Thread: BABY AMERICAN RED SQUIRREL SNEEZING NO- CLICKING NOISES 3 WEEKS OLD

oneillais12 Guest

Default BABY AMERICAN RED SQUIRREL SNEEZING NO- CLICKING NOISES 3 WEEKS OLD

Hi all i have been hearing my little baby squirrel have a bit of a sneeze after feeding we are feeding her with a syringe with a nipple and still sometimes she seems to get over zealous with feeding and does almost a spit up type of reaction. When she does this the formula comes out of her mouth and not her nose. I have been watching and listening to make sure there is no clicking noises, even when i hold her to my ear i hear no clicking noises. But still i hear her sneeze maybe 4-5times after feeding and an ocassional one in between. I have amoxicillin 500mg in pill form if need be. She shows no other signs of being ill still moving around, breathing well, and feeding. The baby weighs 1 7/8 oz. Would this be safe to give her and what dosage if so? I want to be proactive if she is sick.

Default Re: BABY AMERICAN RED SQUIRREL SNEEZING NO- CLICKING NOISES 3 WEEKS OLD

I would not rush to ab's, I would be diligent with listening for signs of AP.
    These babies can "suck" too fast and take in more then they can swallow,
    holding back and causing friction on the syringe plunger can help this.
    What size syringe are you feeding with?
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

gunpackingrandma (08-19-2017)

oneillais12 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    I would not rush to ab's, I would be diligent with listening for signs of AP.
    These babies can "suck" too fast and take in more then they can swallow,
    holding back and causing friction on the syringe plunger can help this.
    What size syringe are you feeding with?

Ok thank you. She seems to be doing a lot better now the syringe with a nipple was 1cc but her sucking was so powerful it seemed she was getting more than she could take. I got a new nipple for it and it seems to be a touch smaller than the nipple was getting too much out of and
    she did not have the same reaction as before. So no more sneezing this time! Thank you again.

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to oneillais12:

Nancy in New York (08-19-2017), stepnstone (08-19-2017)

Hi,

Where in PA are you? No need to give a specific town, but county would be helpful.

Is this your first squirrel? Do you need help?

let us know the details and please provide some pictures, we all LOVE photos and I'm very partial to Red Squirrels
    Kim Cassidy
    Licensed NY Wildlife Rehabilitator

7. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to kcassidy:

gunpackingrandma (08-19-2017), stepnstone (08-19-2017)

Would LOVE to see some pictures! I'm in Montana and all we see is reds. Absolutely love their spit fire personality!

oneillais12 Guest

Name:  squirrelgirl2.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  65.1 KB

Name:  squirrelgirl3.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  61.7 KB

HI again,

I'm in allegheny county a little farther north then the city of pittsburgh. My brother and father both are wildlife rehabbers. My brother spent time interning and working with the humane animal rescue wildlife center in Verona, PA while working towards his degree in biology where he did a lot of work with baby squirrels. At the time he was not home for a fews days so i was taking care and panicked.... I grew up watching both taking care of very many small critters rabbits, squirrels, and racoons. We have also sucessfully rehabbed many birds. They all have brought lots of joy and love into our lives watching them grow. Here i posted a few pictures of the little baby. Thanks again!

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to oneillais12 from:

Nancy in New York (08-20-2017)

Oh how sweet!!! It's been a long time since mine was that small! Thank you do much for sharing!!! I attached a picture of my red. He wouldn't stop playing to get a good picture. He's either playing or sleeping, no middle ground... You would think he's drinking Red Bull instead of formula!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to gunpackingrandma:

Nancy in New York (08-20-2017)

He's drinking out of the dogs water bowl, won't touch the food....Way to spoiled for that....

Hi,

I'm having exact same issue, but my red squirrel is just turning 6 weeks. No clicking. She's eating (Fox Valley), moving, and going to the bathroom as usual but sneezing here and there since Saturday. Her eyes just opened Thursday/Friday.

I gave her some rodent block but haven't noticed her nibbling yet. In her carrier I also have a hot water bottle refilled regularly for warmth and tshirts and a fleece blanket.

I've had her for 3 weeks with no problem previously.

Would I also be okay just continuing to keep an eye on this or should I reach out to someone for help/antibiotics?

Thank you!

Hold her right up to your ear to listen for clicking. If she has AP, it will be regular clicking.

It is always a good idea to have some ABs in hand just in case. Capri/Baytril, Doxy and Clavamox are good ones to have.

Quote Originally Posted by Elana View Post
    Hi,

I'm having exact same issue, but my red squirrel is just turning 6 weeks. No clicking. She's eating (Fox Valley), moving, and going to the bathroom as usual but sneezing here and there since Saturday. Her eyes just opened Thursday/Friday.

I gave her some rodent block but haven't noticed her nibbling yet. In her carrier I also have a hot water bottle refilled regularly for warmth and tshirts and a fleece blanket.

I've had her for 3 weeks with no problem previously.

Would I also be okay just continuing to keep an eye on this or should I reach out to someone for help/antibiotics?

Thank you!
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

Thanks for getting back! There is no clicking, I've been checking! Should I only give antibiotics if there's clicking only or is sneezing enough that I should take action?

Dumb question re: antibiotics. Where do I get these? Can I get these from a regular pharmacy without a prescription or do I need to see a vet?

Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post
    Hold her right up to your ear to listen for clicking. If she has AP, it will be regular clicking.

It is always a good idea to have some ABs in hand just in case. Capri/Baytril, Doxy and Clavamox are good ones to have.

oneillais12 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gunpackingrandma View Post
    Oh how sweet!!! It's been a long time since mine was that small! Thank you do much for sharing!!! I attached a picture of my red. He wouldn't stop playing to get a good picture. He's either playing or sleeping, no middle ground... You would think he's drinking Red Bull instead of formula!

Aw how cute! I can't even imagine trying to get a picture when they are that size she already moves so much! I can already see their spit fire personality in such a little one. Today she opened eyes... Let the adventures begin!

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to oneillais12 from:

gunpackingrandma (08-23-2017)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.