Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: My gray squirrel Nyka

Default Re: My one year old eastern gray Nyka

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    I can tell how much you love your girl!!

Thank you so much for listening and learning and giving us feedback. It makes every effort we put in on this board worthwhile.
    My pleasure n thank u very much for ur help!!
    Is it OK to give her yogurt for more calcium? I've been giving her the tums by syringe but it was pretty difficult. Hopefully her Henry's picky blocks arrive today. Thanks again!! It means so much to me

Yes, she can have yogurt. Some love it... others won't touch it.
    I just love your pics.
    Nyla looks really good. Very beautiful.

Default Re: My gray squirrel Nyka

Quote Originally Posted by SandyC View Post
    Is there a way to upload videos to this forum?
    There is, but I don't know how to do it.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

SandyC (08-18-2017)

I have a non releasable squirrel that doesn't eat well and I give her yogurt daily for the extra calcium - the only kind I've found that she will eat consistently is the Yobaby vanilla yogurt.

As far as videos are concerned, I just upload my videos to YouTube and then post the link here on my thread so everyone can view it. But if you prefer to actually post the video clip on the board, you can copy that link and click the little video strip icon up at the top of your screen, paste the link in the box and that should work too.

You little Nyka is just so precious!
    Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

"Don't cry because it's over - smile because it happened." Dr. Seuss

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to lennysmom from:

SandyC (08-18-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    Sorry we are cross posting. Hrt4SQRLS is right on. Give us sometime like I said so we can figure things out and be in real time with each other.

My six year old grey used to do what it sounds like your girl is doing. She would go off her food and have super high energy. Although she would spend part of her day going from one window to another. It seems that in late summer there is a migration of squirrels from the area and I always thought my girl could feel the urge for movement also. This would last for a few weeks and I would frantically try and figure out how to get her to eat quality food during that time. It would happen each year at the same time of year for several weeks.

I like what you did with crushing up your block and mixing it with a nut butter. Way to go!
    Henry's blocks just got here n nyka is gobbling them up!!! Im so happy I could pass out!! I was so worried BC she wasn't eating much n her tail was thinning n her coat just didn't feel as silky. I can't thank all of u enough for all ur help!!!
    So, does she just eat these from now on? Breakfast, lunch, dinner? N an almond or piece of fruit here n there, not on daily basis. The blocks have all she needs for proper nutrition right?

Sandy, the Henrys blocks are a supplement block. Depending on her size, she can have either 2 or 3 per day. If she's a big girl she can have 3 max. If she eats more than that, she will be over supplementing. Remember, the Henrys are packed with vitamins and minerals. I would buy some Harlan Teklad 2016 blocks online. They are a 'normal' rodent block but IMO they are one of the better rodent blocks. She can have Teklad blocks free choice. I think they have a new company. I don't think it's Harlan but if you google it, it comes right up. The company sells LARGE bags... like 33 lbs. There are resellers that aliquot them in smaller portions and sell them as 1,2 or 5 lbs bags. Amazon sells them.

She still needs healthy veggies. She can have a little fruit as a treat and a nut as a treat. With her history I would hold off on the nuts for a while. When she is eating a 'complete' healthy diet, then she could get a nut per day as a treat (at the end of the day).

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

lennysmom (08-16-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by lennysmom View Post
    I have a non releasable squirrel that doesn't eat well and I give her yogurt daily for the extra calcium - the only kind I've found that she will eat consistently is the Yobaby vanilla yogurt.

As far as videos are concerned, I just upload my videos to YouTube and then post the link here on my thread so everyone can view it. But if you prefer to actually post the video clip on the board, you can copy that link and click the little video strip icon up at the top of your screen, paste the link in the box and that should work too.

You little Nyka is just so precious!
    Thank u very much!! She's my baby!! Her Henry's picky blocks just got here n she's gobbling them up!! I posted a new thread but might as well ask, can I stop the tums treatment now? N r the blocks enough to b eaten w o anything else as part of her diet? She's just so picky n has recently snubbed everything I've offered her. Maybe once her calcium n vit d levels get on track she'll get more of an appetite? Luckily she was a chunker so the weight she lost has made her weight perfect. Her tail also started to thin n her coat doesn't feel as silky so I'm assuming once her levels r normal she'll get her beautiful fluffy tail back n silky soft coat? Or is she going thru a shedding period for her winter coat? Sorry for so many questions I just love her so much n she means the world to me. I have the nutrition chart but again BC of her pickiness I was hoping the blocks r enough. Thanks again everyone!! I'm so happy I could dance all day n night!! As far as the videos ty for that info as well. I'm sure I won't b able to do it lol but I'll try. Thanks again!!

