Thread: squirrel pox

Default squirrel pox

Hello, I feed many birds and squirrels in my backyard. I have one squirrel that is pretty severely infected with what I am almost positive is pox....lots of lesions on the belly, genitalia and by the eye. Squirrel is only feeding a couple of times a day and is not acting healthy (obviously). It is painful to look at its sores, it must be very painful and I hate to see it suffer. I have attempted to trap it in a live trap but that really doesn't seem possible -we have a good wildlife rehab here in the state but they say they have no drug tx just supportive tx. I would take it there in hopes it could recover but just can't see how I will ever catch it. I am seeing other squirrels with signs of pox as well and we have two red squirrels in the area and I know how deadly it is to them. I am retired and very attentive to my backyard wildlife - is there any tx that I can offer to these squirrels in the wild? It seems my only chance to help them and to prevent it from spreading to so many others. Thank you!

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to rottwlr2 from:

LR (11-24-2017)

Default Re: squirrel pox

How are you trying to trap them?

If you put a have a heart trap filled with Black Oil Sunflower Seeds, Walnuts you should be able to catch them. Thank you for caring and if you can get them caught you will probably help many many other squirrels.
    Kim Cassidy
    Licensed NY Wildlife Rehabilitator

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to kcassidy from:

LR (11-24-2017)

Thank you for responding! I do have a havahart trap. The sickest squirrel is especially leery and skittish and I just don't think I see her enough to catch her....I have tried - and inadvertently caught another squirrel - but I really think the odds are against me getting her specifically. It is next to impossible to get her when there aren't quite a few other squirrels around as she comes to my yard only a couple times a day and if I start putting down seed to lead her towards the trap many squirrels become interested....It is killing me whenever I see her. I could possibly catch some of the other squirrels that I believe are in the very beginning stages as they are much braver and more familiar with me. Is there nothing I can do for her if I can't catch her?

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to rottwlr2 from:

LR (11-24-2017)

You can treat them with acyclovir mixed into peanut butter balls in the wild, but you will need a LOT of acyclovir and you will need to be able to give meds to specific squirrels - the sick ones - at least once a day for several months. You can't just put a bowl of them out and let everyone eat them. I have done this successfully but it is an enormous commitment.

The very ill ones that have lots of lesions likely won't make it, unfortunately. The ones that have fewer lesions can be cured. Can you get your hands on acyclovir? Or valacyclovir?

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Nancy in New York (08-19-2017), UDoWhat (08-18-2017)

Yes, I have seen that medication mentioned. I am not sure if I can get the medication. Is it a medication for people generally or for animals? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated regarding where/how to source it. I am not worried about the commitment or the cost. Thank you so much for taking the time to respond.

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to rottwlr2 from:

LR (11-24-2017)

OK, did my research. I don't think I know anybody who has a prescription to either of those medications. A google search turns up a place - "AccessRx.com" - on line that looks like it sells 30 400mg tablets for about $70 plus shipping. I don't think it requires any prescription. I went all the way to the billing w/o entering my cc info and it looks like it would go through. Have you heard of this site? Do you feel like this is a proper way to get the medication? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by rottwlr2 View Post
    OK, did my research. I don't think I know anybody who has a prescription to either of those medications. A google search turns up a place - "AccessRx.com" - on line that looks like it sells 30 400mg tablets for about $70 plus shipping. I don't think it requires any prescription. I went all the way to the billing w/o entering my cc info and it looks like it would go through. Have you heard of this site? Do you feel like this is a proper way to get the medication? Thanks.
    Ugh! I just went to their site and then to Frequently asked questions and found this:

Do you require a prescription to order?

Yes, we do require a prescription to order our medications. We offer two options for our valued customers:

1. If you do not have a prescription, we would be pleased to refer you to physicians that are capable of reviewing your medical questions and history and determining if you qualify for a prescription based on your health profile. There is no extra charge for this service.

2. If you already have a valid prescription for this product, complete the online medical questions, then please fax 480-505-5727 or scan and e-mail your prescription to us.
    Last edited by Nancy in New York; 08-19-2017 at 08:12 AM.

