Thread: Alternative to Henry's blocks?

Default Alternative to Henry's blocks?

I live in Canada and the shipping for Henry's blocks is $25. Are there any suitable substitutes I would be able to find in pet stores here? Or order at a more reasonable price? If I start my little red on Henry's blocks will she even eat other blocks?

Default Re: Alternative to Henry's blocks?

Not sure about the healthy part. In moderation, there are many great recipes on here (link below), especially the "boo balls" recipes. Actually, those may be healthy, but I'm not sure. Other members can explain the name. Hopefully someone can reply with a store bought healthy option.

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...hlight=recipes

Additionally, there are different kinds of rodent blocks that work for squirrels but probably not as good as Henrys. I think this is the one I use to buy (link below), but now they make it with green pieces in it which I don't feed to squirrels. I use to take the green stuff out and give the rest to squirrels. Since it's been a while, let's let another member confirm that this is the right stuff before taking my word for it, https://www.petsolutions.com/C/Hamst...ro-Health.aspx

I hope this begins to answer your question.

Send a note on the Henry's site to the owner and ask her if there are other options on Canadian shipping. I know this is an issue that she works on a lot and she may have an answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy Love View Post
    I live in Canada and the shipping for Henry's blocks is $25. Are there any suitable substitutes I would be able to find in pet stores here? Or order at a more reasonable price? If I start my little red on Henry's blocks will she even eat other blocks?
    If you buy Henry's protein and vitamins and make blocks yourself, the shipping cost isn't that much because if you buy those in bulk, for one squirrel it will last about 5 months, which means you'll only have to purchase from Henry's twice a year or so. And given the high quality of Henry's it's more than worth it.

Also wouldn't recommend using protein powders from health food stores the kind that, say, bodybuilder and gym ppl use because those often have either steroids added or some other enhancing stuff that doesn't even have to be listed.

So, imho, buying from Henry's in bulk and making blocks myself you get the best quality product on the market for a very reasonable price.

Consider purchasing Harlan Teklad 2018 block online from the cheapest source. Many places ship for free, however I'm not sure about it being free to Canada.

When I began feeding Harlan block to my dwarf squirrel, Joey, it made a huge difference in his hair, muscle tone and energy in just a few months time. He was previously being fed Henry's. His block is mixed with baby food and fed by syringe. I have pictures of his transformation on his thread in The Nursery.

If you begin feeding Henry's blocks it is harder to get them to take any other type of rodent block. FYI

Katie Guest

I fed Henry's for awhile then made some from a recipe "Homemade Blocks for Squirrels" at SquirrelRefuge[dot]org. They were easy to make.

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Katie from:

Gmcarro (11-08-2019)

How did you choose the 18% Teklad vs. one of the other levels?

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Consider purchasing Harlan Teklad 2018 block online from the cheapest source. Many places ship for free, however I'm not sure about it being free to Canada.

When I began feeding Harlan block to my dwarf squirrel, Joey, it made a huge difference in his hair, muscle tone and energy in just a few months time. He was previously being fed Henry's. His block is mixed with baby food and fed by syringe. I have pictures of his transformation on his thread in The Nursery.

If you begin feeding Henry's blocks it is harder to get them to take any other type of rodent block. FYI
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post
    How did you choose the 18% Teklad vs. one of the other levels?
    Someone gave me a bag of the 2018 block. It is the growth formula so it has a little higher protein content and suitable for a first block for babies. I used it for Joey and saw such a remarkable difference in his fur and his energy level that I didn't try any of the others. The folks that I have talked to that use Harlan block all use the 2018.

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

TubeDriver (08-26-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by astra View Post
    If you buy Henry's protein and vitamins and make blocks yourself, the shipping cost isn't that much because if you buy those in bulk, for one squirrel it will last about 5 months, which means you'll only have to purchase from Henry's twice a year or so. And given the high quality of Henry's it's more than worth it.

Also wouldn't recommend using protein powders from health food stores the kind that, say, bodybuilder and gym ppl use because those often have either steroids added or some other enhancing stuff that doesn't even have to be listed.

So, imho, buying from Henry's in bulk and making blocks myself you get the best quality product on the market for a very reasonable price.
    Hello,

I am from India and have similar concerns over shipping and would like to make my own blocks.
    Could you please point me towards the recipe for making these blocks using the protein powder and vitamins from Henry's?

Thank You.