As far as ur baby, I was giving her plenty of cuttle bones n she loves Ecotrition yogies. They're lil yogurt chips that come in different flavors. I didn't realise my babys diet was all wrong. I gave her fruit for breakfast the wrong kind of blocks but she ate them n she loved yam for dinner. Very rarely did I give her nuts. N I was guilty of feeding her pumpkin seeds once a day. I'd try the Henry's picky eater blocks. Nyka was snubbing everything n I just gave her two about 20 mins ago n she loves them! She better keep loving them, I've done enough worrying for a life time! Even when she ate like a pig I worried lol. Good luck, n I hope the info I gave u helps!!

Thank u very much!! She's my baby!! Her Henry's picky blocks just got here n she's gobbling them up!! I posted a new thread but might as well ask, can I stop the tums treatment now? N r the blocks enough to b eaten w o anything else as part of her diet? She's just so picky n has recently snubbed everything I've offered her. Maybe once her calcium n vit d levels get on track she'll get more of an appetite? Luckily she was a chunker so the weight she lost has made her weight perfect. Her tail also started to thin n her coat doesn't feel as silky so I'm assuming once her levels r normal she'll get her beautiful fluffy tail back n silky soft coat? Or is she going thru a shedding period for her winter coat? Sorry for so many questions I just love her so much n she means the world to me. I have the nutrition chart but again BC of her pickiness I was hoping the blocks r enough. Thanks again everyone!! I'm so happy I could dance all day n night!! As far as the videos ty for that info as well. I'm sure I won't b able to do it lol but I'll try. Thanks again!!

As far as ur baby, I was giving her plenty of cuttle bones n she loves Ecotrition yogies. They're lil yogurt chips that come in different flavors. I didn't realise my babys diet was all wrong. I gave her fruit for breakfast the wrong kind of blocks but she ate them n she loved yam for dinner. Very rarely did I give her nuts. N I was guilty of feeding her pumpkin seeds once a day. I'd try the Henry's picky eater blocks. Nyka was snubbing everything n I just gave her two about 20 mins ago n she loves them! She better keep loving them, I've done enough worrying for a life time! Even when she ate like a pig I worried lol. Good luck, n I hope the info I gave u helps!!
    Her coat and tail will definitely start to fill out and look better after she has received proper nutrition for a while. Since I've never dealt with possible MBD in a squirrel, I'm not sure if it is necessary for you to continue the tums or not - I'll leave that answer for those with experience in that.

As far as her being a picky eater, a big part of that may be her adjusting to her new diet, kind of like a little kid that's used to eating junk food and then doesn't want to eat the healthy stuff. Hopefully once she adjusts, she will start eating her veggies better. I do have one very picky eater who I have a constant struggle with to get her to eat sometimes - I have to keep her on a very strict diet and limit her treats until I see her eating her healthy stuff.

So happy to hear you little Nyka is doing better. A healthy diet truly does make a world of difference in these little ones. I'm glad she has a mama that cares enough about her to make the needed diet adjustments so she can be a happy and healthy little girl.
    Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

"Don't cry because it's over - smile because it happened." Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    Sandy, the Henrys blocks are a supplement block. Depending on her size, she can have either 2 or 3 per day. If she's a big girl she can have 3 max. If she eats more than that, she will be over supplementing. Remember, the Henrys are packed with vitamins and minerals. I would buy some Harlan Teklad 2016 blocks online. They are a 'normal' rodent block but IMO they are one of the better rodent blocks. She can have Teklad blocks free choice. I think they have a new company. I don't think it's Harlan but if you google it, it comes right up. The company sells LARGE bags... like 33 lbs. There are resellers that aliquot them in smaller portions and sell them as 1,2 or 5 lbs bags. Amazon sells them.

