Thread: Still Seizing

Default Still Seizing

Snickers had another bad seizure last night; after I was beginning to think the almond supplemented foods and keppra were finally helping ( made it a week). She also apparently fell , about 6 feet , but doesn't seem any worse outwardly ( like poor May..) I'm currently "empirically??" Treating her with keppra ( 5 mg/kg); but this was a skeptical dosage recommendation from our local exotic DVM at our State College of Vet Med.. he himself had never treated a squirrel with seizures. I sent Dr. Emerson an e mail several days ago; but I'm sure she's been covered up with surgeries and such; totally understand the delay. But I'm just at a loss of what else to try. She has been on a complete treat ( nut) fast except for almonds, but she barely eats them ( maybe 2 a day ?) . Any other suggestions ? Had anyone ever used keppra? Phenobarbital? Or is there a better way I can give magnesium... do her blood levels need to be checked first? I'm terrified to sedate her , but if bloodwork is absolutely needed I could try to gas her down :/ but really, really rather not do this- it would stress her too much I'm afraid,

Marie

Default Re: Still Seizing

https://www.amazon.com/Frontier-Magn.../dp/B000UYC3MY

Magnesium Citrate has been used in a diet for an E. Gray squirrel with Calcium Citrate in close ratio for over five years.

To add this source to your present diet protocol, begin by adding 1/32 Tsp. of the Magnesium Citrate daily to the diet, waiting two days to see if the stool has softened up to noodle form. If not then add in 1/64 Tsp. in addtion to this amount, and again wait two more days to see if the stool softened up to noodle form, and continue with adding the same measure waiting two days till it does.

After the change in form of the stool occurs, lower the total measure by 1/64 Tsp. waiting two days to see if the stool firms up to pellet form. If not, then lower it again by 1/64 Tsp. measure total, and again wait two days to see if it does. Once it does then magnesium bowel tolerance will have been achieved in your diet.

You may also want to include a tiny measure of unfiltered 100 % Maple syrup, as this source has been found to have anti-seisure properties.

A measure of 1/4 Tsp. of organic plain yogurt (Stonyfield - creamy) plus one syringe needle droplet of unfiltered 100 % Organic Maple syrup, can help to support keeping the blood sugar from dropping too low.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

Snicker Bar (08-11-2017)

Default Re: Still Seizing

Ok, will add this too her plan ; many thanks for the directions . I can't prevent her from climbing and doing the things she loves, but hopefully by tomorrow , prevent a hard landing . Doodles already has trapeze nets all around the perimeter of their play room. I just need to add a few more, under Snicker's favorite perches. I may eventually just schedule a trip to Fla. if things get any worse.