Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Feeling desperate.... PLEASE help!

Default Re: Feeling desperate.... PLEASE help!

Quote Originally Posted by LaurenMKVarner View Post
    I bought a huge rabbit house that looks like a little cottage and a huge exotic bird cage, raised them both up high and connected them. So she had her house, play pen and then the rest of the lanai to play.

Beware if the rabbit house is made is chicken wire as that can be problematic. The chicken wire is so thin it can result in cuts and the openings are large enough that squirrels tend to want to "chew" at them which is not only bad for their teeth, but the chicken wire can cut their mouths... I suppose the chicken wire could be replaced with hardware cloth?

2. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

LaurenMKVarner (08-12-2017), Shewhosweptforest (08-12-2017), UDoWhat (08-12-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    Hi Lauren,

We just lost our 8 year old boy who totally fit that description. He was just a simple goofy guy and when he was released as a young squirrel he just did not get that he needed to sleep in the trees not on the ground. He was brought in and held for awhile to hopefully mature, but when he was released again, he did the same thing again....slept on the ground. That's when he came in for good. He never bit anyone and everyone was his friend. He was a magnificent squirrel and we miss him so much. He had a good life and was always happy.

I hope you have the same with your girl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shewhosweptforest View Post
    I'm not familiar with lanai is this like an enclosed porch....screened in? If your temps are mild year round....then I think that would do great. Even cold temps aren't bad when they acclimate with the changes I have a large Florida room...completely enclosed but tons of windows...that my squirrels rule when I had Poppy...I bought lots of small thick cotton rugs...you can get them fairly cheap at discount stores...Ross's, Marshalls....I also bought several memory foam dog beds from the same stores. I placed these strategically around places she jumped and climbed for falls. I'm hoping your Lily will regain her legs...but it wouldn't hurt to have the extra padding...since she's special another nice thing, is I could pick them up when she was up...made it easier for cleaning...and the rugs were easy to wash I also found that a carpeted cat tree was very easy for her to navigate with her disability...I hate even using that word because she never seemed disabled
    The lanai is a large half covered half screened area. The covered are is where the house and cage are and we have tables and chairs, rugs, a TV, refrigerator, like an indoor/outdoor area. The other half is screened with the hot tub (covered of course.) so she has shelter and play. I really like how you described your set up. I'm thinking I may convert a room in the house for when I'm not home and then let her play on the lanai when I can watch her.
    So far, she won't eat the avocado... turned her nose up at her favorite fruit (tangerines) and she hated the yogurt I force fed her.... she is pooping and urinating so that's good. Maybe today she's just extra moody? She just wants to be in her little snuggle sack. I'm doing the calcium replacement throughout the day. She's so mad at me.... teeth chattering so I just said ok I'll leave you be for a bit....

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to LaurenMKVarner from:

Shewhosweptforest (08-12-2017)

Thumbs up Re: Feeling desperate.... PLEASE help!

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post

Beware if the rabbit house is made is chicken wire as that can be problematic. The chicken wire is so thin it can result in cuts and the openings are large enough that squirrels tend to want to "chew" at them which is not only bad for their teeth, but the chicken wire can cut their mouths... I suppose the chicken wire could be replaced with hardware cloth?
    I swear I'm learning so much!!! She's never bothered with it before but now at least I know! I may remove it all together. There isn't much wire, more wood. But the windows are wire which I can just remove and replace. Thank you!!!

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to LaurenMKVarner:

Shewhosweptforest (08-12-2017), stepnstone (08-12-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by LaurenMKVarner View Post
    I was talking to my husband last night about how Lilly will most likely spend the rest of her life with us and how we will need to make some changes. Ive read how people make rooms for them but I'm concerned about my baseboards, antique furniture(I love old stuff &#128513 and her happiness.
    As do I and so do squirrels!! I don't have one piece of Antique furniture that hasn't been "marked."
    I have replaced many a key board, a computer, and had to wrap (squirrel proof) all exposed wiring. I've patched a lot of drywall and keep a 5 gal bucket of drywall mud on hand. I've replaced baseboards and chair rails. Two cell phones bit the dust. Patched stripped wall paper. And my once prestige antique book collection now looks like I got them out of a dumpster. I own very little if anything that hasn't been "marked."
    It's not much consultation but at least she keeps her teeth filed down...

