Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eyes opened too soon??

bird Guest

Default Eyes opened too soon??

Name:  hoobert.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  62.8 KB

Hubert here just started getting fur. Hes gotta be around two or three weeks old. Which is very soon in my opinion for eyes to be open. From what I've seen the eyes usually will open at around five weeks or so. So my question here is: What does that mean for Hubert's eyes? Will he be blind? Eyes are clean and clear, appearing healthy. Even when his eyes were closed he was EXTREMELY active. Not sure if maybe because he is more "wild" his eyes opened sooner than what I'm use to. I've read that hand reared squirrels tend to open their eyes later than parent reared squirrels. Any comments or advice is appreciated! Thanks so much!

Default Re: Eyes opened too soon??

Hubert does look little and young for eyes open (yes, they will typically open around 5 weeks old).

How much does Hubert weigh?

Eyes opening early usually is related to something like trauma, stress and often because of diet. We find that 90% of issues we see are related to diet and some simple changes can turn things around.

Please tell about how long ago Hubert was found and under what circumstances, what he has been being fed along with how much and how often and I am sure we'll be able to solve this riddle together!

Hubert sure is a cutie!

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

UDoWhat (08-13-2017)

bird Guest

Hes such a cutie. Thanks for the reply. We have had Hubert for about two weeks now. He did have a cold last week and one of his eyes slowly opened and became fully opened yesterday. Today the other one was open completely. He was getting fed every hour then became every 1 and a half and now hes getting fed pretty much every two hours. He has been receiving warmed puppy formula from the can. The Esbilac brand. I am co parenting him. I have a friend who found him she is his primary care giver, but when she is at work I take him and right now she is gone for the next four days so he has been with me. She has been weighing him so I'll have to get back to you on his weight.

bird Guest

I forgot to mention how hubert was found! He really is such a fighter. So he was found about two weeks ago after a very bad storm. My friends parents found him, assumed he was dead. They put him in a plastic bag and in the trash. They told my friend about it when she returned home and she immediately went to go investigate. Found he was still alive and took him to this exotic pet store to talk to them to see if they would help him. She ended up caring for him and he became constipated for two days so we put the smallest amount of coconut oil in some of his feedings. He then started pooping everything out! He had made a pretty bad mess of himself at one point so I washed only his lower half in warm water and IMMEDIATELY dried him and got him back on the heating pad. She said as soon as she got home he was sneezing and wheezing so she took him to this pet store AGAIN and they told her how horrible I was for bathing him and to not wash him or get any water on him. So my friend didnt wash him AT ALL. So now that he in my care the the next few days. I have been cleaning off caked formula and poop off of his body. His skin is raw and irritated from the waste sitting on him. I clean with warm q tips. Try to be as gentle as I can and dry and than I spray the irritated area with Vetericyn. I have been doing only parts of his body at a time because its EXTREMELY uncomfortable for him.

bird Guest

these are his recent weights
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Ugh! Washing him in warm water was the right thing to do. We often recommend warm water soaks up to their armpits and massages to help get poop moving in constipated ones. Of course, the water temp needs to be "gold" as in Goldilocks... not too hot, not too cold. And drying him well and keeping him warm until completely dry is necessary. Not water in ears or eyes (avoid the head all together when bathing). Having said that, normally squirrels should not need a bath.

Please share with us his diet, what he has been getting fed, how much and how often?

8. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Elise (10-10-2017), Nancy in New York (08-11-2017), redwuff (08-11-2017), UDoWhat (08-13-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by bird View Post
    . He was getting fed every hour then became every 1 and a half and now hes getting fed pretty much every two hours. He has been receiving warmed puppy formula from the can. The Esbilac brand..

This is the wrong formula, sorry. This most likely is the problem with his poops.
    You will need to get the Powdered Puppy Esbilac.

Last edited by Nancy in New York; 08-11-2017 at 04:41 PM.

10. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

Elise (10-10-2017), lennysmom (08-11-2017), Mel1959 (08-11-2017), Spanky (08-11-2017), UDoWhat (08-11-2017)

I'm moving your thread to the emergency section, to get more eyes on it.

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

redwuff (08-11-2017), UDoWhat (08-11-2017)

He might be older than his weight suggests. If he was malnourished, he might look younger and be undersized but perhaps he really is close to 5-6 weeks old? Cute little guy, he should catch up with proper formula and care!
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

14. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

redwuff (08-12-2017), Rhapsody (08-14-2017), UDoWhat (08-11-2017)

bird Guest

He literally just started growing hair on his body.

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to bird from:

UDoWhat (08-13-2017)

bird Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post

This is the wrong formula, sorry. This his problem with his poops.
    You will need to get the Powdered Puppy Esbilac.

I have personally always used the powder but like I said I'm co parenting and my friend wanted to use the canned for the convenience. But too bad for her then. I'm going to get the correct formula right now. THANK YOU SO MUCH <3<3 I never knew there was a difference personally. I always just got the big ol thing because its cheaper and they consume so much.

18. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to bird:

Mel1959 (08-11-2017), Nancy in New York (08-11-2017), redwuff (08-12-2017)

It is terrible that they sell the powdered and liquid versions under the same brand name despite that they are very different. A lot of folks get "tricked" and buy the liquid for convenience.

There will be a huge improvement once the formula is changed.

Feeding every 2 hours seems too often for this guy.. I am thinking every 3 hours, but he needs to be fed around the click for a while (longer).

How much has he been eating every 2 hours?

20. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

redwuff (08-12-2017), UDoWhat (08-11-2017)

bird Guest

Yeah thats pretty shameful, but thats the world we live in. He eat about 1.5-2ML every two hours and I usually stimulate before and after feeding. Usually I get two poops as well, but they are yellowish soft serve. I'm excited to see some healthier poops! Thank you so much for all your help,advice and knowledge so far! I'll post some pics of the Hubert next time I feed him.

22. Serious fuzzy thank you's to bird from:

UDoWhat (08-11-2017)

Here is the guideline for feeding amounts... I would stretch out to every 3 hours (around the clock for now)....

24. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

LanSeaAir (10-12-2017), redwuff (08-12-2017), UDoWhat (08-11-2017)

Hi and for helping this baby. I am hoping you will be able to convince your friend that we know what we are talking about. Baby squirrels are hard to raise and you (meaning all of us) have to be willing to listen and take direction from experienced people who know what we are doing. People at the pet store have no clue what to feed squirrels. Your instinct to wash and clean your sweet baby is spot on. Baby squirrels are like human babies. Would you not wash the scalding poo and food off of a human baby? Of course you would. I would put some topical antibiotic ointment on the food and poo scald. The scald stings and burns this little one just like it would a human. Your friend needs to realize this baby will die if he is not cared for better. His fur development is suffering due to poor nutrition. Looking at him I see a baby that is sad and malnourished. 🙁

I am in no way shaming you. You are this babies hope. We can turn this little one around with your help. You will need to get him on a better schedule and the correct formula. What are you feeding him with? He should be fed with a 1cc/ml syringe and a nipple. We can show you where to order the correct feeding supplies.

The site below sells many wonderful supplies. The owner is a member of this board.
    Please check it out www.henryshealthypets.com

Thank you for loving this this sweet boy. He desperately needs your help.

26. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to UDoWhat:

redwuff (08-12-2017), stepnstone (10-10-2017)

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your effort in searching out help for this little buddy

Please update about this desperate little baby.

Please know that there is no wiggle room in the care and feeding of poor Hubert. But if you can get him on the correct formula as mentioned before, he may survive. As an experienced rehabiltator, this baby is touch and go.

is there any chance that you would turn this baby over to an experienced squirrel rehabber? He is so nutritionally deficit that he really needs to be on a predigested diet before going on the powdered Esbilac.

If you feel that you can't turn him over to experienced hands, please allow us to help you. Like I said, there is no wiggle room....

Stop canned liquid Esbilac right away!!! He needs to be slowly transitioned to the powdered Esbilac. Make up your formula as 4 parts water and 1 part Esbilac powder. let it sit for a few hours in the fridge if you have time. He desperately needs nutrition
    so don't wait if he needs a feeding. Stay on this mix for two feedings. For the third feeding of the day go to an Esbilac mixture of 3 parts water to one part powder and feed this for a full day (24 hour cycle) feeding.

After that go to full strength powdered Esbilac (2 parts water 1 part powder).
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

28. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to redwuff:

Mel1959 (08-12-2017), UDoWhat (08-12-2017)

Is Hubert eager to eat? Are u feeding with a 1 cc syringe with a nipple? Do you warm the formula?

I do not know your level of experience so sorry if I am asking basic questions. He needs to be weighed daily and fed 5% of that weight every three to three and a half hours around the clock. Look at his tummy after you have fed him and you will see a milk line on his tummy ( you can see the milk line in the first picture you posted. Ask if you need more clarification about the milk line)

Before you feed him for the next feeding you want that line mostly gone.
    redwuff
    State Licensed

30. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to redwuff:

Mel1959 (08-12-2017), UDoWhat (08-12-2017)

bird Guest

This is Hubert and the other squirrel that was found the other day. Both are doing very good and already having solid poops! Thanks everyone for all the help.

I am glad to hear that their poops are solid. That is a big plus. I wish I could say that baby Herbert is doing well but he isn't. The other one looks somewhat better but unless you improve his care he will be right where sweet little Herbert is. I have done this for 18 years. Believe me I know what I see. I have taken in many babies that the public thought looked great and they die as they reach my door. Finders not willing to take responsibility. If you and your friend will just stick with this forum you will learn a lot.

Admitting that you need help is half the battle. Taking that help is the other half. I must tell you that even if Herbert opened his eyes early he is still about 100 to 120 grams under weight. He is slowly dying of malnutrition.

Please don't ignore our advice. I am willing to help .... we all are willing to help.

33. Serious fuzzy thank you's to UDoWhat from:

redwuff (08-13-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by bird View Post
    these are his recent weights
    7/29 - 22.12g
    8/2 - 28.6g
    8/6 - 30.4 g
    8/7 - 30.8 g
    8/8 - 31.6 g

I just want to point out that in these 10 days he gained 8.6 g. Usually squirrels this age gain 3 to 5 grams per day. He should weigh almost 3 times that amt.
    redwuff
    State Licensed

35. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

Mel1959 (08-12-2017)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.