Thread: 5 wk old rescue not eating

Default 5 wk old rescue not eating

My brother brought me a 4.5 -5 week old grey early, early this morning. I checked her over. She had fly eggs on her, no maggots and no wounds, nothing broken that I can tell. Doesn't seem to be in pain either. I got her warmed, bathed and got some fluids in. Got her hydrated. I weighed her, 49g when I tried some formula later this morning she took it really well even though she only ate 1.5cc. Since then I have had to coax her into eating 1cc. I have tried putting a little sugar in it, as well as water it down. I even tried to give her more fluids and that was all that she would take is the 1cc. Any suggestions? I really want her to eat.

Default Re: 5 wk old rescue not eating

Quote Originally Posted by Rice Vinegar View Post
    My brother brought me a 4.5 -5 week old grey early, early this morning. I checked her over. She had fly eggs on her, no maggots and no wounds, nothing broken that I can tell. Doesn't seem to be in pain either. I got her warmed, bathed and got some fluids in. Got her hydrated. I weighed her, 49g when I tried some formula later this morning she took it really well even though she only ate 1.5cc. Since then I have had to coax her into eating 1cc. I have tried putting a little sugar in it, as well as water it down. I even tried to give her more fluids and that was all that she would take is the 1cc. Any suggestions? I really want her to eat.

What kind of formula are you feeding? And are you offering it to her very warm?

At 49g she needs more than 1.5ml, here is a chart showing the "rule of thumb" amount of 5% - 7% of weight per feeding and gettig feed every 4 hours:

I'm using Esbilac. Making sure it is nice and warm. Plus I have been feeding her every 2hrs. The last 2 she took 1.5cc. Can't get her to take more than that. I raised 3 rescues 2 years ago, from 2 wks to release. Never had trouble getting them to eat. My brother also droped off a little male (2 different litters) and I haven't had any trouble with him. He is underweight though (52g) but seemed healthy otherwise. But he is taking the right amount for his weight as well. Just having issues with my little girl. Should I continue with the feeding every 2 hrs or so for a couple of days? I know I want to get their weight up to were it should be.

It is hard to fully hydrate a baby in a few hours. Can't tell from what you wrote what her hydration level is. Make sure you continue to hydrate between feedings. 49 g for 5 weeker is pretty tiny. Did you transition her to formula so she would not bloat or get diahrea? Also, if she is 5 wks, feeding her every two hours is too often. I don't feed a Pinkie that often.

Slow and steady wins the race, there is no hurry to get them back to proper weight. You will end up giving them diahrea, then you will have a real mess on your hands

Please send a picture so we can help you better.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

Mel1959 (08-08-2017)

Did not get any formula at all till after lunch. Then again at 3:30, fluid at 6:45 or so then formula again about 9:55. She took almost 2cc then. Would they open their eyes earlier if they were in the nest longer? I am going by the last one I had 2 years ago and they did not open their eyes till after 5 weeks. They were just 2 weeks old when I got them.

Sorry for the pic orentation. Comp it not wanting to flip them. She is small.
    Name:  IMG_0329.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  80.9 KB Name:  IMG_0328.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  86.6 KB

Good news my little girl is now eating like she is supposed to.

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rice Vinegar from:

Mel1959 (08-11-2017)