Thread: HELP PLEASE!!!!! 5 week old clicking

Default HELP PLEASE!!!!! 5 week old clicking

i need help, my baby is about 5 weeks old and he's clicking. i have Baytril, 136mg tabs. obviusly thats huge. he weighs about 102g. which means he's lost like 2g. please help, i can't get ahold of any wildlife places and i don't know what to do!!!!!!!

Default Re: HELP PLEASE!!!!! 5 week old clicking

Help is on the way shortly.
    Henry's Healthy Pets
    Henry's Healthy Blocks, Fox Valley Formula, Fleecies Cage Gear and more

The animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren; they are not underlings; they are other nations… ~Henry Beston, The Outermost House, 1928

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to 4skwerlz from:

Spanky (08-08-2017)

Will send dosing info by PM in a minute or two.

Quote Originally Posted by emili View Post
    i need help, my baby is about 5 weeks old and he's clicking. i have Baytril, 136mg tabs. obviusly thats huge. he weighs about 102g. which means he's lost like 2g. please help, i can't get ahold of any wildlife places and i don't know what to do!!!!!!!
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

Mel1959 (08-08-2017)

Dosing sent!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

7. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

lennysmom (08-08-2017), Mel1959 (08-08-2017), Nancy in New York (08-08-2017), Spanky (08-08-2017)

This member has gone off line. I emailed them to please come
    back on to get the dosing for the Baytril.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

lennysmom (08-08-2017)

Hi everyone, thanks so much!!!

TubeDriver and I have been in touch and I'm THRILLED to report that both my little loves are FINE. No clicking at all, eating well and when not sleeping, they're fairly active. We weighed them this AM and Courage the Cowardly Lentil (the one that was def sick) is about 102g and Moldy is about 112g (he had begun a SLIGHT click that sounded just like Courage's early clicks- so we dosed him too). They're eating about 6cc of formula per feeding and we feed them probably about 5 times through the day with occasional water in between. I mixed a little plain greek yogurt with some organic, no sugar applejuice and Moldy took a little of that.

Questions:
    How much yogurt should i be giving and how often?
    Do their weights seem appropriate? They're roughly in their 5th week of life.
    At this point they can have snacks, yes? so... avocado? apple? whats best?

Thanks again!!!!
    Emili

Questions:
    How much yogurt should i be giving and how often?
    Do their weights seem appropriate? They're roughly in their 5th week of life.
    At this point they can have snacks, yes? so... avocado? apple? whats best?

Thanks again!!!!
    Emili
    Are you asking about yogurt as a substitute for probiotics while on antibiotics?

The very first thing they should get for solids foods is a good quality rodent block. You'll not want to feed them anything else until they are eating their block very well. If you do not do this, it will make things much tougher down the road!

Most of us prefer Henry's Healthy Block (HHB):
    https://www.henryspets.com/squirrel-diet/

Five week si a little young for them to be eating much of anything, but that is when I starting putting a piece of HHB in with them... they will initially simply chew it up. After a while they will start eating it...

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

emili (08-10-2017), TubeDriver (08-10-2017)

Hi Spanky,

I've read tons of forums and sites saying to do yogurt while on antibiotics. Is that not ok?? I have probiotics in powder form for my son, is that what i'd use?

ok, hold off on the snacks. It's so hard to know which advice to follow. I'd read that when they open their eyes, you start them on snacks.

I appreciate your input and the link!

Thanks,
    Emili, Moldy and Courage, the Cowardly Lentil

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Are you asking about yogurt as a substitute for probiotics while on antibiotics?

The very first thing they should get for solids foods is a good quality rodent block. You'll not want to feed them anything else until they are eating their block very well. If you do not do this, it will make things much tougher down the road!

Most of us prefer Henry's Healthy Block (HHB):
    https://www.henryspets.com/squirrel-diet/

Five week si a little young for them to be eating much of anything, but that is when I starting putting a piece of HHB in with them... they will initially simply chew it up. After a while they will start eating it...

Hi Spanky,

I've read tons of forums and sites saying to do yogurt while on antibiotics. Is that not ok?? I have probiotics in powder form for my son, is that what i'd use?

ok, hold off on the snacks. It's so hard to know which advice to follow. I'd read that when they open their eyes, you start them on snacks.

