Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help! 2 week old babies , nest cut down, 1 gasping & not swallowing

Default Re: Help! 2 week old babies , nest cut down, 1 gasping & not swallowing

Update. The babies are 3 weeks old now, I am relieved to say all 5 are thriving. The little male, who was not eating well, has become a very good eater. And the "Gasping" boy, who we thought would succumb to injuries from the fall, is an eating machine, 80 grams now. The others are 65- 72 grams. Gaining weight every day . All are getting wiggly and mobile and vocal.
    Thank you for all your help.

2. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Binkers mom:

kathy291 (08-16-2017), Mel1959 (08-16-2017)

Terrific update thank you.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Binkers mom (08-16-2017)

Update. The babies were 4 weeks old this past Wednesday and all 5 are doing well. The "gasping " boy is now 130 grams!!!!! The others are all 110 - 120 grams. I transitioned them to FV ( 4 weeks and older formula) over the last 3 days and all did great. They all have their own eating and potting style. And all love getting massages after they eat.
    I have to say.....it was difficult in the beginning. ....feeding every 2-3 hrs....no sleep and worrying about the ones who were struggling. ...lost a few pounds myself, always a good thing....but watching the transition in only 3 weeks is amazing. I see the blinking reflex in the eyes and are waiting for the eyes to open next. They are climbing on me and getting stronger and more coordinated.
    You are all amazing and dedicated people. Thank you for your help.

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Binkers mom:

kathy291 (08-25-2017), stepnstone (09-06-2017)

What a fantastic update!

Any pictures?

I don't know how to post pics. Would it be possible to txt them to an administrator to post them?
    There are a few new developments. Cowboy Earl, the gasping boy, is now 155 grams and his eyes are starting to open. This guy is so ahead of everyone else. I'm guessing they will be 5 weeks on Aug 30 th. The others are 138 -141 grams.
    The Duke is making a strange, pig- like snorting noise, occasionally. Also, I was studying them last night and noticed the Duke's right hind femur may have been broken when his nest was cut down and he fell 30 ft.. He has a small bump on the proximal end of the femur, and it is not as straight has his left femur. He is more mobile and appears to be using it normally and doesn't seem sensitive when I touch it.

I also wanted to add, Duke had blood in his mouth when he nursed this afternoon. It is the 2nd time I saw blood in his mouth. It disappeared pretty quickly. Do they bleed when teeth are coming in?
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Binkers mom View Post
    I also wanted to add, Duke had blood in his mouth when he nursed this afternoon. It is the 2nd time I saw blood in his mouth. It disappeared pretty quickly. Do they bleed when teeth are coming in?
    Thank you
    Yes, they do -- as a matter of fact two of mine are making a pink mess on the nipples, too. It doesn't last long.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

11. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Binkers mom (08-28-2017), stepnstone (09-06-2017)

Posting Binkers pics...
    Name:  Binkers1.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  95.6 KB
    Name:  Binkers2.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  91.5 KB
    Name:  Binkers3.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  80.2 KB

13. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

cava (10-10-2017), LR (10-10-2017), Rocky102014 (10-08-2017), stepnstone (09-06-2017)

Thank you Spanky for posting the pictures of the babies .
    5 1/2 weeks old UPDATE:

The King finally opened his eyes and now he is making up for lost time ! The King and Queen are still the smallest at 175 grams but they are hardy eaters and very active. Princess Pork chops is the second biggest 187grams and the sweetest girl, and Tex 200 grams, formally Earl the poor guy gasping for his life, is the biggest, most playful, rowdy character.
    My attention and concerns are with The Duke 184 grams He is the most nervous guy and I wonder if he is hurting. I noticed his right hind femur had a hard bump on it. He is using it, and he doesn't react when I touch it. Perhaps, it was broken when he fell and what else happened to him ??? Duke is the only one who tills his head when feeding on the syringe. And doesn't suckle like the others. I need to go super, super slow . He was the only one who bled on the nipple. I want to get a look inside his mouth after he eats and is mellower. After I clean him and give him rubs on his cheeks, he yawns, then I can get a peek.
    They all love getting washed up after meal time, and are getting active. Some are even swatting at us and each other....Fiesty bunch.. so much different than raising a single baby. It's squirrel wrestle mania !!!
    Many many thanks

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Binkers mom from:

LR (10-10-2017)

Also, wanted to add.....some of the boys are peeing in the corner of the cage now !!!!, but the girls really need to be stimulated to pee and poop, and I still help out the boys....Tex is always making the first advances, he even flips his tail around like a helicopter when eating, too cute....they are nibbling on rodent block too.

