Thread: Little One Not Pooping

Default Little One Not Pooping

I've had this little female (approx 3 wks old) for just a few days (See post in intake forum).

Her urine has gone from very yellow to very clear. She had a small amount of loose yellowish poop within the first twelve hours, and a very small amount of very firm poop this morning that was brownish yellow - and nothing in between. She is peeing fine, very normal, but the lack of poop has me mildly concerned. She has been difficult to feed, only just in the last two feedings is really taking the formula, she has adamantly, vehemently pushed everything out of her face until this morning, and she still isn't thrilled with it, but I think she just got so hungry, she lost her resolve. I'm concerned that she isn't pooping, but she also has had very little to eat in the last 36 hours.

Any thoughts?

Default Re: Little One Not Pooping

Quote Originally Posted by TerriCompro View Post
    I've had this little female (approx 3 wks old) for just a few days (See post in intake forum).
    Her urine has gone from very yellow to very clear. She had a small amount of loose yellowish poop within the first twelve hours, and a very small amount of very firm poop this morning that was brownish yellow - and nothing in between. She is peeing fine, very normal, but the lack of poop has me mildly concerned. She has been difficult to feed, only just in the last two feedings is really taking the formula, she has adamantly, vehemently pushed everything out of her face until this morning, and she still isn't thrilled with it, but I think she just got so hungry, she lost her resolve. I'm concerned that she isn't pooping, but she also has had very little to eat in the last 36 hours.
    Any thoughts?
    If she hasn't been eating well it's possible she just don't have anything to expel except for what you have seen.
    If she is not bloating or acting "fussy" like when constipated I would just allow her time to get things moving since she
    has only really just started to eat some.

I had a real fussy eater that did the same thing and pushed everything away except for warmed honey water. I decided since
    she would take honey water I'd try honey in her formula. That was the key to get her to eat. After 4-5 feeds of the honey formula
    I gradually started eliminating the honey and she didn't miss a beat with continuing to eat.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

TerriCompro (08-28-2017)

Default Re: Little One Not Pooping

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    If she hasn't been eating well it's possible she just don't have anything to expel except for what you have seen.
    If she is not bloating or acting "fussy" like when constipated I would just allow her time to get things moving since she
    has only really just started to eat some.

I had a real fussy eater that did the same thing and pushed everything away except for warmed honey water. I decided since
    she would take honey water I'd try honey in her formula. That was the key to get her to eat. After 4-5 feeds of the honey formula
    I gradually started eliminating the honey and she didn't miss a beat with continuing to eat.
    Fantastic tip, Thanks. Once I finally got her to eat, and I didn't know if she just got so hungry she wasn't picky, or if she finally decided it didn't taste that bad after all. I hydrated her with 1mL homemade fluid at noon, and FINALLY, FINALLY, she had a good poop! YAY.

Name:  40939_resized.jpeg
Views: 16
Size:  55.4 KB

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TerriCompro from:

Mel1959 (08-27-2017)