Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rodent block question.

Default Re: Rodent block question.

Quote Originally Posted by jlee413 View Post
    All of his incisors have returned so he does have all four now. I have to trim his bottom teeth every 7-10 days.

When he fell from his nest he crushed his right lower jaw bone and had other damage to the bones in the right side of his face. As a result his teeth do not line up and he cannot wear them down on his own so I have to trim them for him. Was the growth of the tooth so severe that they couldn't just trim the tooth to see if it would straighten up? Sammy's top teeth used to grow straight back toward his throat. After a few trimmings they corrected themselves. Just wondering why they decided to remove before trying a few trimmings.
    Couldn't trim the top ones at all. Only the bottom one that was so over grown. trimed about 1/8 inch. As for the top ones they are barly there and one is loose. Vet said she is probably going to pull it that's the reason I asked about the blocks. Something a little more solid than just the foumula,but is softer than the block.. Doesn't get any block at all till she has drank all of the formula.

Question Re: Rodent block question.

Quote Originally Posted by UDoWhat View Post
    Yes, I put the block in as soon as their eyes open. I use Mazuri. I don't feel they are too big that they could choke the baby. Actually, I feel the opposite ... they are big enough that babies are not able to swallow them to get them lodged in their throat or choke on them. I have never had a baby choke on them. I think the smaller the pieces the easier it would be to swallow and choke on. JMHO ! However, like Anne I use them for teething and for them to nibble on. They also try to play with them. It is really cute to watch. If you feel the pieces are too big they are easily broken into pieces. Problem solved. l

Any recommendation on getting them to eat it? I've had the blocks in there for almost two weeks now and she'll nibble some but that's it. She's about 8weeks now.

What block are you feeding? At 8 weeks you might have a difficult time getting her to take a hard block like Teklad or Mazuri. They can be ground and mixed with some ground nuts, Fox Valley or Esbilac powder, baby food and coconut oil to make boo balls. There’s recipes in the nutrition section. This makes them more palatable.

Or you can order the picky eater or hazelnut blocks from Henry’s Healthy Pets. They are tastier and usually well accepted. You only need to feed two per day along with healthy veggies and limited fruit and nuts for a complete diet.

Thank you I'll just keep trying and see what she does.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12