Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: Rodent block question.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    34
    Thanked: 8

    Default Rodent block question.

    Which is the best choice. Rabit, gueniea pig, rat, or gerbil/hamster blocks?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    East Coast, USA!
    Posts
    18,159
    Thanked: 8812

    Default Re: Rodent block question.

    Henry's blocks are probably the best. I also use various other blocks such as Kaytee Mouse/Rat/Hamster and others which are mouse/rat blocks.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rice Vinegar View Post
    Which is the best choice. Rabit, gueniea pig, rat, or gerbil/hamster blocks?
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

    See the sisters Pip and Nip!
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-(Pip-and-Nip)!

    Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

    "Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

  3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

    Nancy in New York (08-27-2017)

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    34
    Thanked: 8

    Default Re: Rodent block question.

    Yeah was wanting to know other than the Henry's. Only supposed to give them like 2 per day. Something they can munch on when every they get hungry. Someone on here said they got the Oxbow brand.



    Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post
    Henry's blocks are probably the best. I also use various other blocks such as Kaytee Mouse/Rat/Hamster and others which are mouse/rat blocks.

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    43,146
    Thanked: 19275

    Default Re: Rodent block question.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rice Vinegar View Post
    Yeah was wanting to know other than the Henry's. Only supposed to give them like 2 per day. Something they can munch on when every they get hungry. Someone on here said they got the Oxbow brand.

    From what many others have posted, this is also a great choice.
    Teklad 18%.

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Teklad-18-Pr....c100012.m1985

  6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

    Anne (08-27-2017), UDoWhat (08-27-2017)

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Mid -Atlantic
    Posts
    3,288
    Thanked: 1568

    Default Re: Rodent block question.

    There are several different kinds of block. Henry's is very good but it is only a supplement and an appropriate amount of other foods needs to be provided to make up enough calories for your squirrel's daily calorie intake . One block that usually can be gotten at a store like Petco or Petsmart is Kaytee rat and mouse block. It is the block that you are looking for not the seed mix. The seed mix is not at all appropriate for squirrels. Another kind of rat block is by Mazuri. Mazuri is a little harder to find in stores but some do carry it. I usually order my Mazuri block at Southern States Farm Store. Also, you can order online a block called Harlan Teklan. Many squirrel owners prefer Harlan Teklan but it can only be ordered online and is a little more expensive.

    As with any block, even Henry's, if you don't start feeding block first and only block for a few weeks your squirrel will not want to eat the block. If you offer any other foods first your baby will not eat block. Once you have established your squirrel eating block then and only then should you start offering treats. Rat block should be 80% of your squirrel's diet. The other 20% can be different kinds of healthy fruits, vegetables, and even nuts. I start my babies on Mazuri rat block as soon as they open their eyes while they are still on formula. They don't begin to eat it then but they will nom on it and show interest in it. Remember the key here is to offer only rat block for the first few weeks until your baby is firmly recognizing block as a food source.

    Good luck!!
    UDoWhat
    State Licensed Master Wildlife Rehabiltator
    Vice President, State Wildlife Rehabiltators Association


  8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to UDoWhat:

    PeteyPancake (08-13-2019), TubeDriver (08-27-2017)

  9. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    34
    Thanked: 8

    Default Re: Rodent block question.

    Thank you so very very much. Would pelets be ok?

  10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rice Vinegar from:

    UDoWhat (08-27-2017)

  11. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Mid -Atlantic
    Posts
    3,288
    Thanked: 1568

    Default Re: Rodent block question.

    What kind do pellets? Block usually helps keep the teeth trimmed down too. I would need to see the pellets or let me know the brand and kind so I can google for size and nutrition facts. You won't be sorry if you start your baby on rat/mouse block. If this is his main food source you will never have to worry about MBD.
    UDoWhat
    State Licensed Master Wildlife Rehabiltator
    Vice President, State Wildlife Rehabiltators Association


  12. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Illinois (IL)
    Posts
    65
    Thanked: 29

    Default Re: Rodent block question.

    UDoWhat, when you say you start them on block as soon as they open their eyes, does the squirrel have it's front teeth?? The reason I ask is because my little guy has nice long bottom teeth, but the top ones are still emerging, still very short. Is it safe to give him the block when only his 2 bottom teeth are the only ones completely In? I just would feel horrible if he choked or something.

  13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to mdcurrie from:

    UDoWhat (08-27-2017)

  14. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Orange Park, FL
    Posts
    4,654
    Thanked: 335

    Default Re: Rodent block question.