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

LR (11-24-2017)

There are a number of sites that sell - this one too: https://buy-aciclovir.kiwidrug.com/

I have NO idea which are reputable and which aren't. Google "acyclovir without prescription" and get a list of the sites, then google search to see if you can find reviews of the sites that are not actually associated with the sites to see what other people say about them. I can't really think of any other way to do this...

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

LR (11-24-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by rottwlr2 View Post
    I just searched for reviews on that company and found that they have a pretty solid good reputation.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

LR (11-24-2017)

Well, I just ordered 60 Zovirax 200mg Pills (Generic) from expressrxsales.com. They don't arrive quickly - 7 to 17 days. I know this is risky - I'll report back how this turns out. Hopefully I don't get ripped off and/or spammed like crazy. It feels sketchy but I don't know what else to do at this point. If this goes through and I get the medication can someone help guide me with dosing and best way to administer? Thanks.

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to rottwlr2 from:

LR (11-24-2017)

I will send you the info by PM later, okay?

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

TubeDriver (11-24-2017)

Yes, thank you so much.

I will keep trying to catch the sickest of the squirrels. Its drey seems to be from what I can gather a few houses behind mine across the alley and I don't know who lives there so, of course, I can't creep around their yard. I will continue to watch for it and do my best. One other question you may be able to answer in the email is in regards to the beginning signs of the pox and what I should be looking for. I have seen a few other squirrels with one open sore and a few with just sort of like what looks like a mosquito bite on their face near their eye. I assume this is the beginning of the virus but any info you could offer would be appreciated.

23. Serious fuzzy thank you's to rottwlr2 from:

LR (11-24-2017)

What are you planning on doing when you catch it? Because if you want to treat it, it would be better to leave it in the wild. The amount of stress caused by trapping a sick, wild squirrel will likely kill it.

The sores often begin on the face, so I would say that all of these guys likely have it - some have had it for a while and those are the really bad ones - some are just starting. It is viral, so the overall health of the squirrel has a lot to do with if they get it at all and if they do, how sick they get.

While waiting for meds, I would (A) start feeding the squirrels at a couple specific times each day. They will quickly learn to show up when the chow does and it will make it a lot easier to give them the medicine balls; and (B) purchase some echinacea capsules. If you don't put water our for your crew, it is time to start put the contents of 1 500mg echinacea capsule per gallon in their water bowl. You will need to clean and replace the water daily. It may help to start boosting some immune systems and I found that my wilds had no problem drinking the echinacea water.

25. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

LR (11-24-2017), Nancy in New York (08-19-2017)

The reality here is trap and gave euthanized. This is a virus that even under the best circumstances is almost impossible to cure. To reduce a total out break...trap and have euthanized.
    People may not like my answer but if you have a neighborhood with many squirrels...this is not good.

27. Serious fuzzy thank you's to crazy4squirrels from:

LR (11-24-2017)

Glad you are getting some of the meds, but really the best thing is to trap anyone with the Pox.

I have had success treating 2 squirrels with Pox and it was a LOT of work. I'd keep putting the trap out and catch and release non Pox squirrels until you get who you want.

Putting out Boo balls laced with Acyclovir is great, but they also need the CAOH Liquid Immune Barrier https://www.caoh.com/Liquid-Immune-Barrier.html

Gold Bond Medicated Foot Powder and Triple Antibiotic ointment

Search the forum for Boo Ball recipes. But I was giving the Acyclovir and Immune Barrier 3x a day, amount based on weight.

Good luck!!!
    Kim Cassidy

29. Serious fuzzy thank you's to kcassidy from:

LR (11-24-2017)

To my understanding, acyclovir is the very most important part of treatment as it is an antiviral and pox is a virus. This is not to say that the rest isn't important, but if you have to prioritize, acyclovir.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky1 View Post
    To my understanding, acyclovir is the very most important part of treatment as it is an antiviral and pox is a virus. This is not to say that the rest isn't important, but if you have to prioritize, acyclovir.
    But it needs to be given 3x a day, so without trapping it just isn't going to work.....
    Kim Cassidy

32. Serious fuzzy thank you's to kcassidy from:

Rocky1 (08-22-2017)

