Thread: is backyard release possible?

Default is backyard release possible?

Is it wishful thinking that when Henry is ready for release, I could release him out back where there are many trees and he might live with us, and occasionally come down for a tame feeding, cuz you know, we go way back??

Default Re: is backyard release possible?

It is absolutely possible. I have released quite a few in my yard. I have 2 that are particularly friendly. They will still come to me and get on my shoulder and eat treats.
    Susie has been outside for 4 years. Dixie has been outside for almost a year. I won't see Susie for months and she will just show up and it's like old times.
    Dixie will be gone for weeks and return like she left yesterday. She will even walk into my house like she owns the place, go to the kitchen, get on the counter and raid the nut bag.

I adore these two. It is more common for the females to stay near. The males will leave for a new territory or be chased away by the established hierarchy. I have a few male releases that are still near but they won't approach me and they haven't been outside long.

If your yard is suitable... not near busy roads, not loaded with feral or neighbors cats, etc. I would definitely release them in your yard.

Edit... I forgot something. A couple months ago, Dixie came inside to eat treats. When she was done, she went in the squirrel room, climbed in the cat tree condo, burrowed under the fleece and went to bed. I released her the next day. This isn't typical behavior but I sure loved it.

Susie has a notch in her ear and Dixie has a 2 inch tail so they are easily identified.

3. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Lighten-Up (08-27-2017), Mel1959 (08-22-2017), redwuff (08-21-2017)

Katie Guest

Default Re: is backyard release possible?

Our squirrel we raised lives in the backyard and visits with me almost every day. If I don't go outside and find him, he comes to the back door.

We got a wooden squirrel condo with baffle and placed it in the release cage, then released by nailing up the release cage in tree and placing squirrel on top. Worked great.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Katie from:

HRT4SQRLS (08-26-2017)