Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Green diarrhea again

Default Re: Green diarrhea again

Quote Originally Posted by Loudhouse2 View Post
    A huge thank you I only have the keopectate right now and wasn't sure how long it's safe to use with him
    I sent CritterMom a pm, but not sure she's on the board.
    She gets up around 3:00 ish so she may have gone off board for the night.
    I so wished I had Baycox or Panacur, I would some it in the mail for you,
    so you wouldn't have to wait.

Forgive me if you've already answered this, but have you tried the BRAT diet?

(Partial) Brat Formula Mix
    3 tablespoons (already) mixed formula 2-1
    1/2 tsp baby rice powered cereal
    1/2 tsp banana baby food.

Yes he's been on it all week. I removed the heavy cream from his formula too. Since this round of poops started I cut the rice to 1/4tsp and added 1 tsp of pumpkin. His poop wasn't as watery last potty time so maybe it will help.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Loudhouse2 from:

Nancy in New York (08-29-2017)

Sorry - just got Nancy's PM. The kaopectate will work too.

Panacur is available all over the place - chain pet stores, Tractor Supply, etc. You just want to avoid the "granule" form of Panacur - it is intended to be mixed into grain for small livestock and it is pretty impossible to dose.

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Loudhouse2 (08-29-2017), Nancy in New York (08-29-2017)

If she wishes to message me I will be up every 2hrs for the next couple days for feeding and hydration in between. I'm thinking of setting up an IV for my coffee intake lol

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Loudhouse2 from:

UDoWhat (08-29-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    Sorry - just got Nancy's PM. The kaopectate will work too.

Panacur is available all over the place - chain pet stores, Tractor Supply, etc. You just want to avoid the "granule" form of Panacur - it is intended to be mixed into grain for small livestock and it is pretty impossible to dose.

CritterMom also told me to dose the Pepto the same way you have the kaopectate.
    She also said for you to see how long it takes to pass from the dosing to seeing the black stools,
    (they will turn blackish from the pepto, not to worry)
    This will tell you that it's gone through his system and to dose again.
    Sometimes one dose will do and the next poops are starting to become formed,
    if not, dose a second time.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

Loudhouse2 (08-29-2017)

Ahh I was told to get the liquid on the dragon site. Should I cancel the panacur I order and just go get the paste from tractor supply?

Sorry I bit confused should I use the kaopectate I have now or go get pepto in the morning? And how long is it safe to use it?

Ahh I was told to get the liquid on the dragon site. Should I cancel the panacur I order and just go get the paste from tractor supply?
    No, the liquid is exactly what you want.
    I never even dosed the panacur paste and not
    sure how that would be dosed.
    I have dosed with the granules though and the oral suspension is perfect.

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

Loudhouse2 (08-29-2017)

Sorry I bit confused should I use the kaopectate I have now or go get pepto in the morning? And how long is it safe to use it?
    You can use the kaopectate tonight. I would give him about 0.3ml. It is NOT a cure for anything but it may firm up the stools. If he has a parasite load causing the problems the kao won't do much. I would dose him tonight and do what you can to get the fenbendazole (Panacur). I answered your other thread BTW, regarding the Panacur.

Make sure you hydrate this baby a lot. That is the trick to keeping them going during long bouts of diarrhea.

15. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Loudhouse2 (08-29-2017), Nancy in New York (08-29-2017)

Not sure how long you should be doing this, I have never needed to use either.
    I have used dia stat from Fox Valley, and it worked great.
    http://store.foxvalleynutrition.com/dia-stat

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

Loudhouse2 (08-29-2017)

I used the keopectate 2 days ago and did 3 doses I think over 24hrs I stopped using it when he firmed up and he stayed solid almost 24hrs after that before diarrhea again

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Loudhouse2 from:

Nancy in New York (08-29-2017)

We decided to try keopectate first to see if it was just an upset tummy and when his poop got runny again I knew it had to be parasite or bacteria. I'm going to try both baycox and pancur. The keopectate is just to help till they get here.

I thought I had posted to use the Kao for 2 days. However both Kao and Pepto may stop the diarrhea for a few days but it does not fix the underlying problem.

Usually coccidia or giardia smell awful . I am not sure this diarrhea is either of these. Baycox only treats coccidia. Before you start these "big" drugs you may want to try a drug that can be purchased over the counter in pet stores called "Dry tail" in the small mammal section. It is a medicine called Neomycin sulfate. It is used to treat diarrhea and control bacterial enteritis caused by Ecoli, salmonella, intestinal infections and nonspecific enteritis. We can dose it for you since we have a weight now.

Diarrhea is really tricky to deal with and to figure out how to treat properly. As for the hydration issue, you cannot properly rehydrate without an electrolyte solution. Sugar/honey water does not contain electrolytes. You must have salt in the hydration fluid. Salt is an electrolyte. You can safely use an electrolyte solution like Pedialyte for up to 3 days in-between feedings. I would give only 1-2 ml 2x per day for no more than 3 days. Too much salt is counterproductive. After 3 days I would re-evaluate the level of dehydration. Diarrhea causes ongoing fluid losses. I would also start probiotics, like lacto bacillus acidophilus. You can purchase probiotics in any drug store.