Thanks,

I know you addressed this to Spanky, but he's not on at the moment.
    When on antibiotics we always suggest to give probiotics even though the
    Powdered Esbilac and yogurt have them. These need to be given 2 hours prior or
    after dosing the antibiotics.
    Powder form is what we suggest. I personally use the ones from CVS and pull them apart
    and give ~ this amount 0 (the size of the zero)

Also we never suggest snacks. Basically when they are MUCH older we suggest a nut or 2 daily.
    I agree with Spanky with offering the HHB's when he is about 6-7 weeks old.
    Formula should be their #1 food source, and let them have it for as long as they like.
    We never wean babies off of formula.

If you look at other sites, you are probably reading material that was suggested years ago.
    There is SO much BAD information pertaining to squirrels. Some of our less active members also
    have their own links/sites suggesting things that TSB would NEVER suggest.
    The beauty of TSB is that we are not static we are an active board. With real time help.
    We have members from all over the country, and we learn something new here all the time,
    from everyone's experiences.
    Welcome to the board!
    Last edited by Nancy in New York; 08-10-2017 at 05:35 PM.

15. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

Eejay (08-10-2017), emili (08-11-2017), Spanky (08-10-2017)

Since the Baytril was started (based on some clicking) I would absolutely continue medicating as discussed for at least 5 days. Baytril often starts working very fast (24-48 hours) but if the antibioticis are not continued for a full course, the illness could return and become more difficult to treat.

-Grateful Dead

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

emili (08-11-2017)

Hi Spanky,

Thanks,

If you follow the advice of Nancy and TubeDriver (versus the "internet at large") and I PROMISE you will not go wrong and do only "right" by your little one!!!!

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Nancy in New York (08-28-2017)

Yea, i'm still giving it to them. I started them on Tuesday night and they're doing very well.
    I figured I'd give them the Baytril through Sunday and then stop. Why would I go longer?
    Is there anything i should look for, health wise before stopping or continuing?

Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post
    Since the Baytril was started (based on some clicking) I would absolutely continue medicating as discussed for at least 5 days. Baytril often starts working very fast (24-48 hours) but if the antibioticis are not continued for a full course, the illness could return and become more difficult to treat.

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to emili from:

TubeDriver (08-11-2017)

Hi Nancy, thanks so much for your reply!

So, a pinch of my son's powdered probiotics in the formula? or do i give that separately? So good to know about the snacks. I've read so much about how people give them everything from apples to nuts to "squirrel safe" people food. I ordered the HHBs, so I'll give them those soon. I have no problem keeping them on formula, but do i always feed them with the syringe or can they eventually take a bottle without aspirating? Do they self-wean at some point?

I have a question about housing... i need to get them something that gives them more room and something to climb, i think. i've been looking at ferret cages. im not dying to spend money on that, but who knows if i'll end up doing this again some day? i'd love to, actually. Anyway, how big would you suggest the cage be? is a ferret cage with levels a good choice? Anything i should look for as far as matierial type, floor "design", bar spacing? lol, as you may be able to tell, i really want to do right by these guys and learn as much as i can, so that in the future i can help with more confidance.

ANY info or suggestions you all have is so welcome and appreciated!

Thanks!
    Emili, Moldy and Courange the Cowardly Lentil

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post

I know you addressed this to Spanky, but he's not on at the moment.
    When on antibiotics we always suggest to give probiotics even though the
    Powdered Esbilac and yogurt have them. These need to be given 2 hours prior or
    after dosing the antibiotics.
    Powder form is what we suggest. I personally use the ones from CVS and pull them apart
    and give ~ this amount 0 (the size of the zero)

Also we never suggest snacks. Basically when they are MUCH older we suggest a nut or 2 daily.
    I agree with Spanky with offering the HHB's when he is about 6-7 weeks old.
    Formula should be their #1 food source, and let them have it for as long as they like.
    We never wean babies off of formula.

If you look at other sites, you are probably reading material that was suggested years ago.
    There is SO much BAD information pertaining to squirrels. Some of our less active members also
    have their own links/sites suggesting things that TSB would NEVER suggest.
    The beauty of TSB is that we are not static we are an active board. With real time help.
    We have members from all over the country, and we learn something new here all the time,
    from everyone's experiences.
    Welcome to the board!