I wanted to post again for a couple of reasons - first, thank you to anybody who took the time to read, comment or help me with squirrel pox. I appreciate everyone's input. Second, I wanted to do a bit of an update for anyone who is interested and especially those who might have come across the squirrel board because they saw a sick squirrel in their backyard and they were desperate to help so they searched the internet and ended up here...which is a great place to end up. For myself, seeing this squirrel in my backyard was a bit shocking - I didn't know what it was sick with and I didn't think I would be able to help. I didn't expect to keep seeing it....but I did. I saw it once a week or so for a month and then I decided I had to try and help. It was killing me to see it suffer. I ended up here and I was especially desperate to understand how folks who couldn't handle or control the environment of the squirrel could manage to help. Most the information out there assumes you can handle your squirrel, that it is tame and lives inside. Let me say that I did try initially to trap the squirrel. That was a joke. I trapped many other squirrels but this squirrel moved very slowly, was very cautious, couldn't see very well and was NOT going close to a small metal trap in my backyard. So, next option was to get info from a member here - manage to get medication from a friend who is a doctor and is compassionate and start tx. Let me just say that this squirrel recovered.....it only took 12 days of medication over 14 days. I then treated it for mange and after that....his recovery was amazing. I thought he was a she for the longest time but, nope. Once all the pox in the genital area went away I corrected my pronoun. He is amazing....I have photos, photos, photos. From when I first saw him to his mange/pox horrible state to his healing and now full recovery. I saw one other squirrel with the very beginning of pox right after I saw Little Man (his name) and I successfully treated "Eyes" as her pox were very mild in comparison. After the batch of babies came around (in October) I found 4 more with pox. Two of them are done with the meds (under three weeks each), the other has about a week to go and I have cut the medication amount in half as of about a week ago and the last one I am treating I worry about a lot. He was and is very small. He is very afflicted and not the best about eating "non squirrel" things like nut balls. He is at day 47. I have pictures of all these squirrel from the beginning of seeing them to their recovery so people can see what proper healing looks like. I have learned so much about pox and about squirrels in general....who knew they were such crazy, rascally stinkers they are? I have had no other adult become sick with pox nor has the red squirrel who lives in my neighbor's front yard but I worry about it all the time so don't mean to sound smug. I am just grateful and everyday hope this will be the last of it.

I did buy the California immune booster and put it in the water (outside, of course) and changed it often - like obsessively. I honestly am not sure how much it helped simply because for people you have to shake the bottle and then drink the dose. I just don't know how it stays suspended in water let alone really how to get the proper amount to a squirrel but I did it and who is to say if it helped or not? It wasn't pricey so why not. I also bought veggie squares and flyer squares (before I found the veggie squares) to try and help with proper nutrition. The two sickest I have treated don't want anything to do with them but everyone else loves them.

As an aside, I have also worked with two squirrels that seem to have head injuries - one more severe than the other. One would stand and fall to the side everytime she would eat something and her vision seems a bit off as her head is now a bit cocked but I fed her (and she ate) boo balls from a recipe on this site for almost two weeks before she didn't want them anymore and she now eats almost normally, doesn't rise or fall over and has put on a good amount of weight. The other squirrel gets a veggie square for nutrition and a few pecans and walnuts (shelled and unshelled). She seems to be able to survive with her disability.

There is SO MUCH to say. I have learned so much and I have many pictures as well. I tried to figure out how to attach files to this thread but it has gotten the best of me...
    If anyone here on the forum has any questions or if anyone out there is searching the internet for their own backyard squirrel please feel free to contact me. I will help in any way I can.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

34. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to rottwlr2:

cava (11-25-2017), HRT4SQRLS (11-24-2017), LR (11-24-2017), Nancy in New York (11-24-2017), TubeDriver (11-24-2017)

Well, I guess I did figure the picture situation out. This is Little Man (who was then called "The Sickest) when I first saw him and before the mange....he looked basically like he should be dead when he had mange and a bit of pox still I will attach photos. Also a photo of him on the way to recovery. The other picture is about two weeks ago when he was coming on the deck for a nut and I threw in a picture of Leaner the day I first noticed her. She eats almost normally now. She is so sweet.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

36. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to rottwlr2:

cava (11-25-2017), LR (11-24-2017), Nancy in New York (11-24-2017), TubeDriver (11-24-2017)

You are doing a great job trying to help your squirrels. Pox is a tough situation to overcome but your support could gelp make the difference.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

38. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

cava (11-25-2017)