There are other drugs that we can use to treat diarrhea as well. Often the mucous stools are indications of an irritation of the intestinal lining (enteritis). The Pepto may help sooth the lining of the intestines and help some, as will "dry tail".

22. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to UDoWhat:

island rehabber (08-29-2017), Loudhouse2 (08-29-2017), Mel1959 (08-30-2017), Milo's Mom (08-29-2017), Nancy in New York (08-30-2017)

Smile Re: Green diarrhea again

Thank y'all for being such a big help and answering all my questions. These lil ones are alive because of all the info and help I've received since I got them.

24. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Loudhouse2:

Nancy in New York (08-30-2017), redwuff (08-30-2017)

Ok udowhat I will get the dry tail tomorrow and try it. I will start the pediate back up like u said along with plain water in addition. I will also look into the probiotics. If these don't work then I'll have the meds on hand by then. I'm just trying to help him and am trying to follow all the advice I've been given. I don't want him to die because I did the wrong thing or didn't give him something he needed.

26. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Loudhouse2:

astra (08-29-2017), Nancy in New York (08-29-2017), UDoWhat (08-29-2017)

If you can't find Wet-Tail, amazon has it. If you have Prime you
    get it in 2 days max.
    https://www.amazon.com/Drops-Liquid-.../dp/B00BS98NUG

Lincoln is almost 6 weeks old and for a week he has been struggling with diarrhea. It's green and mucusy. I have had him on the Brac diet and given several doses of keopectate. He is 156g and gaining. He firmed up for 1 day then back to diarrhea. His poop does not smell bad at all and his sister is doing perfectly fine. I suspect coccidia. Here is a link to my previous post where I received help.
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...grey-squirrels Attachment 292175Attachment 292176
    I am an armature for sure, but I thought I would share my two cents worth. I have never heard of the Brac diet, but maybe it's something he's eating that's hurting his belly. I would give him some grape pedialyte for two feedings and start him on a formula and gradually increase the water to formula ratio. I use Esbilac puppy replacer with probiotics. I got it from Tractor Supply. I think Fox Valley makes a 20/50 that's good. I would keep it simple.

There is a site called Squirrelnutrition.com, which gives a lot of good advice about when to introduce foods to your squirrel and what the need to grow into healthy adults.

I would think if bacteria is the cause, it would have a bad odor.

He is on a 50/50 mix of estiblac and fox valley 20/50. No solid yet. The brac diet is recommended for when they have diarrhea to help firm up the stools. It's gentle on their stomachs. It's a mix of 3 tbsp of their premade formula, 1 tsp gerber rice cereal, baby banana purree. I have seen on here people who have had several squirrels with coccidia and or worms and some babies stank like crazy and others just smelled like poop.

30. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Loudhouse2 from:

Nancy in New York (08-30-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Chippergray View Post
    I am an armature for sure, but I thought I would share my two cents worth. I have never heard of the Brac diet, but maybe it's something he's eating that's hurting his belly. I would give him some grape pedialyte for two feedings and start him on a formula and gradually increase the water to formula ratio. I use Esbilac puppy replacer with probiotics. I got it from Tractor Supply. I think Fox Valley makes a 20/50 that's good. I would keep it simple.

There is a site called Squirrelnutrition.com, which gives a lot of good advice about when to introduce foods to your squirrel and what the need to grow into healthy adults.

I would think if bacteria is the cause, it would have a bad odor.
    Um, please, no. There is a lot of really bad info on that site.

TSB is basically the sum of it's parts. I would imagine if you added up all of the years of experience that JUST our LICENSED rehabbers have it would be in the four figures. And that is leaving out all of the people who have tons of experience that are not specifically licensed. It allows us to rapidly spot trends like certain manufactured formulas that have changed their makeup and are suddenly causing problems REALLY FAST. When you have so many people providing input, bad info is uncovered really quickly and everyone gets to benefit from it.

I am not going to go into specific details but you would be much better to not take a lot of dietary info from the site you mention.

32. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Jen413 (08-30-2017), lennysmom (09-17-2017), Loudhouse2 (08-30-2017), Mel1959 (08-30-2017), Nancy in New York (08-30-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    Um, please, no. There is a lot of really bad info on that site.

TSB is basically the sum of it's parts. I would imagine if you added up all of the years of experience that JUST our LICENSED rehabbers have it would be in the four figures. And that is leaving out all of the people who have tons of experience that are not specifically licensed. It allows us to rapidly spot trends like certain manufactured formulas that have changed their makeup and are suddenly causing problems REALLY FAST. When you have so many people providing input, bad info is uncovered really quickly and everyone gets to benefit from it.

I am not going to go into specific details but you would be much better to not take a lot of dietary info from the site you mention.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast