Thread: Unerupted molars in 2 1/2yr old red squirrel

Default Unerupted molars in 2 1/2yr old red squirrel

I have a 2 1/2yr old red squirrel that has all his molars unerupted, none erupted.
    He is a nonreleaseable at our rehab due to neurological problems from head trauma. He came in as a pinkie with a swollen, bruised head.
    Last fall, he slowly began not eating certain foods. Took him to vet in dec. for tooth check, as his top incisors were very short, lowers long but didn't need a trim. He has maintained weight.
    Went to vet this week, as his eyes appeared a little wet, puffy underneath & sticking shut for a bit upon waking.
    Did an xray, and he has no exposed molars.
    Vet won't attempt teeth removal.
    Jaws have inflammation, hence, the wet eyes.
    Vet trimmed lower incisors, and now squirrel having trouble eating his block, so have made him 'mush' of block. No inflammatory drugs prescibed vet just wants to monitor.
    I plan to give metacam, as I can't just watch him slowly die/ starve, without at least treating his symptoms, make him feel as comfortable & happy as I can. And he is still quite feisty.
    Wondering if any others on this board have come across squirrels with unerupted molars.

Default Re: Unerupted molars in 2 1/2yr old red squirrel

Will'sMom, I haven't personally had a squirrel with teeth problems but have read about many that do. I think the metacam is a good idea. If the vet can see inflammation in the jaw, I think you should also treat for infection. Infection in the mouth area of squirrels is very common. Can you ask your vet for an antibiotic? Clavamox would be a good choice. It is definitely worth trying. If the vet won't give you antibiotics, do you have any OR can you get some from family or friends? The human equivalent is Augmentin. We can help you dose it.

3. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

island rehabber (02-18-2017), Mel1959 (02-18-2017), Will's Mom (02-19-2017)

DaSquirrelMom Guest

I haven't had any with unerupted molars, but I know of two rescue babies that grew up and never developed upper incisors. They weren't in the same litter, but were found in the same geographic area.

Maybe he will eat a little butter pecan flavored Ensure? Try it in small amounts first to see if diarrhea develops.

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to DaSquirrelMom:

island rehabber (02-18-2017), Will's Mom (02-19-2017)

He's eating his mush of rodent block, & a few blueberries.
    Second vet thought possible abcess, so tms antibiotic, and metacam.
    Hoping this helps! Fingers crossed!

I have had lots of squirrels with teeth problems. I've never had one that had molar issues though. This is interesting. Can you possibly post the X-ray?

Update:
    Xrays done in June show that molars are all erupted now. Strange but good.
    Unfortunately, has symptoms of odontoma(upper front teeth barely appearing, sniffling), although xrays don't clearly show signs.