    Block is put in the cage as soon as babies eyes open. They will usually play with it the first several days, possibly nibble on the block. Think of block as a teething aid at first and then as a food source. I use Teklan 2018 I buy off the internet (Amazon). These blocks and others use for mice/rats are too large and solid to choke a baby.
    Anne
    Wildlife and Squirrel Rescue,Inc.
    Rescuing Fl squirrels since 1979
    Moderator: NFSA Emergency Care
    Wildlife Intake Coordinator and Rehab Consultant at "The Ark Wildlife Care and Sanctuary Inc"
    http://www.thearkwildlifecareandsanctuary.com/

    Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but learning to how to dance in the rain"

    "The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it taken place."
    George Bernard Shaw

    "Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear." - Mark Twain

  15. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Anne:

    Nancy in New York (08-27-2017), UDoWhat (08-27-2017)

  16. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Mid -Atlantic
    Posts
    3,288
    Thanked: 1568

    Default Re: Rodent block question.

    Quote Originally Posted by mdcurrie View Post
    UDoWhat, when you say you start them on block as soon as they open their eyes, does the squirrel have it's front teeth?? The reason I ask is because my little guy has nice long bottom teeth, but the top ones are still emerging, still very short. Is it safe to give him the block when only his 2 bottom teeth are the only ones completely In? I just would feel horrible if he choked or something.
    Yes, I put the block in as soon as their eyes open. I use Mazuri. I don't feel they are too big that they could choke the baby. Actually, I feel the opposite ... they are big enough that babies are not able to swallow them to get them lodged in their throat or choke on them. I have never had a baby choke on them. I think the smaller the pieces the easier it would be to swallow and choke on. JMHO ! However, like Anne I use them for teething and for them to nibble on. They also try to play with them. It is really cute to watch. If you feel the pieces are too big they are easily broken into pieces. Problem solved. l
    UDoWhat
    State Licensed Master Wildlife Rehabiltator
    Vice President, State Wildlife Rehabiltators Association


  17. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    34
    Thanked: 8

    Default Re: Rodent block question.

    Quote Originally Posted by UDoWhat View Post
    What kind do pellets? Block usually helps keep the teeth trimmed down too. I would need to see the pellets or let me know the brand and kind so I can google for size and nutrition facts. You won't be sorry if you start your baby on rat/mouse block. If this is his main food source you will never have to worry about MBD.
    I haven't gotten anything yet. The ones at Walmart here is 1/2 long and a 2/3 around. The brand is Wild Harvest Was asking before I get anything. I'm pretty sure I need to get something because their top and bottom front teeth are in.

  18. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    15,815
    Thanked: 9200

    Default Re: Rodent block question.

    Suggested commercial Rodent block.

    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator


  19. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    34
    Thanked: 8

    Default Re: Rodent block question.

    If you sent images I did not get them. There are 3 blocks at the bottom wiht question marks in them.

  20. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    8,706
    Thanked: 674

    Default Re: Rodent block question.

    I use HHB, but also supplement with Oxbow adult rat food...... another excellent rodent block.

  21. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    34
    Thanked: 8

    Default Re: Rodent block question.

    If a squirrel has to have an incisor pulled and will the HHB's be to hard for her to eat. If so what can I do to soften them so it's easier for her to eat?

  22. #16
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    N. America
    Posts
    8,098
    Thanked: 545

    Default Re: Rodent block question.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rice Vinegar View Post
    If a squirrel has to have an incisor pulled and will the HHB's be to hard for her to eat. If so what can I do to soften them so it's easier for her to eat?
    You can make balls out of them. There are different versions of these balls here (people use slight variations), but the basic idea is:

    1. Grind blocks finely
    2. Add just enough moisture to make the finely ground block damp/moist, but not slushy
    3. Add just enough natural nut butter to make the moist block mass stick together.
    4. Shape into balls and feed.

    Some variations:
    A) for moistening agent you can use plain water, or organic baby food, or organic apple sauce. Just nothing with added sugars and salts and anything else in between.
    B) for nutty flavour you can use finely ground nuts instead of butter. But sometimes natural nut butter is more flavourful than ground nuts. Use only natural nut butters, almond would be best, but occasionally even peanut will do.
    For ground nuts almonds and hazelnuts would be best choices. Occasionally you can use walnuts and pecans.
    You don't want too much butter or ground nuts so that they don't overpower ground block. Just enough butter or ground nuts for flavour and so that the mass sticks together. Nut butter works better for making it stick.

    Sometimes ppl add dry formula into the mix.

    Whichever way you choose to do it, make sure that the number of balls is equivalent to the number of blocks grounded. That is, if you ground 4 HHBs, which is a two day worth of block (2 per day), that means you will have two days worth of balls. You can make 4 balls, or more if you make them smaller, but it's only for two days. Keeping track of how many blocks you grind like that will ensure that your little one still gets his/her daily required block
    If you don't keep track of how many HHBs you've used and don't match the number of balls, you won't know whether or not s/he's getting his daily HHB requirement.
    So keep track and it will be fine.
    To keep the balls fresh it may be better not to make more than one or two weeks worth of balls, especially if you choose to use baby food. You can freeze them. But the smaller the batch, the fresher the balls your little one gets.

