Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have a very injured squirrel

davidwaghorn Guest

Default I have a very injured squirrel

He can only crawl on his back, He chatters but I'm really worried. What should I feed him? He is just a baby

Default Re: I have a very injured squirrel

I am not sure but I just wanted to say Hi and Welcome and that someone should be here to help you soon
    Do you have any pics?

Please wait I am getting help! I have to go or I would help you myself!

Pa. licenced Rehabber

Quote Originally Posted by Gammas Baby
    I'm not a rehabber, so I'll leave the medical advice up to them, but this did come into the Emer. Forum, so I'm sure help will be on its way. For now, just keep it in a dark, quiet place. Thank you for caring!!!

what she said!

Come to the lobby chat room
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Rebecca <
    SC Wildlife Rehabilitator
    I'm a squirrel watcher, I'm a squirrel watcher, watching squirrels go by, my my my!

Phew!!! David has his vet coming by in an hour or so. His vet dosen't handle wildlife.
    His squirrel is 11-12 weeks old out of the nest feeding on his back porch for the last few days.
    Today he found him paralized at the base of a tree. Front legs are moving along with his head. No tail or back leg movement. No swelling as of yet, no broken bones as far as David can tell. An xray is a must to see what if the spine is broken...I don't think it is...but it's hard to say because I can't see him for myself. No cuts or bits either.

I suggested he keep him warm and quiet in a dark place...add a heat source anyway for the risk of shock.
    The squirrel is eating. I suggested almonds and fresh veggies along with water until the vet gets there.
    He lives in Canada....Ottowa I think he said. Can anyone suggest a rehaber or wildlife vet in his area.
    I asked David to come back to this thread and see what other help is necessary.
    David is very attached to his yard squirrel and want to do what is best for him.

Thanks and I hope I didn't run off anyone in the chat room....
    Rebecca <
    I'm a squirrel watcher, I'm a squirrel watcher, watching squirrels go by, my my my!

Gabe Guest

Thank you so much for the update, SS. If his vet is coming by, he will perhaps be able to get the x-rays for him? Even if he is not a wildlife vet, an x-ray is an x-ray.
    Let's keep our fingers crossed. I know some of us can help out with med doses if necessary. Steroids to reduce the swelling/trauma and time should help if there are no breaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe
    Thank you so much for the update, SS. If his vet is coming by, he will perhaps be able to get the x-rays for him? Even if he is not a wildlife vet, an x-ray is an x-ray.
    Let's keep our fingers crossed. I know some of us can help out with med doses if necessary. Steroids to reduce the swelling/trauma and time should help if there are no breaks.
    David....if your vet is willing to spend a few min with us.....maybe we and your vet can do something collectivly....new concept!!!! Who knows. It's worth a try.

Also GM thanks for running shot gun!!!! You are one of a kind!!! I don't think any harm was done...it's all about the squirrels...right!!!!

Now where did David go...I suggested he come back and check this thread for more up dates....
    Oh... he may be with the vet... I better calm down before I bust an artery !!!
    Rebecca <

The care David is giving (thanks to your advice) sounds perfect. I just hope the vet will be willing to give the poor little tyke a chance. I'm just so upset thinking about it. I'm praying for a miracle.
    Henry's Healthy Pets
    Henry's Healthy Blocks, Fox Valley Formula, Fleecies Cage Gear and more

The animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren; they are not underlings; they are other nations… ~Henry Beston, The Outermost House, 1928

SS, if the vet can give the squirrel a shot of DEX it can work wonders with paralysis. I have seen amazing results with this -- but only if it's administered right away and then again maybe in a few days. If David can reach the vet so the vet can bring dex with him -- that would be great.....
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

I'll email him....can someone PM while I do this...Please...Thanks!!!
    Rebecca <

Since this is Canada, not the U.S., you might want to make sure David has the full name of the drug: Dexamethasone.
    Henry's Healthy Pets

The animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren; they are not underlings; they are other nations… ~Henry Beston, The Outermost House, 1928

Quote Originally Posted by 4skwerlz
    Since this is Canada, not the U.S., you might want to make sure David has the full name of the drug: Dexamethasone.
    Thank you 4squrelz...I already have the full name.... did anyome PM David??
    Rebecca <

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel
    Thank you 4squrelz...I already have the full name.... did anyome PM David??
    SS,
    I know YOU know the full name ( sheesh); I meant be sure and tell DAVID the full name!!! Sometimes you experts forget how easy it is for laymen to get confused about all that medical stuff.
    Henry's Healthy Pets

Quote Originally Posted by 4skwerlz
    SS,
    I know YOU know the full name ( sheesh); I meant be sure and tell DAVID the full name!!! Sometimes you experts forget how easy it is for laymen to get confused about all that medical stuff.
    You funny....you make me laugh....like little girl!!!!!! Not an expert at all!!! As my mentor says...."just Gods handmaidens" I just love that!!!!!!
    Rebecca <

Ok David....I tried to email you but your provider rejected it as "junk bulk" mail. I'll send you another PM.

Man I am striking out here!!!!! All I can think about is that poor squirrel.
    I guess no new is good news. Let pray so.
    Rebecca <

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel
    All I can think about is that poor squirrel
    Me too. The image of him trying to crawl on his back is just haunting me. I'm trying to send healing thoughts his way. Hope they can travel that far without getting lost........
    Henry's Healthy Pets

ravenlaws32 Guest

praying for good news, this brings back so many memories of our dear lewis.

Lewis will always be a very special angel.

I saw a posting recently on TSB where a long-term paralyzed squirrel started walking again. Let's hope that David gives this baby some time.

I have asked David to re post in this thread. Since PMing is slow going.
    I will be gone for most of the day. I am sure he will be good hands with all of you.
    The latest is...I recommended the Dexamethasone for swelling. He asked about a different dex used for depression and appitite control. I nixed that idea.
    The squirrel is the same as last posted. I PMed him about the vet visit and how did that go. No answer as of yet.
    So, David we are waiting for you and have high hope for your friend.
    Blessings to you, you are in good hands at TSB.
    Rebecca
    Rebecca <

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.