She still needs healthy veggies. She can have a little fruit as a treat and a nut as a treat. With her history I would hold off on the nuts for a while. When she is eating a 'complete' healthy diet, then she could get a nut per day as a treat (at the end of the day).
    OK. So the picky blocks shouldn't b part of her diet for ever? R they just to get her eating again n get her nutrition back on track? I gave her three yesterday but she only ate two n today I gave her two but she's being her picky self n not really eating them. It is early in the am so maybe she's not hungry yet. She used to eat as soon as she woke up that's y I'm still concerned. My friend has the regular adult Henry's blocks that she's going to give me. Should I give her the picky blocks n switch to the other ones once this bag is done? I did get her to eat two small pieces of cucumber last pm before bed. OK so as I understand it, the blocks r needed as part of her diet w veggies. She's so picky w veggies. Always has been. I think that's how I got into bad habits w her. I was worried she was gonna starve. Anyway- can a small piece of fruit be given daily? I used to give her that in the morning. She started to even snub her fruits. Her whole attitude has changed over the past two wks. Snubbing everything I usually gave her n her energy has sky rocketed. She also seems to be very interested in what's going on outside. Could this be BC she reached adulthood? Can squirrels suddenly change their taste for foods? I tried to mix it up so she wouldn't get bored. But the veggies have always been a problem. I just bought endive, collards, beet greens, snap peas, kale, snubs them all. Can I assume she won't starve herself n will eat what she's given learning that she has to eat or she'll die? GOD FORBID!! N nuts aren't going anywhere near her for a long time. I never gave her alot in the first place. Maybe one or two almonds or a piece of walnut once or twice a month. Once she's back on track, she can have them every night? N I know now no seeds!! Thank u so much for responding!!

OK. So the picky blocks shouldn't b part of her diet for ever? R they just to get her eating again n get her nutrition back on track? I gave her three yesterday but she only ate two n today I gave her two but she's being her picky self n not really eating them. It is early in the am so maybe she's not hungry yet. She used to eat as soon as she woke up that's y I'm still concerned. My friend has the regular adult Henry's blocks that she's going to give me. Should I give her the picky blocks n switch to the other ones once this bag is done? I did get her to eat two small pieces of cucumber last pm before bed. OK so as I understand it, the blocks r needed as part of her diet w veggies. She's so picky w veggies. Always has been. I think that's how I got into bad habits w her. I was worried she was gonna starve. Anyway- can a small piece of fruit be given daily? I used to give her that in the morning. She started to even snub her fruits. Her whole attitude has changed over the past two wks. Snubbing everything I usually gave her n her energy has sky rocketed. She also seems to be very interested in what's going on outside. Could this be BC she reached adulthood? Can squirrels suddenly change their taste for foods? I tried to mix it up so she wouldn't get bored. But the veggies have always been a problem. I just bought endive, collards, beet greens, snap peas, kale, snubs them all. Can I assume she won't starve herself n will eat what she's given learning that she has to eat or she'll die? GOD FORBID!! N nuts aren't going anywhere near her for a long time. I never gave her alot in the first place. Maybe one or two almonds or a piece of walnut once or twice a month. Once she's back on track, she can have them every night? N I know now no seeds!! Thank u so much for responding!!
    OK, A lot of questions to answer here. If I miss something ask again.
    First... the blocks will always be part of her diet... forever.
    You can switch between the picky eater block OR the adult blocks at any time.
    The reason I suggested the picky eater block is because they are supposedly more palatable. I believe they have more nuts in them. I would assume that they also have more minerals to counterbalance the negative aspects of the nuts but I'm not sure how that works. If she gets tired of the picky eater block, you could try the adult block.

You're going to have to be the bad momma to enforce the healthy diet. It's called tough love. In the morning you give her one block. Nothing else. She will NOT starve herself. When she eats the block you can give her a bowl of healthy veggies. I would not offer fruit in the morning. It is a treat, not a staple. You don't want her filling up on a 'treat' food. I would give a second block in the evening. You could also offer a rodent block like Harlan Teklad but seriously, I doubt she will eat it. IF she has been a good girl and has eaten her block I might give a small piece of fruit as a late evening snack. She is not going to cooperate. She will resist but you have to be strong.
    She won't starve herself. When she eats a proper diet she can have an evening nut. I suspect that will be a LONG time in the future. An occasional in shell nut is good for keeping the teeth filed. You can also give her oak branches to chew. They LOVE to chew branches. Make sure any branch you give her is on the 'safe tree' list.

Yes... they do change what they eat quite often. Today they will eat snap peas or kale ... tomorrow they hate them. It is a constant battle to find foods that they will eat, especially the picky eaters. That's why it's so important to start them on a healthy diet when they are babies. Babies started out on a proper diet are usually good eaters.

