqui) who has been visiting us daily for the past two years (her approximate age: she has had a couple of litters) seems to have suddenly taken ill. The symptoms are as follows:

* Her former muscularity has changed to softness.

* She has some kind of black growth around her mouth.

* She is showing signs of hair loss.

* Behaviorally, she is exhibiting timidity and fear, in sharp contrast with the high level of comfort previously exhibited.

We have always been careful to feed her only food that is deemed healthy for squirrels and to never overfeed her. The only change environmentally that we can think of is that the association here recently engaged an arborist to trim the trees and in the process of doing so, her nest was destroyed (the kits from her most recent litter are grown).

As she is a wild squirrel, we cannot take her to a vet but if anyone has any suggestions as to what we might feed her to help her make it through whatever is ailing her, that would be most appreciated.

Dan
    Racqui's story: 25LifeLessons.com

Default Re: Sudden Illness

Dan a picture is worth a thousand words
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

Spanky (08-29-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    Dan a picture is worth a thousand words
    I'll try to get a photo at the earliest opportunity and post it.

Is it an actual growth or staining around the mouth?
    I don't know if you have black walnuts but this time of year (when the tres are full of black walnuts) we always get inquires about squirrels with black around the mouth and snout. The black walnuts make a mess of their face.

Henry's Healthy blocks are usually accepted by most wilds. I'd try the picky eater or wild bite versions. They can be purchased online at Henry's Pets. They are packed with nutritional goodies, so a couple a day is all that's needed.

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Scott (08-29-2017)

Default Re: Sudden Illness (Photos)

Name:  Racqui_2B.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  137.0 KBName:  Racqui_1B.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  135.1 KBName:  Racqui_3B.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  64.6 KB

We have uploaded photos with a view from the front and both sides. On her left side, you may note that the black growth is also around her eye.

Thank you for your interest and whatever insight/information you can share with us.

Dan that black stuff does look like black walnut but not completely sure. She lookes like she has been nursing recently. Can you talk more about what you see different in her. If there is a need for antibiotics, if, then we can help you with that. But otherwise the most important thing you can do is augment her diet in a positive way.
    redwuff
    State Licensed

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Henry's Healthy blocks are usually accepted by most wilds. I'd try the picky eater or wild bite versions. They can be purchased online at Henry's Pets. They are packed with nutritional goodies, so a couple a day is all that's needed.
    Hey Mel, do you think the immune booster would help here?
    redwuff
    State Licensed

Dan that black stuff does look like black walnut but not completely sure. She lookes like she has been nursing recently. Can you talk more about what you see different in her. If there is a need for antibiotics, if, then we can help you with that. But otherwise the most important thing you can do is augment her diet in a positive way.
    Thanks very much for your interest and concern.

In response to your questions:

1. As it happens, I previously obtained a detailed inventory table of all the trees in the community. When I search the PDF for "walnut," the only hits I get are California walnut and European walnut. No black walnut.

2. She hasn't been nursing for at least three-plus months. I can say that with certainty because she visits us daily (usually twice a day), allowing us to monitor her pregnancies, which are accompanied by ravenous hunger.

3. What we notice that is different about her, aside from the black matter on various parts of her anatomy (mouth, left eye, paws and underside) are the three items previously mentioned:

* Her body is softer/less muscular (which we ascertain through the gentle massage to which she has become accustomed).
    * She is showing signs of hair loss (spots on her body and ears), though not extreme.
    * Behaviorally, she is exhibiting timidity and fear inconsistent with the last couple of years, though she will still eventually sit on my knee and enjoy gentle massage as she is eating.

Previously, she had a bout with fleas. We ordered the medication recommended by someone here (I think it came from Australia) and eventually she got over that.

That's about all that occurs to me at this time.

Hey Dan, I sealed my driveway this spring and it looked like what is on her. Anyone around you seal their driveway, or is there any paving on streets that has happened recently.?
    redwuff
    State Licensed

13. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to redwuff:

Mel1959 (08-30-2017), Milo's Mom (08-29-2017)

Hey Dan, I sealed my driveway this spring and it looked like what is on her. Anyone around you seal their driveway, or is there any paving on streets that has happened recently.?
    We live in a condominium community, with no individual driveways. The parking lot/carport areas were repaved last year, as were the roofs. Our squirrel's territory doesn't seem to exceed the boundaries of our association (we observe her daily within that territory).

