Thread: Hello All!

Hybrid View

Default Hello All!

Hello All! I'm Ashley's dad. Ashley is a 2 year old Eastern Gray. I've looked at this board for info in the past as Ashley was growing up but I recently joined because Ashley has developed some hair loss problems on her toes and belly and I might need help. Based on what I have read, I suspect it is a fungus issue or a lack of sunlight (she's a house squirrel). I'm going to try some Tinactin on the left side and some coconut oil on the right. I will also start using an appropriate light to make up for the lack of sunlight. I will post a picture when I can get some assistance. Hopefully one of the above will produce results and I can tell which one it is and continue with it. I look forward to enjoying all this board has to offer.

2. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Centerline:

redwuff (08-12-2017), UDoWhat (08-12-2017)

Default Re: Hello All!

Hi Centerline
    to TheSquirrelBoard

Yes, pics would be helpful. Have you seen Ashley overgrooming her toes or belly? When hair loss is confined to areas that they can reach I suspect overgrooming. If that's the case, the cause needs to be determined.

Hair loss can also be nutritional. What is Ashley's diet? You seem to have an awareness of the need for Vitamin D from a light source so you probably also know about the calcium requirements but we always like to inquire about the diet.

Welcome again. We would love to see pics of your girl.

4. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

redwuff (08-12-2017), stepnstone (08-12-2017), UDoWhat (08-12-2017)

Thanks for the welcome. I think Ashley might be a slob. I see her wash her face and that's about it. All the other squirrels I see have nice white hair on their bellies. Ashley has dirty hair on her belly. I can't see what she does when she's in her house but I think over-grooming is probably not an issue for Ashley.

I believe Ashley's diet is good. She has (2) Henry's Healthy Blocks per day. She has foods per the Henry's Healthy Diet Triangle available during the day. Ashley never has turned away Esbilac. I'm a softy so when she was supposed to be weeing, I still offered her Esbilac and she was always happy to have it. So Ashley's evening begins with 4 to 8mL's of Esbilac. Then she gets 3-4 nuts. Almonds, hickory nuts, and pecans. She always eats one and hides the others. Sometimes she will eat two nuts. I have also added fresh coconut to her diet since the hair loss started.

I was able to get a picture. I need to learn how to post it and then you can see. I'm a bit of a techno idiot. Thanks again.

Attempting to show picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

7. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Centerline:

redwuff (08-13-2017), UDoWhat (08-12-2017)

Her belly is a clean as it can be. She just has a beige and grayish belly. I have a 2 year old that started to lose the fur on his belly in those same places. At first I thought it had to do with his portly size. The area looked red so I decided to treat with a dose of Ivermectin. When it came time for the second dose 2 weeks later his belly was so much better. I treated with the second dose and we have fur covering the spots where he had started to lose that fur.

Is Ashley itching? My boy was itching a bit. That is why I gave the Ivermectin.

9. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to UDoWhat:

Centerline (08-12-2017), Diggie's Friend (08-16-2017), redwuff (08-13-2017), stepnstone (08-16-2017)

Ashley scratches from time to time but not her hair loss areas. The hair loss areas don't seem to bother her. Thanks for the info.

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Centerline from:

redwuff (08-12-2017)