Name:  BiteMarks.JPG
Views: 41
Size:  29.6 KBName:  AugAnnie 4.RSJPG.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  18.3 KBName:  phpbAen0KAM.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  26.1 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images        
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

8. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Nancy in New York (08-12-2017), Shewhosweptforest (08-12-2017), TubeDriver (08-12-2017)

Name:  phpHJ5FvmPM.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  19.4 KBName:  phpL8onNEPM.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  26.8 KB
    Name:  WakeUp.JPG
Views: 36
Size:  14.5 KB

And yes! My girl even chewed up my dentures and had me running around like a gummy bear for two weeks until I could get them replaced!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

10. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

LaurenMKVarner (08-12-2017), redwuff (08-12-2017), Shewhosweptforest (08-12-2017), TubeDriver (08-12-2017)

Ok.... Step, what are you trying to say???

Marty

12. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to UDoWhat:

redwuff (08-12-2017), Shewhosweptforest (08-12-2017), stepnstone (08-12-2017)

Oh my goodness Step...Annie has redecorating down to a science you crack me up!
    Make the world a better place...one animal at a time

The Peace of Wild Things
    BY WENDELL BERRY
    When despair for the world grows in me
    and I wake in the night at the least sound
    in fear of what my life and my children’s lives may be,
    I go and lie down where the wood drake
    rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
    I come into the peace of wild things
    who do not tax their lives with forethought
    of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
    And I feel above me the day-blind stars
    waiting with their light. For a time
    I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

14. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Shewhosweptforest:

redwuff (08-12-2017), stepnstone (08-12-2017), UDoWhat (08-12-2017)

Yes! As you can see....having a separate room is a good idea my squirrel room doesn't have any electrical devices in it..well, except for an unplugged tv and vcr....that will always remain unplugged because the plug was chewed off years ago I would take it somewhere...but no one wants tv's not even our dump and they were always unplugged when operable

Also, when I'm not at home all my squirrels are caged. It's just too dangerous to leave them loose. Now if I'm at home I may have Baby running in the squirrel room...but there are French doors I can see and hear if there is any trouble. They can snag their nail on something...who knows I just don't take the chance. They don't mind either....squirrels nap a lot

The lanai sounds like a perfect place for a squirrel playground I do like your idea of another room tho....just because Lily could possibly chew through the screen, if not watched continuously. Some people replace their screen porches with hardware cloth....but, if you're out there with her you won't have to! I would only do that if they were left out there alone running free

The Peace of Wild Things
    BY WENDELL BERRY

16. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Shewhosweptforest:

LaurenMKVarner (08-12-2017), redwuff (08-12-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by UDoWhat View Post
    Ok.... Step, what are you trying to say???
    Marty
    How about....
    I'm just a humbled servant... and I my baby girl.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

18. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

redwuff (08-12-2017), Shewhosweptforest (08-12-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    Name:  phpHJ5FvmPM.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  19.4 KBName:  phpL8onNEPM.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  26.8 KB
    Name:  WakeUp.JPG
Views: 36
Size:  14.5 KB

And yes! My girl even chewed up my dentures and had me running around like a gummy bear for two weeks until I could get them replaced!
    Oh my goodness I got such a kick out of this!!! Lol!!! Your baby is adorable! I can relate to the destruction! I need to figure out how the heck to post pictures on here! I've already had 1 wicker patio set demolished and before the release she started working on my Adirondack chairs!!!
    Ok, so spare room it is! With playtime outside on the lanai. I'll start thinking of ways to squirrel proof the room!

I was just feeding her and giving her the medicine, I put her on my bed and I can see where she is trying so hard to use her back legs. Fingers crossed!!!

20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to LaurenMKVarner from:

Shewhosweptforest (08-12-2017)

Everything crossed here come on Lily

The Peace of Wild Things
    BY WENDELL BERRY

22. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Shewhosweptforest from:

LaurenMKVarner (08-12-2017)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12