    If you decide to use commercial block instead of HhBs, it is harder to tell how many balls s/he should get because commercial block is meant to sort be fed throughout the day as the main source of food for rodents. So at least a handful a day for sure.
    with HHBs it's easier because there is a clear suggested serving per day of two (fixers can have three because they are bigger). Sometimes ppl think that reds can have one, but I prefer to give two even to reds because they crumble them anyway (even then balls), so IF there may be anything a tiny bit extra, the crumbling takes care of it anyway. So, imho - 2 HHBs for reds.

  23. Serious fuzzy thank you's to astra from:

    gunpackingrandma (09-07-2017)

  24. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    34
    Thanked: 8

    Default Re: Rodent block question.

    Quote Originally Posted by astra View Post
    You can make balls out of them. There are different versions of these balls here (people use slight variations), but the basic idea is:

    1. Grind blocks finely
    2. Add just enough moisture to make the finely ground block damp/moist, but not slushy
    3. Add just enough natural nut butter to make the moist block mass stick together.
    4. Shape into balls and feed.

    Some variations:
    A) for moistening agent you can use plain water, or organic baby food, or organic apple sauce. Just nothing with added sugars and salts and anything else in between.
    B) for nutty flavour you can use finely ground nuts instead of butter. But sometimes natural nut butter is more flavourful than ground nuts. Use only natural nut butters, almond would be best, but occasionally even peanut will do.
    For ground nuts almonds and hazelnuts would be best choices. Occasionally you can use walnuts and pecans.
    You don't want too much butter or ground nuts so that they don't overpower ground block. Just enough butter or ground nuts for flavour and so that the mass sticks together. Nut butter works better for making it stick.

    Sometimes ppl add dry formula into the mix.

    Whichever way you choose to do it, make sure that the number of balls is equivalent to the number of blocks grounded. That is, if you ground 4 HHBs, which is a two day worth of block (2 per day), that means you will have two days worth of balls. You can make 4 balls, or more if you make them smaller, but it's only for two days. Keeping track of how many blocks you grind like that will ensure that your little one still gets his/her daily required block
    If you don't keep track of how many HHBs you've used and don't match the number of balls, you won't know whether or not s/he's getting his daily HHB requirement.
    So keep track and it will be fine.
    To keep the balls fresh it may be better not to make more than one or two weeks worth of balls, especially if you choose to use baby food. You can freeze them. But the smaller the batch, the fresher the balls your little one gets.

    If you decide to use commercial block instead of HhBs, it is harder to tell how many balls s/he should get because commercial block is meant to sort be fed throughout the day as the main source of food for rodents. So at least a handful a day for sure.
    with HHBs it's easier because there is a clear suggested serving per day of two (fixers can have three because they are bigger). Sometimes ppl think that reds can have one, but I prefer to give two even to reds because they crumble them anyway (even then balls), so IF there may be anything a tiny bit extra, the crumbling takes care of it anyway. So, imho - 2 HHBs for reds.
    Thank you so much. I will try the different ways and see what she likes the most.

  25. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Southeast US
    Posts
    1,997
    Thanked: 3560

    Default Re: Rodent block question.

    I'd definitely do the balls!! I had to do them for Sammy after he had molars removed.

    Once she recovers she could eat the HHBs again without having to do the balls. My guy has had all kinds of teeth issues and lost both the upper right and the lower right incisor and was able to eat them just fine. I'm so glad you were able to get her in to a safe vet that is willing to help you.

    “You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.” ― John Bunyan



    Sammy's TSB Thread Marvin and Charlie's TSB Thread Sadie's TSB Thread

  26. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    34
    Thanked: 8

    Default Re: Rodent block question.

    Quote Originally Posted by jlee413 View Post
    I'd definitely do the balls!! I had to do them for Sammy after he had molars removed.

    Once she recovers she could eat the HHBs again without having to do the balls. My guy has had all kinds of teeth issues and lost both the upper right and the lower right incisor and was able to eat them just fine. I'm so glad you were able to get her in to a safe vet that is willing to help you.
    Did you have to grind his teeth down periodically?

  27. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rice Vinegar from:

    Jen413 (09-08-2017)

  28. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Southeast US
    Posts
    1,997
    Thanked: 3560

    Default Re: Rodent block question.

    All of his incisors have returned so he does have all four now. I have to trim his bottom teeth every 7-10 days.

    When he fell from his nest he crushed his right lower jaw bone and had other damage to the bones in the right side of his face. As a result his teeth do not line up and he cannot wear them down on his own so I have to trim them for him. Was the growth of the tooth so severe that they couldn't just trim the tooth to see if it would straighten up? Sammy's top teeth used to grow straight back toward his throat. After a few trimmings they corrected themselves. Just wondering why they decided to remove before trying a few trimmings.

    “You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.” ― John Bunyan



    Sammy's TSB Thread Marvin and Charlie's TSB Thread Sadie's TSB Thread

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •