Thread: Watery Diarrhea for 2-3 weeks, other questions!

Default Watery Diarrhea for 2-3 weeks, other questions!

My baby Eastern grey Kai is about to hit 8 weeks old and has had diarrhea for the past 2-3 weeks. It is now very watery... I'm feeding him 1 part esbilac powder (the good one with the blue label) and 2 parts water. On Aug 6th he weighed 164 grams and was getting 8cc every 4 hours, now at 218 grams he is getting 10 cc every 5-6 hours. He's growing fast! He is very active. I have tried adding more water into his formula, but no luck. Any help is appreciated! He seems very healthy, I'm just getting worried that the diarrhea problem isn't going away at all. I'm afraid to take him to a vet in Missouri as I don't know if they would support me having a wild animal.

Another question: I got him rodent blocks 1 week ago and he is nibbling but not eating them yet. I gave him a tiny piece of apple yesterday and he ate the whole thing, so I know he is ready for solids. He has Kaytee blocks, is it possible that he just doesn't like them?

One more question: Are squirrels clean freaks? Every time he pees or poos in his potty box, he turns over or takes out the toilet paper! hehe! What kind of litter can I put in there instead?

Thanks Everyone!

Default Re: Watery Diarrhea for 2-3 weeks, other questions!

I just typed this all out and the board spazzed. Excuse the terse response - I have to make this shorter this time! GRRRR!

Give about .24cc of Pepto Bismol. Then watch the poops - when it goes through the system the poops will turn tar black. Note how long that takes. If, once you see the black poops they continue to be runny, give another dose and wait that amount of time again, checking the consistency. Once you see formed poops, stop the pepto.

During this period, dilute the formula a bit more - 2.5 to 1, and give additional hydration between feedings as well.

There could be an underlying cause such as a parasite of some kind but without testing, the best way to determine that is to stop the diarrhea with the pepto and then see if it returns when you quit giving it. Many times the inflammation from the diarrhea tears their bowels up and causes more diarrhea, and if you can stop it, it gives them a chance to calm down and heal and it will stop.

3. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Lilcourtski (08-18-2017), Mel1959 (08-18-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    I just typed this all out and the board spazzed. Excuse the terse response - I have to make this shorter this time! GRRRR!

Give about .24cc of Pepto Bismol. Then watch the poops - when it goes through the system the poops will turn tar black. Note how long that takes. If, once you see the black poops they continue to be runny, give another dose and wait that amount of time again, checking the consistency. Once you see formed poops, stop the pepto.

During this period, dilute the formula a bit more - 2.5 to 1, and give additional hydration between feedings as well.

There could be an underlying cause such as a parasite of some kind but without testing, the best way to determine that is to stop the diarrhea with the pepto and then see if it returns when you quit giving it. Many times the inflammation from the diarrhea tears their bowels up and causes more diarrhea, and if you can stop it, it gives them a chance to calm down and heal and it will stop.
    Thank you for the quick response, I will try this now! What do you mean by additional hydration between feedings, water or pedialyte?

Thank you so much!

Also, I just ordered Fox Valley formula, when it gets here I'm hoping it will help. I'm just now realizing that esbilac isn't the best for him.

Oh Lord. Which Fox Valley? Do NOT feed the 32/40.

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    Oh Lord. Which Fox Valley? Do NOT feed the 32/40.
    I got the 20/50!

I would not switch all the way to the 20/50. The most I would do is end up at 50/50 Esbilac/Fox Valley.

Make the transition REALLY SLOWLY, especially given the issues with the diarrhea. I would spend a couple days getting to the 50/50 mix.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

Lilcourtski (08-19-2017)

Your boy sounds a bit on the small side for an 8 weeker. How long have you had him and how do you figure out how much to feed him?

Diahrea sucks. Hopefully we can help you get it turned around. Sometimes getting more fiber in helps also. Stay the course with the rodent block and do not give him ANYTHING else to eat before he is eating that well. Of course continue with his formula feedings every day. Are you feeding 3 times a day?

Would you be able to post a picture of your sweetie so we can see him? Thank you for taking this on!
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

11. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to redwuff:

Lilcourtski (08-19-2017), UDoWhat (08-23-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    Your boy sounds a bit on the small side for an 8 weeker. How long have you had him and how do you figure out how much to feed him?

Diahrea sucks. Hopefully we can help you get it turned around. Sometimes getting more fiber in helps also. Stay the course with the rodent block and do not give him ANYTHING else to eat before he is eating that well. Of course continue with his formula feedings every day. Are you feeding 3 times a day?

Would you be able to post a picture of your sweetie so we can see him? Thank you for taking this on!

Thank you for your help! I assumed he is about 8 weeks because he opened his eyes July 30, so I assumed that meant he was atleast 5 weeks when that happened. I found a list on orphanedwildlifecare.com that says 200 gram babies get 10-14cc per feeding, please let me know if I'm wrong and should be feeding less. Also yes he is eating 3x a day. Should he be eating more? Also I might have found a quick fix to the diarrhea. Before I was mixing up his milk in the morning and giving to him right after, but I found info saying that I should let it sit for 4-8 hrs before. I will keep letting it sit overnight first and see if it helps, and slowly transition to 50/50!

Here are some pictures of my Kai!

Name:  IMG_7122.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  57.4 KB Name:  IMG_7121.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  48.0 KB Name:  IMG_7119.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  47.4 KB

13. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Lilcourtski:

Nancy in New York (08-20-2017), UDoWhat (08-23-2017)

I've had him since he was about 3-4 weeks with eyes still closed. He fell from a tree and our neighbors left him outside for 24 hours waiting for mom to come back and she never did, so they called us and here we are

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Lilcourtski from:

Nancy in New York (08-20-2017)

I've given him pepto the past 2 days and both times it has turned his poop black but still very watery diarrhea. I'm not sure what to do at this point if someone could please help me.

Does the poop have a bad smell?
    Because this is an ongoing problem, I think I would treat with Metronidazole.
    Metronidazole is also called Flagyl. We could try this first. If that doesn't work we could go to SMZ-TMP (Septra). Do you access to either of these antibiotics?