Thread: Release cage-where to put it??

Default Release cage-where to put it??

Hi there,
    I have two Eastern Grays who are ready to be moved outside after two traumatic escape/release fails due to Robin attacks. I'm making them a big release cage (4.5' long, 3.5' wide and almost 5' tall). My question is where is the best place to put the cage? I have a rather large shed near my house... or there is a nice spot between two twisted willows in the back yard (its a long yard). I'd like to keep them in the outdoor cage for a week or so before I let them loose. I know fall is coming... and winter might be rough for my little guys. So, what to do... closer to the house (inside the shed) or away from the house...? I plan to put their nest box up in the tree when I do release them. Would love some advice

Default Re: Release cage-where to put it??

I place my release cages away from the house under a tree so the squirrels have shade during the day and a nice tree to call home when the cage doors are opened.

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Rhapsody:

cava (10-24-2017), rangergirl (08-22-2017)

We have actually built our release cages around a couple of trees. We put the portal at the top right beside the tree so they have easy, safe access up the tree when it's opened. We also put two nest boxes inside the release cage, so they can get used to them. Then when we are ready to open the portal we move one of the nest boxes up into the tree above the release cage and leave the other one inside the release cage. That way they have a safe place to sleep if they choose to stay in the release cage at night for awhile or if they want to stay in their tree.

The last two photos the tree was a smooth trunk tree so we wrapped it with tree burlap so they could climb it easier.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

5. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

cava (10-24-2017), gunpackingrandma (08-26-2017), rangergirl (08-26-2017), Rocky1 (08-26-2017)

Wow!! That is an amazing Release Cage! I love the idea of building it around the tree. Thanks so much for sharing! Very lucky little squirrels!

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to rangergirl from:

Mel1959 (08-26-2017)

Squirrel-inAround Guest

Lightbulb Re: Release cage-where to put it??

That is an awesome cage! May I ask, did you have plans that you found or did you make it up as you went! We have to have our outdoor release cages built by spring to be licensed here in LA and we are looking at everything and picking people's brains so we can get plans ready! We have a connection to the Boy Scouts who is ready and willing to put our plans out there for any Life Scout needing his Eagel Project to help us! They will help plan, fundraise the money needed and then do the work! As a just starting out Sanctuary this was the suggestion of our Wildlife and Fisheries Licence Manager! Any thoughts, plans or ideas are hugely welcome! We want to provide the best we can and will only be focusing on Squirrels! We sub a a local Sanctuary that does all the Mammals but they really don't take squirrels, well didn't until I showed an interest and we have taken 11 in the last 5 months!

9. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Squirrel-inAround:

cava (10-24-2017), LR (10-24-2017), Nancy in New York (12-14-2017)