Remind me how old she is. I would continue supplementing with the Tums per the MBD protocol. If her appetite picks up and she starts eating healthy you might be able to start backing down on the calcium. If you notice regarding the MBD protocol, you would start reducing the amount of calcium on a weekly basis anyway.

Yes, she can have yogurt. Some love it... others won't touch it.
    I just love your pics.
    Nyla looks really good. Very beautiful.
    Thank u. She didn't like it of course. I'm gonna get some more yogies. They're lil yogurt chips. She really likes them. But now I have the Henry's picky blocks so hopefully she keeps eating them. Today she just nibbled on them. Fingers crossed everyone! Please! N thanks again!! Ur guys r the best!!

The reason I suggested the picky eater block is because they are supposedly more palatable. I believe they have more nuts in them. I would assume that they also have more minerals to counterbalance the negative aspects of the nuts but I'm not sure how that works. If she gets tired of the picky eater block, you could try the adult block.

You're going to have to be the bad momma to enforce the healthy diet. It's called tough love. In the morning you give her one block. Nothing else. She will NOT starve herself. When she eats the block you can give her a bowl of healthy veggies. I would not offer fruit in the morning. It is a treat, not a staple. You don't want her filling up on a 'treat' food. I would give a second block in the evening. You could also offer a rodent block like Harlan Teklad but seriously, I doubt she will eat it. IF she has been a good girl and has eaten her block I might give a small piece of fruit as a late evening snack. She is not going to cooperate. She will resist but you have to be strong.
    She won't starve herself. When she eats a proper diet she can have an evening nut. I suspect that will be a LONG time in the future. An occasional in shell nut is good for keeping the teeth filed. You can also give her oak branches to chew. They LOVE to chew branches. Make sure any branch you give her is on the 'safe tree' list.

Yes... they do change what they eat quite often. Today they will eat snap peas or kale ... tomorrow they hate them. It is a constant battle to find foods that they will eat, especially the picky eaters. That's why it's so important to start them on a healthy diet when they are babies. Babies started out on a proper diet are usually good eaters.

Remind me how old she is. I would continue supplementing with the Tums per the MBD protocol. If her appetite picks up and she starts eating healthy you might be able to start backing down on the calcium. If you notice regarding the MBD protocol, you would start reducing the amount of calcium on a weekly basis anyway.
    Thank u so much!! Tough love it is then. I just wanted to make sure she won't starve herself. She's already lost some weight but she needed to BC she was a chunky monkey. She is approx 14 months old. I gave her one block this am. Gave her some veggies on a plate but didn't give her much time to eat the block. OK. So a block in the am. Change em up so she doesn't get bored. N veggies after she eats her block. Another block in the evening. Veggies for dinner. Fruit only in the evening if she's a good girl lol. Nuts ain't happenin any time soon. Seeds never again. I'm going to get her the yogurt chips formulated for rodents like I did before. She really liked them. The time has been very difficult that's y I want to get the chips. Just alil extra calcium w the picky blocks. Thanks again!! Uve really been a huge help!! I posted some more pics on my other thread. Hope u get to c them.

I forgot to mention she has plenty to chew on. Alot of wood. Some of the wood is from old stools ect. Is that safe? She also loves to chew on plastic bottles. Her teeth r perfect. Knock on wood. She also has cuttle bones that she chews on n off. Thanks again!!

I forgot to mention she has plenty to chew on. Alot of wood. Some of the wood is from old stools ect. Is that safe? She also loves to chew on plastic bottles. Her teeth r perfect. Knock on wood. She also has cuttle bones that she chews on n off. Thanks again!!
    She can chew wood. I wouldn't let her chew painted wood.

I definitely would NOT let her chew plastic bottles. I lost a flying squirrel this year. The death was sudden and unexpected. He was only 4 years old. He had a horrible habit of chewing anything plastic. I'm not talking about a little nibbling. I'm talking about turning anything plastic into plastic dust. He got more out of cage time than my other boys. As I cleaned the areas (after he passed) that he liked to hang out in (like drawers in his room), I was horrified at the amount of plastic that he chewed. He sought it out. When I saw that, I remembered a documentary that I had seen about sea birds (albatross) ingesting the plastic litter in the ocean. Midway island is littered with thousands of dead and dying sea birds. ALL of the carcasses had plastic in the gut.
    I couldn't help but wonder if my boy had died from ingested plastic. If he ingest just a little of what he chewed ....
    I'll never know but I'll always suspect it and it will always haunt me.