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Binkers mom from:

LR (10-10-2017)

6 week update: All 5 are doing well. They are all over 210 grams now and nibbling on rodent block and Henry's wild bites. The wrestling matches are hysterical. I have been putting them in the bigger cage during the day . They are crowding and annoying each other and need more room. I have the lower platforms and floor well padded in case someone has a fall and I have a ferret hanging cube for them. The cube is hanging from the lower platform so they can access it. When they get older, it will go on the ceiling.
    If anyone has an opinion on Dukes leg, pic has it circled, I would appreciate any input. There's a bump on the right hind leg.
    Many thanks to Leigh at Henry's Healthy Pets has been so kind with her help and her Web page instructions for caring for babies squirrels page on the website, is fantastic. Just follow it exactly, and you are in squirrelly business. And many thanks to the SB for their timely responses and help and support.

19. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Binkers mom:

LR (10-10-2017), Nancy in New York (09-06-2017), Rocky102014 (10-08-2017), stepnstone (09-06-2017)

7 weeks old update. All five are still doing well. They are getting big 275-295 grams , and very active . They are climbing like champs. They are starting to explore outside the cage and climbing all around it. I introduced romaine lettuce last week and broccoli this week and I also took cuttings from my maple tree, washed them, and hung them around in the cage. Wow !!! they went nuts for the leaves. They are eating Kaytee rodent block and Henry's wild bites. They are also stashing their food around the cage and in their nesting cubes. Some are sitting up holding the food and eating and their tails are curling up over their backs now .They have really good startle reflexes, especially when someone's being crazy in the cage and making noise . They are all still taking formula, although some don't seem to want as much as they used to have. The King is always first in line at the buffet , followed by Tex , then the Duke . The Queen Bean and Princess are less eager, as of late. That can change tho, they may chow down at the next feeding. I'm waiting for them to start using the twigs and leaves to build their own little nests inside the cubes. They don't mind being handled too much but they are definitely not a cuddly bunch. They are tight with each other, looking after and grooming one another. They do like it when I stick my hand in the cubes and rub their bellies and wrestle with them.
    I thought giving a happy update and good news might cheer some folks up, in consideration of all the destruction and difficult times lately.
    My thoughts are with all the little souls displaced by the hurricanes and all of their champions going above and beyond to care for them.
    You are all remarkable people, from the experienced rehabbers to the person who came across their first baby and decided to save it, and everyone in between.

21. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Binkers mom:

cava (09-13-2017), LR (10-10-2017), UDoWhat (10-08-2017)

Update : The 5 kiddos are now 9 -9 1/2 weeks old. They are climbing and jumping very well. Even Duke, who had the broken leg, is coming out of his shell and joining in the activity sessions. He is using his leg and muscle development appears equal on both sides.
    They are eating less formula, which concerns me, and some don't seem interested in it at all for a couple of feedings, but than they will be ravenous for it. Is this normal ? I offer 2 - 3 times a day. FV 20/50.
    They eat Henry's wild bites and Oxbow RB. Fresh lettuces and veggies from the food pyramid chart. Maple tree cuttings, At night, before bedtime is treat time....a piece of fruit or piece of walnut, occasionally a peanut (which they are opening with no problem ).
    The King , always the first to come and last to go, and Princess remain my constant companions. Big Tex is starting to guard the cube. The Queen is a live wire but still likes a little attention, and Duke is the same. They are all getting aggressive towards the other family members who used to help feed. Granted, they don't spend the time with the kiddos that I do. Is this normal?
    What is the next step in helping these cuties? Thank you.

23. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Binkers mom from:

LR (10-10-2017)

Super job raising this little ones!

Just keep offering formula and let them self wean on their own. Within a week or so, you can go to 2x per day formula. You might have one that will continue to take formula for another couple weeks while the others turn their noses away and ignore it. Make sure they have blocks and veggies. Keep the treats to just a single treat per day (or even every other day).

They will start to be more territorial and will usually “bond” to only one person. Just have your family members be careful, they can bite really hard!. They will start to become more adventurous and squirmy, often turning into little escape artists when the cage door is open or they are being held.

Typically, folks start the soft release pricess around 14 or more weeks old. Have you started preparing for that?

Update : The 5 kiddos are now 9 -9 1/2 weeks old. They are climbing and jumping very well. Even Duke, who had the broken leg, is coming out of his shell and joining in the activity sessions. He is using his leg and muscle development appears equal on both sides.
    They are eating less formula, which concerns me, and some don't seem interested in it at all for a couple of feedings, but than they will be ravenous for it. Is this normal ? I offer 2 - 3 times a day. FV 20/50.
    They eat Henry's wild bites and Oxbow RB. Fresh lettuces and veggies from the food pyramid chart. Maple tree cuttings, At night, before bedtime is treat time....a piece of fruit or piece of walnut, occasionally a peanut (which they are opening with no problem ).
    The King , always the first to come and last to go, and Princess remain my constant companions. Big Tex is starting to guard the cube. The Queen is a live wire but still likes a little attention, and Duke is the same. They are all getting aggressive towards the other family members who used to help feed. Granted, they don't spend the time with the kiddos that I do. Is this normal?
    What is the next step in helping these cuties? Thank you.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

25. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

Binkers mom (09-29-2017), LR (10-10-2017)