Good. Antibiotics are just used for a course (5, 7, 10, 21 days etc.). If the course is stopped early, the bacteria can mutate and spread and might be more resisitant to treatment. So, just do the full 5 day course even if they are not currently showing any symptoms!

Yea, i'm still giving it to them. I started them on Tuesday night and they're doing very well.
    I figured I'd give them the Baytril through Sunday and then stop. Why would I go longer?
    Is there anything i should look for, health wise before stopping or continuing?

-Grateful Dead

24. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

emili (08-11-2017)

So, a pinch of my son's powdered probiotics in the formula? or do i give that separately?
    Yes, just a pinch separately and hour before or two hours after the antibiotic.

I have no problem keeping them on formula, but do i always feed them with the syringe or can they eventually take a bottle without aspirating? Do they self-wean at some point?
    Never a bottle, but when they get older (10+ weeks?) you can offer it to them is a shallow dish / saucer.

I have a question about housing... i need to get them something that gives them more room and something to climb, i think. i've been looking at ferret cages. im not dying to spend money on that, but who knows if i'll end up doing this again some day? i'd love to, actually. Anyway, how big would you suggest the cage be? is a ferret cage with levels a good choice? Anything i should look for as far as matierial type, floor "design", bar spacing?

Actually the Critter Nation cage is preferred to a Ferret Nation cage. They are both the same size, but the Critter nation cage has horizontal bars versus the vertical bars of the Ferret Nation cage... so there is another question answered: Horizontal bars are preferred to vertical bars for squirrels.

The cage considerations are many. The Critter/Ferret nation cages come with plastic pans that are placed inside the cage and you have to open the doors wide up to get them in and out for cleaning. And squirrels will chew up those plastic pans in a NY minute. You can purchase metal replacement pans from Bass Equipment.
    https://www.bassequipment.com/default.aspx

Bar spacing should be not more then 1/2" otherwise squirrels will chew the bars which can cause teeth problems.

Flight cages do well also, though they have vertical bars.

26. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Mel1959 (08-11-2017), Nancy in New York (08-12-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Yes, just a pinch separately and hour before or two hours after the antibiotic.

So, i read the ingredients and the probiotic i have has all sorts of fruits and veggies in it too... https://www.gardenoflife.com/content...ids-digestion/ I don't know if it's safe to use?

Never a bottle, but when they get older (10+ weeks?) you can offer it to them is a shallow dish / saucer.

What do you guys think about the nipples that Henry's sells to go on the syringe?

Actually the Critter Nation cage is preferred to a Ferret Nation cage. They are both the same size, but the Critter nation cage has horizontal bars versus the vertical bars of the Ferret Nation cage... so there is another question answered: Horizontal bars are preferred to vertical bars for squirrels.

The cage considerations are many. The Critter/Ferret nation cages come with plastic pans that are placed inside the cage and you have to open the doors wide up to get them in and out for cleaning. And squirrels will chew up those plastic pans in a NY minute. You can purchase metal replacement pans from Bass Equipment.
    https://www.bassequipment.com/default.aspx

Bar spacing should be not more then 1/2" otherwise squirrels will chew the bars which can cause teeth problems.

Flight cages do well also, though they have vertical bars.
    Yea, i was trying to avoid plastic... now, there are a few options on the Critter Nation cages. There's a stackable kind, there's the single story and double. They ain't cheap! can i get away with the one story? is there another brand that might cost a bit less?

Question- how much should these guys be pooping and peeing?

I really like the CN cages. You can get get a single and then add a second addition later and convert to a double.

Ideally, you should be seeing pooping and peeing at most feedings but don't worry if they skip it for a feeding.

-Grateful Dead

29. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

Spanky (08-11-2017)

Hmm... ok. I feel like they should be going more than they are. They're doing well though, otherwise. Thanks for the cage advice! Do you (or anyone) have any thoughts on the nipples etc?

Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post
    I really like the CN cages. You can get get a single and then add a second addition later and convert to a double.

Ideally, you should be seeing pooping and peeing at most feedings but don't worry if they skip it for a feeding.