Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: And there was two.

Exclamation And there was two.

Hi everybody.

Honestly saying that this is all very new to me/wife and we need some help please. As me and my wife were getting ready for supper yesterday evening we heard a very odd "chirping" outside of some animal in distress. First thinking it might be a small bird we looked out the window to see a baby squirrel being rigorously attacked by a crow/raven. Unfortunately being put in that situation we both could not just stand aside and take witness to the poor baby being attacked and intervened by rescuing the baby squirrel from its ultimate fate. We tried contacting vets/animal rescue institutions who'd be willing to take it in but struggled and everybody was just referring us to the next place. Closest place willing to take it in was over an hour drive away and only willing to take it in if we took it there ourselves. It endured some bite marks on two places on its tail which was luckily not too bad but still slightly gashed. We immediately started searching the internet/youtube for help on what to do next. We picked up a bottle of pediatric electrolyte and Esbilac puppy milk replacer. The baby was a bit dehydrated (following the method of slightly pulling on the skin to see how long it takes to smooth out) and today it seems to be better now. I also cleaned it with a slightly wet luke warm cloth. My questions are:

1. How long do I keep it on the pediatric electrolyte and when do I start putting it on the Esbilac
    2. How do I determine the formula to give of the Esbilac and how often do I feed it.
    3. Looking at the photo can anybody help by establishing the ages. (yes more than one)

To make this whole experience even more overwhelming we found another little baby on the grass this morning after hearing the "chirping" again. We left it a few minutes to see if mom would come get it but nothing. Please see photo attached. Eyes are still closed on both and I may be wrong with age but maybe 3-4 weeks of age if I go according to online indications. All help will be much appreciated. We live in Ontario Canada. I think it is Eastern Grey squirrels.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to ReinU:

gunpackingrandma (08-19-2017), Nancy in New York (08-15-2017), Scott (08-15-2017)

Default Re: And there was two.

Welcome to the board! I would post this in Non-Life Threatening or Baby Squirrels Questions for more attention.

Quote Originally Posted by kathy291 View Post
    Welcome to the board! I would post this in Non-Life Threatening or Baby Squirrels Questions for more attention.
    Thanks will do.

Hi Reinu, welcome to TSB! So glad you found us. Thank you for rescuing these two little ones. Sounds like something probably happened to their mama. I would estimate their age to be around 4 weeks old. I would keep them on the pedyalite for 24 hours and then if they still seem dehydrated, give them hydration in between feedings.

After they are hydrated and you start the formula, make sure to get a weight on them as you will be feeding them 5-7% or their total body weight at every feeding, which as this age I would say every 4 hours or so. If they don't seem hungry at the next feeding you can wait a little longer, but I wouldn't go much more then 5 hours at this age, especially since they have most likely been without mama for a few days. Also be sure you are using a 1cc syringe to feed them and nothing bigger then a 3cc syringe.

Also, be sure to keep them on a heat source - a heating pad on low works great but just be sure if it has automatic shut off, that you remember to keep turning it back on. I found one at Walgreens that does not have an auto shut off that works well for baby squirrels. Feel free to ask any other questions you might have.

6. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to lennysmom:

gunpackingrandma (08-19-2017), island rehabber (08-22-2017), Mel1959 (08-16-2017), Nancy in New York (08-15-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by lennysmom View Post
    Hi Reinu, welcome to TSB! So glad you found us. Thank you for rescuing these two little ones. Sounds like something probably happened to their mama. I would estimate their age to be around 4 weeks old. I would keep them on the pedyalite for 24 hours and then if they still seem dehydrated, give them hydration in between feedings.

After they are hydrated and you start the formula, make sure to get a weight on them as you will be feeding them 5-7% or their total body weight at every feeding, which as this age I would say every 4 hours or so. If they don't seem hungry at the next feeding you can wait a little longer, but I wouldn't go much more then 5 hours at this age, especially since they have most likely been without mama for a few days. Also be sure you are using a 1cc syringe to feed them and nothing bigger then a 3cc syringe.

Also, be sure to keep them on a heat source - a heating pad on low works great but just be sure if it has automatic shut off, that you remember to keep turning it back on. I found one at Walgreens that does not have an auto shut off that works well for baby squirrels. Feel free to ask any other questions you might have.
    Thank you for your friendly advice. I did also notice earlier when I had a thorough look at the baby we found today that there was slight dry blood by it's little nose which I cleaned with a soft luke warm damp cloth. Should that be something to be concerned about? It doesn't seem to bleed now so maybe just a nose bleed from a fall out of the nest maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by ReinU View Post
    Thank you for your friendly advice. I did also notice earlier when I had a thorough look at the baby we found today that there was slight dry blood by it's little nose which I cleaned with a soft luke warm damp cloth. Should that be something to be concerned about? It doesn't seem to bleed now so maybe just a nose bleed from a fall out of the nest maybe?
    If the blood was already dried, I would say it's most likely from a fall from the nest and as long as the bleeding has stopped, I wouldn't be too concerned about it at this point. Poor little ones were probably looking for help when mama didn't return. I did forget to mention to keep your eye out for others in case there may be another baby from the litter in need.
    Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