Thanks TubeDiver,
    Will do all the things you suggested.
    The soft release is where my concern lies.
    I know someone who has been raising pinkies, and works with a licensed rehabber, for 5-6 years and offered to do a soft release in her friend's squirrel friendly yard. Both people are vet techs and will feed and care for the babies. Or should I do it in my yard ? My front yard has a fast road, and neighbors can be.....not nice. If they see a cage they may report it.
    If they go somewhere else, would they avoid people? Is that recommended?
    If they stay by me, would they seek me out ? Would that be bad for them to seek out people ?
    These are the first pinkies I ever raised, before them I only raised 1 baby that was found injured in my yard who was about 5-6 weeks old, eyes open.
    So, I don't want to make any mistakes.6

27. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Binkers mom from:

LR (10-10-2017)

Also, I'm recovering from foot surgery, just had it Monday. So I sit with them and leave the cage open so they can run and jump. Usually from me to the cage. I also have a small pet carrier ,secured , on top of the cage. They go in it and play and pee. Wanted them to get used to it in case they needed to be transported.
    I'm not able to weigh them .....they are so active....if anyone has tips on how this can be done...please share it.
    Many thanks.

29. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Binkers mom:

LR (10-10-2017), Nancy in New York (10-08-2017)

Update : So we are coming up on 11 weeks old......and WOW! !!!! They are getting WILD !!! Tex is climbing the windows and wants out! He was the one who was gasping and we thought he wouldn't last the night....then he turned into the biggest one who progressed faster than the rest. He hasn't bitten me YET, but he scatches my hands real nice and is territorial.
    Duke is right behind him ( he is the boy who had a broken leg, he isn't as aggressive as Tex but he is elusive and territorial too.).......Those boys are independent. The King and Queen are still sweet inside and outside the cage. The Princess is sweet on the outside but territorial on the inside.
    They are still nursing enthusiastically 2 to 3 times a day. Some can open nuts....hazelnuts, peacans, almonds....the walnut shell remains the challenge.
    I am removin the cozy cubes and replacing them with wooden nesting

31. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Binkers mom:

LR (10-10-2017), Nancy in New York (10-08-2017)

This is a fabulous update. You have done great! Thank you for taking them on. What an amazing trip your thread is !

33. Serious fuzzy thank you's to UDoWhat from:

Binkers mom (10-08-2017)

Thank you !
    Sorry my battery died.....
    So I will be transitioning the cage accommodations to a more natural setting. But they do love thier cozy cubes. Oh well....will save them for the next bunch!
    My husband is making 2 more outside squirrel houses. And will hang them in the tree over top of where the cage, lol wrote "cafe " by accident but will be the reality of the situation, will be.( He has been such a good sport , even helped with the feedings, which were stressful for him.
    We have nice days coming up, so we will be moving the cage outside during the day and bringing it in for about a week than leaving it outside.
    My dogs will keep the yard safe from predators and I will put a barrier up so they can't go near the cage.
    Unfortunately, we saw a huge eagle trolling above today.......I will figure something out to keep the predators from above away.
    The KING remains my favorite...we spent alot of nights with him. He was the weakest one. Kept dehydrating....don't know why.....needed lots of hydration/feedings, extra cuddles....now he's the first one to greet me, and stays out with me to wrestle the rat stuffy and development his ninja squirrel moves.
    Thanks to the board for all your help.

35. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Binkers mom:

cava (10-08-2017), LR (10-10-2017), Nancy in New York (10-08-2017), Rocky102014 (10-08-2017)

Post Re: Help! 2 week old babies , nest cut down, 1 gasping & not swallowing

Thank you !
    Sorry my battery died.....
    So I will be transitioning the cage accommodations to a more natural setting. But they do love thier cozy cubes. Oh well....will save them for the next bunch!
    My husband is making 2 more outside squirrel houses. And will hang them in the tree over top of where the cage, lol wrote "cafe " by accident but will be the reality of the situation, will be.( He has been such a good sport , even helped with the feedings, which were stressful for him.
    We have nice days coming up, so we will be moving the cage outside during the day and bringing it in for about a week than leaving it outside.
    My dogs will keep the yard safe from predators and I will put a barrier up so they can't go near the cage.
    Unfortunately, we saw a huge eagle trolling above today.......I will figure something out to keep the predators from above away.
    The KING remains my favorite...we spent alot of nights with him. He was the weakest one. Kept dehydrating....don't know why.....needed lots of hydration/feedings, extra cuddles....now he's the first one to greet me, and stays out with me to wrestle the rat stuffy and development his ninja squirrel moves.
    Thanks to the board for all your help.
    You and your husband have done all the work. And you were willing to listen to all the advice that you were given. Boy! I will say your hubby has been a sport. Feedings too! Sounds like you have a good pre- release plan. The king sounds so sweet. Maybe will remain sweet for a while longer. You took on an incredible task raising and releasing these squirrels. You have done it like a pro. Great job!

37. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to UDoWhat:

Binkers mom (10-08-2017), cava (10-08-2017), LR (10-10-2017), Rocky102014 (10-08-2017)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast