Thread: Cleft Palate

Default Cleft Palate

Hey guys. So very recently, I've taken in a 2 week old gray squirrel who was being sold in a meat market for food. I noticed during some feedings, milk would often come out of his nose. Now I thought this was simply due to the milk coming out to quickly, even with a very tiny syringe and nipple. Attempted to only allow a small bit out, but the same problem occured. Came to realise that he has an opening in his mouth near the top that simply allows the milk directly into his nose. Any tips on how to feed him with this deformity? He's gaining weight, peeing and pooping normally and all is well besides this. He's always hungry and ready to eat, but I fear that he'll get upper respiratory from the constant issue with his mouth.

Default Re: Cleft Palate

Dear God, a baby squirrel at a meat market. Sigh.

This sounds like something that will be an issue it's whole life - having liquids passing is dangerous enough - nonstop aspiration pneumonia, but even solids will lodge there and decay and cause infection. I don't know where in FL you are but the best vet around for squirrel teeth/mouth issues is in Port Orange - Sr. Alicia Emerson at Ravenswood Animal Clinic. I would get this looked at.

3. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

DarkLies212 (08-20-2017), ILovePeanut (08-20-2017), TubeDriver (08-23-2017)

Could you post a pic of that?

Uhmmm.... Where in FL would this be? That's not legal right! If you were in Thailand or China I would understand but FLORIDA!
    An Asian restaurant was recently closed for having a cat carcass in the freezer. They said it was for personal consumption. Yeah... Right!

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

DarkLies212 (08-20-2017)

Thank you for saving this baby. Please turn this meat market in to the authorities. This is definitely against the law. However, they could sell baby squirrel meat. How sad and disgusting.

Thank you again for saving this baby

7. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to UDoWhat:

DarkLies212 (08-20-2017), HRT4SQRLS (08-20-2017), ILovePeanut (08-20-2017), TubeDriver (08-23-2017)

Please contact Dr Alicia Emerson at Ravenwood vet clinic (386)788-1550. Another member had a similar situation where her baby had a hole in his palate. Dr. Emerson stitched it closed.

Please keep us posted.

9. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

DarkLies212 (08-20-2017), ILovePeanut (08-20-2017), island rehabber (08-20-2017), redwuff (08-20-2017)

A little update for you guys:
    He'll be seeing one of our wildlife vets soon, and he's still doing good despite the defect. Thank you all for the quick replies.

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to ILovePeanut from:

Jen413 (08-23-2017)

I second what Mel said about Dr. Emerson!! Not sure how big your baby's hole is but my baby had a hole in the roof of his mouth near his molars. She was able to clean it all out and successfully stitch it closed. I drove 8+ hours as have several others who have babies with teeth/mouth issues. I assure you Sammy seeing her was worth every minute driven.

“You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.” ― John Bunyan

Sammy's TSB Thread Marvin and Charlie's TSB Thread Sadie's TSB Thread

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Jen413 from:

ILovePeanut (08-23-2017)