"Don't cry because it's over - smile because it happened." Dr. Seuss

9. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to lennysmom:

Mel1959 (08-16-2017), Nancy in New York (08-15-2017)

You have gotten excellent advice.
    The only thing to change is the formula.
    Get the powdered puppy esbilac, the liquid is really garbage.
    Have you started the formula yet?
    The heating pad goes UNDER HALF of the container that you have them in.
    We suggest fleece or old t shirts for their bedding, nothing like miracle cloths
    or towels as they can catch their toe nails in those.
    Also, there is an excellent link to Baby Squirrel Care.
    It's 6 pages (short precise read) with the next button being in the top right corner.
    https://www.henryspets.com/baby-squirrel-care/

Ask all the questions you need to, we are here to help.

A member recently explained the difference in the liquid esbilac and the powdered.

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    Yes, I would absolutely switch.

This is a protein issue. The canned liquid is not just the powdered stuff mixed up and canned. It is made with a type of protein called casein - and the powdered is made with whey protein isolate. Casein is much harder to digest and can actually shut the digestive process down. The food doesn't pass through the system and out the other end, and begins to putrify inside the body, killing the squirrel. They bloat up from the gasses escaping the rotting formula and die. Will it happen to EVERY baby? No - some are tougher than others - but why take the chance? Add to this the fact that while NONE of the Esbilac is cheap, you will spend WAY more buying the canned than you will the powdered.

11. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

gunpackingrandma (08-19-2017), lennysmom (08-15-2017), Mel1959 (08-16-2017), ReinU (08-15-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    You have gotten excellent advice.
    The only thing to change is the formula.
    Get the powdered puppy esbilac, the liquid is really garbage.
    Have you started the formula yet?
    The heating pad goes UNDER HALF of the container that you have them in.
    We suggest fleece or old t shirts for their bedding, nothing like miracle cloths
    or towels as they can catch their toe nails in those.
    Also, there is an excellent link to Baby Squirrel Care.
    It's 6 pages (short precise read) with the next button being in the top right corner.
    https://www.henryspets.com/baby-squirrel-care/

Ask all the questions you need to, we are here to help.

A member recently explained the difference in the liquid esbilac and the powdered.

Thanks for excellent advice yet again. I'm really glad I stumbled onto this site. I did actually get Esbilac in the powder form exactly as the photo you put so glad I got that right. I have not started putting them on the formula yet and was thinking of starting tomorrow. I'm first making 100% sure they are ready to go onto the formula. They are truly the cutest little critters and I really want to be a thorough as possible and not put them in any danger by doing it wrong. Will ask if I need anything else thank you very much for all the help.

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to ReinU from:

Nancy in New York (08-15-2017)

Thanks for excellent advice yet again. I'm really glad I stumbled onto this site. I did actually get Esbilac in the powder form exactly as the photo you put so glad I got that right. I have not started putting them on the formula yet and was thinking of starting tomorrow. I'm first making 100% sure they are ready to go onto the formula. They are truly the cutest little critters and I really want to be a thorough as possible and not put them in any danger by doing it wrong. Will ask if I need anything else thank you very much for all the help.
    Your little ones need nourishment now.
    Don't hold off until tomorrow.
    They can have water with a touch of hooney in between formula feedings.
    You can do the formula 1 part esbilac powder to 3 parts HOT water for
    now. After a couple of feedings go to full strength of 1 part formula to 2 parts HOT water.
    Let it sit for a while and then feed according to their weight.
    If you have a scale weigh them, and then only do the 5% rule of thumb to start at each feeding.
    We can move up the amount later if they are still hungry. (Let's see how they do with this amount to start)
    At this age I would feed them every 4 hours round the clock.

Here's a chart to help you determine how much to feed according to their weight in grams.

15. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

lennysmom (08-15-2017), Mel1959 (08-16-2017), ReinU (08-16-2017)

Also want to mention that using the right feeding equipment is a big help too. Not sure how expensive it would be to order from the US, but if you go here www.squirrelsandmore.com you'll find everything you need (except Henry's Healthy Blocks).

Most of use the Miracle Nipple to feed the babies, they really love it. Also you need 3cc and 5cc syringes. These guys can suck pretty hard so you have to be careful when feeding them (on their tummies) that they don't aspirate. If they do, I hang them upside down and suck their nose 1 or 2x (I'm not the only Kook who does this, so don't judge )

I throw my syringe away when it starts to stick. I find the Miracle Syringes last much longer than other ones that I've bought off Amazon.

Good luck and please post more pictures.
    Kim Cassidy
    Licensed NY Wildlife Rehabilitator

17. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to kcassidy:

gunpackingrandma (08-19-2017), ReinU (08-16-2017)

How are these little ones doing with their feedings?

You need to stimulate them to potty before and sometimes after feeding. Use a cotton ball or toilet paper to gently rub back and forth on their genitals. Some folks also use their finger or a small makeup brush.

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

lennysmom (08-16-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by kcassidy View Post
    Also want to mention that using the right feeding equipment is a big help too. Not sure how expensive it would be to order from the US, but if you go here www.squirrelsandmore.com you'll find everything you need (except Henry's Healthy Blocks).