NO plastic. Branches are much safer. I actually prefer branches to wood. I know some give their squirrels short blocks of wood and they pulverize them into toothpicks. Now, I'm even afraid of that because if they ingest a straight, hard piece of wood, it could be a gut puncture risk.

She can chew wood. I wouldn't let her chew painted wood.

I definitely would NOT let her chew plastic bottles. I lost a flying squirrel this year. The death was sudden and unexpected. He was only 4 years old. He had a horrible habit of chewing anything plastic. I'm not talking about a little nibbling. I'm talking about turning anything plastic into plastic dust. He got more out of cage time than my other boys. As I cleaned the areas (after he passed) that he liked to hang out in (like drawers in his room), I was horrified at the amount of plastic that he chewed. He sought it out. When I saw that, I remembered a documentary that I had seen about sea birds (albatross) ingesting the plastic litter in the ocean. Midway island is littered with thousands of dead and dying sea birds. ALL of the carcasses had plastic in the gut.
    I couldn't help but wonder if my boy had died from ingested plastic. If he ingest just a little of what he chewed ....
    I'll never know but I'll always suspect it and it will always haunt me.

NO plastic. Branches are much safer. I actually prefer branches to wood. I know some give their squirrels short blocks of wood and they pulverize them into toothpicks. Now, I'm even afraid of that because if they ingest a straight, hard piece of wood, it could be a gut puncture risk.
    Holy sh*t!! I'll take all the plastic out of her room. The stools in her sunroom aren't painted but they're stained. She doesn't really chew on them too much. I do worry that she's chewing the walls. Is there a spray I can use to offend her n keep her from chewing. It's not that much or that often but I worry about every lil thing w her so I'd like her to stop. I have a maple tree is that safe for her to chew on? I'll cut some branches off of it tomoro. In her cage she has alot of very thick branches to climb n play on but that was when she was a baby. Now she's never ever caged. It's basically just there for her water n she likes to lay on top of it w her blankie. I looked on line for safe trees but I don't trust the internet anymore since they totally misguided me on her diet. I didn't learn what her diet should b n so much more, til I joined this forum. Oh I do get her the wooden toys that r made for chewing. But it says rodents, n as I'm learning, squirrels r very different from other rodents. I also get her cuttle bones to chew on for calcium n her teeth. After I get the branches, I'd like to wash them off, is that OK? I'm afraid she doesn't have enough of an immunity for anything that's outside. I wish she did BC I'd love to get her a leash n get her outside for alil bit to get some sun for the vit d. OK I think I've taken up enough of ur time. Thank u so very much!! It means alot to me that all of u have been so kind n informative!

Quote Originally Posted by lennysmom View Post
    Her coat and tail will definitely start to fill out and look better after she has received proper nutrition for a while. Since I've never dealt with possible MBD in a squirrel, I'm not sure if it is necessary for you to continue the tums or not - I'll leave that answer for those with experience in that.

As far as her being a picky eater, a big part of that may be her adjusting to her new diet, kind of like a little kid that's used to eating junk food and then doesn't want to eat the healthy stuff. Hopefully once she adjusts, she will start eating her veggies better. I do have one very picky eater who I have a constant struggle with to get her to eat sometimes - I have to keep her on a very strict diet and limit her treats until I see her eating her healthy stuff.

So happy to hear you little Nyka is doing better. A healthy diet truly does make a world of difference in these little ones. I'm glad she has a mama that cares enough about her to make the needed diet adjustments so she can be a happy and healthy little girl.
    I think I replied to u in the wrong quoted text. I just wanted to make sure I thanked u for responding n that I'm grateful for the info u have given me. Some where in this thread there's a reply to u n I'm sure it's as long as can be lol.

Maple branches are fine. Some people wash them. I usually don't. On the healthy diet link you will find the safe trees. This is a screen shot.

Attachment 291633

Maple branches are fine. Some people wash them. I usually don't. On the healthy diet link you will find the safe trees. This is a screen shot.

Attachment 291633
    Ur thr best!! Thank u so much!! Just got some maple branches all washed up n ready to go. Thanks again!!

Attachment 291633
    Thank u again! She tore those branches up lol!!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234