That being said, we're on good terms with the association manager. I will email him in the morning with the photos, to ask whether he has any ideas about some type of sealant work that is going on somewhere that may have somehow escaped our attention.

Thank you for asking.

15. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Dan:

Mel1959 (08-30-2017), redwuff (08-30-2017)

Hey Mel, do you think the immune booster would help here?
    Good question, Redwuff. I think anytime the body is stressed, as would be the case with a pregnant or lactating female, offering additional nutrition and supplements would be helpful. The immune barrier that Redwuff is referring to is called Liquid Immune Barrier and comes from California Academy of Health (CAOH). Order it online. Many folks add it to their wilds water supply to help boost their immune systems. It's all natural and suitable for human consumption. I see no reason that this wouldn't be beneficial.

Thinking about the issues you brought up as a concern. I think some of them can be due to the stress from pregnancy and lactating. Mom's resources are going to be depleted as she nurses or gestates babies. I think you might see the results of this in her having less muscle mass. Any additional solid nutrition, like Henry's Healthy Blocks and veggies, not nuts, will only benefit her. Coconut chunks and avocado are always accepted by wilds in my yard. I also give them boo balls made from ground block. Even if it's been 3+ months since she was lactating it probably takes awhile for her nutritional deficiencies to be corrected. Age may also factor into how quickly a squirrel bounces back. Hair loss is another sign of inadequate nutrition.

These reasons are why I think it could only help to add the Immune Barrier to a bowl of water and make it available to all your wilds. And get some Henry's blocks for her. I often give Henrys wild bites to the juvenile and pregnant or lactating female wilds in my yard. I think they need as much extra help as possible.

As for the black on her face. I have no idea, but Redwuff's suggestion about something she came in contact with might be the answer. One of my releases came back after being gone for 3 weeks and he has a similar discoloration on both sides of his face. We don't have black walnut trees, but we do have a mulberry tree. It might be old staining from mulberry juice.

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

redwuff (08-30-2017)

Smile Re: Sudden Illness

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Good question, Redwuff. I think anytime the body is stressed, as would be the case with a pregnant or lactating female, offering additional nutrition and supplements would be helpful. The immune barrier that Redwuff is referring to is called Liquid Immune Barrier and comes from California Academy of Health (CAOH). Order it online. Many folks add it to their wilds water supply to help boost their immune systems. It's all natural and suitable for human consumption. I see no reason that this wouldn't be beneficial.

Thinking about the issues you brought up as a concern. I think some of them can be due to the stress from pregnancy and lactating. Mom's resources are going to be depleted as she nurses or gestates babies. I think you might see the results of this in her having less muscle mass. Any additional solid nutrition, like Henry's Healthy Blocks and veggies, not nuts, will only benefit her. Coconut chunks and avocado are always accepted by wilds in my yard. I also give them boo balls made from ground block. Even if it's been 3+ months since she was lactating it probably takes awhile for her nutritional deficiencies to be corrected. Age may also factor into how quickly a squirrel bounces back. Hair loss is another sign of inadequate nutrition.

These reasons are why I think it could only help to add the Immune Barrier to a bowl of water and make it available to all your wilds. And get some Henry's blocks for her. I often give Henrys wild bites to the juvenile and pregnant or lactating female wilds in my yard. I think they need as much extra help as possible.

As for the black on her face. I have no idea, but Redwuff's suggestion about something she came in contact with might be the answer. One of my releases came back after being gone for 3 weeks and he has a similar discoloration on both sides of his face. We don't have black walnut trees, but we do have a mulberry tree. It might be old staining from mulberry juice.
    Thanks so much for all the excellent suggestions.

We have already ordered online the items you suggested.

Very much appreciate your taking the time to share your knowledge about this!

Dan

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Dan from:

redwuff (08-30-2017)