Most of use the Miracle Nipple to feed the babies, they really love it. Also you need 3cc and 5cc syringes. These guys can suck pretty hard so you have to be careful when feeding them (on their tummies) that they don't aspirate. If they do, I hang them upside down and suck their nose 1 or 2x (I'm not the only Kook who does this, so don't judge )

I throw my syringe away when it starts to stick. I find the Miracle Syringes last much longer than other ones that I've bought off Amazon.

Thank you. I did start feeding on the Esbilac last night already and the one (attacked by crow/raven) seems to be a real little fighter and feisty one. I'm really a bit worried about the 2nd baby we saved which had dry blood by the nose. It seems she has difficulty breathing and makes funny noises through the nose. My wife read up on it last night and a "clicking" sound might indicate pneumonia. It also seems to me that even after I cleaned the dry blood that it seems there is still signs of dry blood forming at the tips of the nose this morning. She's breathing a bit better today than yesterday though so I really hope she pulls through. She weighs 110g and on feeding is not very willing to participate.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    How are these little ones doing with their feedings?

You need to stimulate them to potty before and sometimes after feeding. Use a cotton ball or toilet paper to gently rub back and forth on their genitals. Some folks also use their finger or a small makeup brush.
    I stimulated both after feeding this morning and they both had clear urine which I take is a good sign. Thanks. Really just worried about the 2nd baby with the breathing issue.

Thank you. I did start feeding on the Esbilac last night already and the one (attacked by crow/raven) seems to be a real little fighter and feisty one. I'm really a bit worried about the 2nd baby we saved which had dry blood by the nose. It seems she has difficulty breathing and makes funny noises through the nose. My wife read up on it last night and a "clicking" sound might indicate pneumonia. It also seems to me that even after I cleaned the dry blood that it seems there is still signs of dry blood forming at the tips of the nose this morning. She's breathing a bit better today than yesterday though so I really hope she pulls through. She weighs 110g and on feeding is not very willing to participate.
    She is probably having difficulty breathing and eating.
    If you have a humidifer you can make a "tent" near her to help with
    the breathing. I would keep her near the humidifer for 20-30 minutes (start with this) or
    longer periodically throughout the day, see if that helps her.
    Also sometimes they need to be pottied before and during eating.
    I have had them get really fussy if they need to potty and stimulating
    them will sometimes do the trick.

23. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

kcassidy (08-18-2017), lennysmom (08-16-2017), ReinU (08-16-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by kcassidy View Post
    thank you. The one on the top is the one I'm worried about most. Both are female.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by ReinU; 08-16-2017 at 09:32 AM. Reason: adding info

Precious just precious.
    What makes you think she may have pneumonia?
    Is the clicking constant?
    IF she does she would need Augmentin or Clavamox
    Baytril (animal antibiotic) or Cipro (Human)
    I will be going off line, but others will be along as well.

26. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

lennysmom (08-16-2017)

If you think her nose is stopped up you can use children's neosynephrine and put one small drop on your finger and hold it to her nose so she can breath it up. It should reduce some swelling and open her nose.

Sometimes it takes several days for them to get the hang of the nipple.

They are cutie-pies!

28. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

gunpackingrandma (08-19-2017), lennysmom (08-16-2017), Nancy in New York (08-16-2017), ReinU (08-16-2017)

Thumbs up Re: And there was two.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    Precious just precious.
    What makes you think she may have pneumonia?
    Is the clicking constant?
    IF she does she would need Augmentin or Clavamox
    Baytril (animal antibiotic) or Cipro (Human)
    I will be going off line, but others will be along as well.
    It was the clicking sounds yes. She is slightly breathing a bit better now but I have a feeling it is just the blood which dried up in her nose that might cause her breathing to sound like that. I can't thank you all enough for all your advice you've given so far.

30. Serious fuzzy thank you's to ReinU from:

Nancy in New York (08-16-2017)

It was the clicking sounds yes. She is slightly breathing a bit better now but I have a feeling it is just the blood which dried up in her nose that might cause her breathing to sound like that. I can't thank you all enough for all your advice you've given so far.
    I'm glad to hear she is breathing a little better. Just be sure to continue to monitor her closely for clicking to be on the safe side as aspiration pneumonia is very dangerous for these little ones and can kill quickly if left untreated. It also might be a good idea to see if you can locate one of the antibiotics that Nancy mentioned just in case you do start hearing the clicking with every breath. Hopefully it is just the dried blood in her nose that is causing her breathing issues. Love the precious picture of them.
    Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

"Don't cry because it's over - smile because it happened." Dr. Seuss

32. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to lennysmom:

Nancy in New York (08-16-2017), ReinU (08-16-2017)

As others have said, it is probably the stuffed up nose that is making it difficult for her to breathe. When I get snot noses in, I take much longer to feed them their formula. It is hard for them to suck when they can't breathe thru their nose. So be patient with her (him?)

You're doing a good job and the picture is adorable, I love them.
    Kim Cassidy
    Licensed NY Wildlife Rehabilitator

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast