Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My gray squirrel Nyka

Hybrid View

Default My gray squirrel Nyka

Hello all. I am new to this forum so please forgive me if I'm not posting correctly etc. So, I have a 1 yr old eastern gray female named Nyka I've had since she was approx 8 wks old. A friend found near death at 4-5 wks n nursed her back to health n couldn't find a place that wouldn't euthanize her so I took her. She was eating n drinking more than ever, actually became alil chubby. Over the past week or so she hasn't been eating the way she normally does. Certainly not as much n not all at once like before. Just kind of alil here n alil there. She even stopped going crazy for pumpkin seeds, which I couldn't get to her fast enough. Is this BC she has reached adulthood or could possibly be in heat? I changed her diet from blueberries, cherries-no pit, to every other fruit known to man, but she really doesn't care for any of them. She does seem to take to apricot somewhat. About 3months ago she did snub her usual bananas or apples for breakfast so I didn't think much of it when she snubbed the berries this time. What has me worried is that she doesn't care for her seeds anymore. Also she loved her yam for dinner, n now is even snubbing that. I managed to get her to eat white sweet corn from the cob n avocado. I finally found a rodent block she liked n now she's snubbing that too, even when I put peanut butter on it. Her energy level is actually higher than ever. She's crazy lol. Shes still drinking water, urinating, n defecating (alot smaller lil pebbles) n last night during bed time she all of sudden hopped up ran to the floor n drug her lil tooshie or "peach" across the floor. Of course I freaked out. I was able to get a good look then n several times today. All seems good. She went potty so no constipation or blockage, KNOCK ON WOOD, n all is normal again although she is not sleeping in her usual spot in my closet. She has a cage but I don't keep her in it. It's in a sun room so she has the whole room to herself. At night she comes in my room n had made herself a nice lil nest in my closet w a pair of my fleece pjs. Tonight she's sleeping right next to it. Any input would be greatly appreciated. She's my baby n I love her w all my heart!! Thanks for reading n sorry if this is so long.

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SandyC from:

Shewhosweptforest (08-12-2017)

Default Re: My gray squirrel Nyka

Hi Sandy
    What type of rodent block was she eating? I'm afraid the diet is a problem. Fruit should be given as a treat only and not as a large part of the diet. Seeds (of any type) and nuts are very unhealthy and should only be given as treats. If she was eating a lot of seeds it is likely that she is calcium deficient.
    Of course, heat is always a possibility with a female but in her case, the diet needs some work right away.

Here is the link for the healthy diet.
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels

4. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

lennysmom (08-11-2017), Mel1959 (08-12-2017), Shewhosweptforest (08-12-2017), UDoWhat (08-12-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    Hi Sandy
    What type of rodent block was she eating? I'm afraid the diet is a problem. Fruit should be given as a treat only and not as a large part of the diet. Seeds (of any type) and nuts are very unhealthy and should only be given as treats. If she was eating a lot of seeds it is likely that she is calcium deficient.
    Of course, heat is always a possibility with a female but in her case, the diet needs some work right away.

Vita prima subscription blocks. She used to eat them three times a day. I only gave her no more than two lil pieces of fruit just in the am. She only got nuts once or twice a month. She did get pumpkin seeds almost daily but just once per day. N on the label it says calcium 8%.N she's always been very picky w veggies. But she loved her yammy. Once at dinner. Two small pieces. The change in her "taste" for foods just changed about a week or two ago. She's still very energetic, in fact more energetic than ever. Her fur is beautiful. I did notice in the past few days her tail is thinning it the tip but I thought it was just changing for the winter coming up. I read the site u suggested. It seems I've done pretty much everything it has advised. I already gave her fruits this am which she didn't eat so I will take them away just give the blocks now. I did give her two almonds BC it has 8% calcium n thought that's a start. She ate those w no problems. Like I said BC she was alil over weight I limited her nuts to once or twice a month.Y all of sudden would she stop eating her favorite foods n blocks? Thank u so much for responding to my post. It means alot but I will admit I'm confused BC I've pretty much followed the diet guidelines.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SandyC from:

Quote Originally Posted by SandyC View Post
    Vita prima subscription blocks. She used to eat them three times a day. I only gave her no more than two lil pieces of fruit just in the am. She only got nuts once or twice a month. She did get pumpkin seeds almost daily but just once per day. N on the label it says calcium 8%.N she's always been very picky w veggies. But she loved her yammy. Once at dinner. Two small pieces. The change in her "taste" for foods just changed about a week or two ago. She's still very energetic, in fact more energetic than ever. Her fur is beautiful. I did notice in the past few days her tail is thinning it the tip but I thought it was just changing for the winter coming up. I read the site u suggested. It seems I've done pretty much everything it has advised. I already gave her fruits this am which she didn't eat so I will take them away just give the blocks now. I did give her two almonds BC it has 8% calcium n thought that's a start. She ate those w no problems. Like I said BC she was alil over weight I limited her nuts to once or twice a month.Y all of sudden would she stop eating her favorite foods n blocks? Thank u so much for responding to my post. It means alot but I will admit I'm confused BC I've pretty much followed the diet guidelines.
    I forgot to mention that I gave her a piece of corn Cobb, no corn ears on it, for something to chew on.

Quote Originally Posted by SandyC View Post
    I have never heard if Vita prima subscription blocks. Can you tell me about them? Sounds like you have done a lot of work yourself on learning about diet. Good for you!

Squirrels do wax and wane on eating, and the first thing to go is eating block.
    Please start the MBD protocol. It won't hurt and it could be vital.

I am looking up the food vita prima sunscription block to see what it is made of. Are u using the Rat, mouse, and gerbil formula or Critter Cubes Formulated diet.

We are in the process of trying to figure out where your girls diet is . It sounds better than first thought if you are feeding the block. Remember block needs to be 80% of her diet. If you have been feeding Rat, Mouse, and Gerbil Formula (seed mix) then you MUST start MBD treatment without delay, also many people 'feed' block but their squirrels don't eat enough of the block, but instead eat the other goodies, which is not a proper diet to prevent MBD. That is why we are suggesting to start the treatment
    Until we have more info on what is going on. One symptom of MBD is lack of appetite.

Let us know how she is doing!

Trysh
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    I have never heard if Vita prima subscription blocks. Can you tell me about them? Sounds like you have done a lot of work yourself on learning about diet. Good for you!

I am looking up the food vita prima sunscription block to see what it is made of. Are u using the Rat, mouse, and gerbil formula or Critter Cubes Formulated diet.

We are in the process of trying to figure out where your girls diet is . It sounds better than first thought if you are feeding the block. Remember block needs to be 80% of her diet. If you have been feeding Rat, Mouse, and Gerbil Formula (seed mix) then you MUST start MBD treatment without delay, also many people 'feed' block but their squirrels don't eat enough of the block, but instead eat the other goodies, which is not a proper diet to prevent MBD. That is why we are suggesting to start the treatment
    Until we have more info on what is going on. One symptom of MBD is lack of appetite.

Trysh
    Critter cubes. I just crushed two of them up n mixed them into some peanut butter. She ate some of it n of course went back to playing. It's like she's too busy. Just wants to play play play. She's not pacing she's playing w me or her tons of toys. She has been very interested in what's going on outside the past two days. Looks out window n runs to the next. It's a sunroom so she has lots of them. I do know that the windows do not allow the proper sunlight in which contains the d she needs so I'm almost certain she's at risk now for deficiency since she's not eating her blocks. The blocks r definitely not at 80% of her diet. N yes I did my research n even emailed back n forth w a rehabber from California. I wanted to be prepared for taking on such a different wild animal. Thank u for the compliment BTW. It helps BC I feel horrible now that I've been a bad momma. I have tums. How many should I syringe feed her?

Sorry we are cross posting. Hrt4SQRLS is right on. Give us sometime like I said so we can figure things out and be in real time with each other.

My six year old grey used to do what it sounds like your girl is doing. She would go off her food and have super high energy. Although she would spend part of her day going from one window to another. It seems that in late summer there is a migration of squirrels from the area and I always thought my girl could feel the urge for movement also. This would last for a few weeks and I would frantically try and figure out how to get her to eat quality food during that time. It would happen each year at the same time of year for several weeks.

I like what you did with crushing up your block and mixing it with a nut butter. Way to go!
    redwuff
    State Licensed

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

Sorry we are cross posting. Hrt4SQRLS is right on. Give us sometime like I said so we can figure things out and be in real time with each other.

My six year old grey used to do what it sounds like your girl is doing. She would go off her food and have super high energy. Although she would spend part of her day going from one window to another. It seems that in late summer there is a migration of squirrels from the area and I always thought my girl could feel the urge for movement also. This would last for a few weeks and I would frantically try and figure out how to get her to eat quality food during that time. It would happen each year at the same time of year for several weeks.

I like what you did with crushing up your block and mixing it with a nut butter. Way to go!
    U have no idea how good that makes me feel that ur baby has done this. I actually said to her, when I thought she was in heat, u smelling them boys out there?
    Did things go back normal once the migration slowed down? I'm still very concerned for her diet since u guys have replied so thank u very much for opening my eyes even more on the intricate diet r babies must have. Thanks again!!

Henry's blocks just got here n nyka is gobbling them up!!! Im so happy I could pass out!! I was so worried BC she wasn't eating much n her tail was thinning n her coat just didn't feel as silky. I can't thank all of u enough for all ur help!!!
    So, does she just eat these from now on? Breakfast, lunch, dinner? N an almond or piece of fruit here n there, not on daily basis. The blocks have all she needs for proper nutrition right?

Trysh
    How much is enough or too much of the tums? I have syringes from when I had her formula as a baby.

Trysh
    She's eating critter cubes. Well she was. Idk how much tums to give her. Each one is 750 mgs. I reposted about her day today n his she barely ate the dinner n that I then offered her the only two things left she's eating n now I here her eating!! Yay!!! I just don't want her to loose too much weight while we figure out how to get her back on track. Luckily she's a lil chunker so that helps. I ordered the Henry's picky pet blocks a few ago so just waiting foe them to get here. I hope she eats them!! I'm so upset w this whole thing. She means the world to me. I don't have children. She is my child, my baby bum bum as I call her. Well now my phone is dying so I'll let u go. I think I've bothered u enough today, all of u. I can't ty enough. Im forever in ur debt as I think I've said before to someone else or probably u. At this point I'm losing my mind BC of all the tears worrying odd ocd rituals praying etc. Look forward to hearing from u tomoro or later tonite as I'm sure I won't sleep again. Thanks again!!

Hi sandy, don't know how to add a link, but you can put Emergency treatment of Metabolic bone disease in the search box in upper right of page and it will pop up.
    redwuff
    State Licensed

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

UDoWhat (09-18-2017)

Trysh
    I started her mbd tx today. I mixed up two blocks n one tums w nut butter. Well c. Fingers crossed she eats it!! I'm so scared n worried about her. Her tail is thinning n that makes me nervous. Even when she was eating well n being her crazy self I always worried. Now my anxiety is thru the roof. Thanks again for helping me!!
    Hopefully the Henry's picky blocks will get here soon. She better est them BC Idk what else to do. I've tried everything!! I just don't understand y she was fine one day the very next day she stopped eating her favs. It was like a switch went off. Not gradual at all. Just bam! Not eating but still crazy n full of energy. Thanks again!! It means more than u'll ever know!!

20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SandyC from:

redwuff (08-14-2017)

Here's the link to the MBD protocol.
    Follow this, and you can't go wrong.
    Remember with the tums, what you are looking for is the elemental calcium.
    Let me look for a thread that may help you with the tums.

EDIT:
    I hope no one minds I went ahead and did a short piece on how to decipher how much elemental calcium is in any supplement, including the new Tums, which are no longer very clearly labeled IMO. (I spoke with yet another person today--TSB member--who's been dosing her MBD sq based on the assumption that TUMS EXTRA 750 contains 750 mg CA per tablet. Sq has only been getting around 200 mg/day. Luckily, sq is doing well.) Anyhow, hope someone finds this useful.

Attachment 249610

Attachment 249611

Attachment 249612

MBD Protocol:
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-MBD-Treatment

22. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

redwuff (08-14-2017)

Trysh
    Successfully syringed half her tums solution. Other half this afternoon. Yay!!

24. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SandyC from:

redwuff (08-14-2017)

Hi Sandy

Since avocado is OK to give her can I give her that in the am n at night before bed? N the white sweet corn? She's not really eating the fruits now anyway so I'll just eliminate them. Since her energy level is still very high should I hold off on the tums n c if she eats her blocks again since it's going to be the only option she has in the am? N what about vit d? I saw that mushrooms r high in d. Is it just regular mushrooms? Sorry I keep replying. I just keep thinking things after I've posted my repies lol. Thanks again for the input!!

26. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SandyC from:

Hi Sandy

I just tried to order Henry's picky blocks n of course there's a problem. It's saying my email is incorrect. It's my email. Idk what else to do. I've never had any problems w my email before.

Portabellas are excellent. My flyers get mushrooms everyday.

I have to agree with the others .... Nyka is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

29. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

Portabellas are excellent. My flyers get mushrooms everyday.

I have to agree with the others .... Nyka is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!
    Awww. U guys r too kind!! I'm trying my best to keep her beautiful healthy n happy. I just ordered the Henry's picky blocks. I did notice the tip of her tail is loosing some hair. This happened when she got her winter coat so I figured it was normal. Even her tummy lost most of it's fur near her back legs during the end of winter closer to spring n grew back in beautifully white as can be n nice n silky. Not fluffy like her winter coat. Sorry got alil off track. So, is this normal w her tail or is it early signs of vit d or calcium deficiency?

31. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SandyC from:

Oh my goodness she is beeeutiful welcome to you both please don't beat yourself up...my Baby was a year and a half old when I came here...and her diet was far worse than Nyka's when I got my picky eater blocks I just did tough love and only offered her the block...by the end of the first day she was eating them

You can really tell that she is well loved and cared for

My squirrels also go through periods when they slow down on their eating...and I have females...and they do drag their bottoms sometimes...I've even seen my releases do that I have always assumed they are marking their territory I wouldn't worry I think she's going to love the blocks and she'll be fine
    Make the world a better place...one animal at a time

The Peace of Wild Things
    BY WENDELL BERRY
    When despair for the world grows in me
    and I wake in the night at the least sound
    in fear of what my life and my children’s lives may be,
    I go and lie down where the wood drake
    rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
    I come into the peace of wild things
    who do not tax their lives with forethought
    of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
    And I feel above me the day-blind stars
    waiting with their light. For a time
    I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast