Thread: ebsalic?

Default ebsalic?

so reading through the forum alot of people say you need to feed your babies the powder version, ive been using the can version with no issues for about a week now, should i stop?

i dont want to harm them

Default Re: ebsalic?

Yes, I would absolutely switch.

This is a protein issue. The canned liquid is not just the powdered stuff mixed up and canned. It is made with a type of protein called casein - and the powdered is made with whey protein isolate. Casein is much harder to digest and can actually shut the digestive process down. The food doesn't pass through the system and out the other end, and begins to putrify inside the body, killing the squirrel. They bloat up from the gasses escaping the rotting formula and die. Will it happen to EVERY baby? No - some are tougher than others - but why take the chance? Add to this the fact that while NONE of the Esbilac is cheap, you will spend WAY more buying the canned than you will the powdered.

3. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Coralreefer (08-12-2017), Mag72207mrg (08-12-2017), Nancy in New York (08-12-2017), Rhapsody (08-13-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Mag72207mrg View Post
    so reading through the forum alot of people say you need to feed your babies the powder version, ive been using the can version with no issues for about a week now, should i stop?

i dont want to harm them

Yes, please switch them to the powdered ESBILAC, the one with probotics added (blue stripe around top of can will say this.) The liquid will eventually give them diarrhea.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    Yes, I would absolutely switch.

This is a protein issue. The canned liquid is not just the powdered stuff mixed up and canned. It is made with a type of protein called casein - and the powdered is made with whey protein isolate. Casein is much harder to digest and can actually shut the digestive process down. The food doesn't pass through the system and out the other end, and begins to putrify inside the body, killing the squirrel. They bloat up from the gasses escaping the rotting formula and die. Will it happen to EVERY baby? No - some are tougher than others - but why take the chance? Add to this the fact that while NONE of the Esbilac is cheap, you will spend WAY more buying the canned than you will the powdered.
    Whoops - forgot. If you have a Tractor Supply near you - I know there is one on Route 1 in Scarborough nearly to Biddeford, their Esbilac is a little less expensive than the pet stores.

And DON'T be tempted to buy "Petlac" instead. It is junk.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

island rehabber (08-12-2017)

I concur with Crittermom!
    Switch to the powder for all the reasons she stated.

Name:  08966e91eda47bbe87ab41c692cd4244.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  53.0 KB
    Proud Squaddy to Pee Wee Squirrel, Lebron, Marino, Griese, Csonka, Patty, Sneezy, Grumpy, Shortcake, Trixie, Stinky, Hooty, Chewey, Bucky,Peyton, Dash, Braveheart, Thelma & Louise, Plumpkin & Spice, Nemo & Dori, the three little bears Smoky, Yogi and Booboo.

Quote Originally Posted by Coralreefer View Post
    I concur with Crittermom!
    Switch to the powder for all the reasons she stated.

Name:  08966e91eda47bbe87ab41c692cd4244.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  53.0 KB

thank you all

Hey - you are nursing the baby flyers. Are you all set with feeding syringes and nipples? You shouldn't be using anything larger than a 1cc syringe and the proper nipples make feeding SO MUCH EASIER because it feels more like mama. If you are not, let me know - I can hook you up with some. I am in the greater Portland area.

i have a bigger syringe, but ive completely mastered jut doing a drop at a time, they are full and happy :-p one thing i was thinking though.. Alot of people talk about adding whipping cream? thank you for the offer though! The last squirrel i rehabbed was just at weaning age so this is all new to me, but its something im sure i will do alot with my profession, at the moment 4 people from my place of employment are rehabbing, tis' the season

they are eating about 1 1/2 cc every 3-4 hours now, they attack that nipple like there life depends on it for the formula :-p which is a relief, the first day i was worried as they were not really picking up how to do it

Default fat and happy

Name:  20839562_10215270057602389_1123947448_n.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  216.5 KB

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mag72207mrg from:

Coralreefer (08-13-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Mag72207mrg View Post
    they are eating about 1 1/2 cc every 3-4 hours now, they attack that nipple like there life depends on it for the formula :-p which is a relief, the first day i was worried as they were not really picking up how to do it
    Lord the baby fliers are adorable!

I aswered your formula questions very specifically in the last post on your other thread: https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-rehablitators

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    Lord the baby fliers are adorable!

I aswered your formula questions very specifically in the last post on your other thread: https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-rehablitators
    thank you very much, i ordered the powdered formula, it ill be here tomorrow and i ill go get the other ingredient today