Thread: DASH and his food needs

Default DASH and his food needs

DASH has been enjoying his freedom but still comes each day for BooBalls, veggies and fruit. He gets a few almonds or walnut pieces before it gets dark.
    After reading the posts about sunflowers and sunflower seeds, I have been worrying about the BooBalls which are made with all natural unsalted peanut butter and ground almonds. Is the peanut butter bad for him?
    DASH loves them.
    I make them with Esbilac, ground up Kaytee blocks, ground almonds, molasses, unsweetened applesauce, and peanut butter. Have also been adding Gerber baby rice cereal since it has protein and calcium. The other ingredients are in proportions given for the Boo Ball recipe here at TSB. Have also used up the bags of Henry's blocks that DASH just did not really want to eat, by grinding them and using with this mixture.
    Since DASH comes for food up to 3 x a day, I worry that he's not getting enough food from wild sources, but I cannot just not feed him. There are some days that I don't see him except once, but the veggies and fruit left in the RC is always gone or nibbled. The BooBalls are always gone. Do you think that other squirrels would be going into the cage through the 4" opening when I am not around?
    DASH was sitting on the arbor near to the door I come out of tonight and followed me to the RC for his snack of a few pieces of walnuts. He gets almonds most nights. The

Default Re: DASH and his food needs

Though outside of most wild habitats summer can be a leaner time if surrogate wild sources are not well available. As for your both having enough to support him, that is hard to say. What I can say is that where I am in the Southwest pickins are few.

Our Fox squirrel yard friend Ms. Diggie just passed away a nearly 9 of age, having had litters twice a year for the last 6 years from what we have observed. We gave her primarily English Walnuts sprinkled with Calcium Citrate, having misted the walnuts with purified water to support the calcium sticking to them.

Even so we put out some from the market that she would at times also accept, she liked those right off the neighbors tree best. On occasion she accepted a piece of apple, but never accepted any of the berries we put out, only the wild ones. She also like avocado, as most squirrels do. Weremoved the pits or skin that are toxic, adn gave her always fresh the fresh flesh just as they begin to soften.

The big issues in support of long term survival, is whether the squirrels stay close to your yard and out of the street, and that they have sufficient food and a continual water source and supportive trees for nesting and hiding from predators in.

As for sunflower seeds, they are very poor in calcium though high in fat, not the best source to supplement wilds with. Though the almond is noted to be of a good ratio of calcium to phosphorus, it does not provide any additional level of bioavailable calcium to the diet, being that is very high in anti-nutrients among nuts.

I am presently working on an address on this very topic which I hope to be ready to post soon in my nutrition thread on anti nutrients in the diet; almonds will be featured in that address.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

JoanP (07-29-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by JoanP View Post
    DASH has been enjoying his freedom but still comes each day for BooBalls, veggies and fruit. He gets a few almonds or walnut pieces before it gets dark.
    After reading the posts about sunflowers and sunflower seeds, I have been worrying about the BooBalls which are made with all natural unsalted peanut butter and ground almonds. Is the peanut butter bad for him?
    DASH loves them.
    I make them with Esbilac, ground up Kaytee blocks, ground almonds, molasses, unsweetened applesauce, and peanut butter. Have also been adding Gerber baby rice cereal since it has protein and calcium. The other ingredients are in proportions given for the Boo Ball recipe here at TSB. Have also used up the bags of Henry's blocks that DASH just did not really want to eat, by grinding them and using with this mixture.
    Since DASH comes for food up to 3 x a day, I worry that he's not getting enough food from wild sources, but I cannot just not feed him. There are some days that I don't see him except once, but the veggies and fruit left in the RC is always gone or nibbled. The BooBalls are always gone. Do you think that other squirrels would be going into the cage through the 4" opening when I am not around?
    DASH was sitting on the arbor near to the door I come out of tonight and followed me to the RC for his snack of a few pieces of walnuts. He gets almonds most nights. The
    I definitely think others could be coming into the release cage and eating some of the food. I've seen them do it at my house.

We released two boys about a year ago. They still come almost daily for treats. They, and the wilds, get a variety of nuts, shelled and unshelled. I also make up a bowl of healthy veggies a few times a week and put it on the feeding station. The squirrels pick through it and choose their favorites so there is some waste. They especially like raw corn, avocado (no pit or skin) chunks of coconut, cherries (no pits) and for the first time I have offered mamones. Mamones are a tropical fruit that has a hard skin and sweet and sour flesh. They seem to like them. I have also been making boo balls with assorted ingredients, like you, and I put them out there, too. The wilds, and my boys, eat them.

At tractor supply I found a pressed ground corn log for squirrels. Ordinarily I wouldn't think of offering something like that, but I read the ingredients and it has calcium added to it. It has been a hit, too. I hope some of these healthy items help offset the nuts my guys and the wilds consume.

Living in Florida there isn't an abundance of natural food sources that I would recognize, and yet the wilds seem to do ok. I don't have all the squirrels in the neighborhood eating at my buffet so they must be getting enough food from somewhere.

I think what you're offering Dash is fine. Just don't go overboard on it and he will have to supplement with natural foods he finds.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

JoanP (07-29-2017)

Forgot to say that I also crush 2 fruit flavored Tums into the entire mix that I prepare for BooBalls. I plan on using less peanut butter over time, and perhaps less Esbilac. The largest proportion of the BooBall mixture, is ground Kaytee Rodent blocks.
    DASH's disappearance for a day every so often makes me both anxious and glad at the same time. I worry that he has gotten into a bad situation, and am happy that he is becoming more part of the "wilds". Great relief when I see him waiting for me on the railing or on top of the arbor.
    I cannot figure out what the squirrels eat on our property other than the bird feeder foods. They always try to get to the suet blocks we put out in all but the warm summer months! Would have thought not, but they seem to be sort of omnivores.

If the peanut butter does not have added sugar, I would not worry about the BooBalls at all that you are giving to "wild" Dash. He is very lucky to have you looking after him, providing nutritious treats and making sure he has water...

I doubt that any wilds are entering the RC unless there are other releases around that may be willing to enter. I have only ever had 1 wild enter a RC in the past few years and not surprising, he was not able to make his way back out until I opened the big door for him (her? ).

Have fun in the trees Dash!

Just a PB tip. http://www.bettylousinc.com/powdered...wdered-pb.html

"Just Great Stuff Original" Powdered Organic Peanut Butter"

Non GMO

Low in fat - 90 % less fat than traditional peanut butter; and provides a good source of protein.

Low in sugar - just 3 grams sugar in 2 Tbsp.

And lower in sodium.

A little goes a long ways to adding aroma and flavor to your favorite recipe. Enjoy it with your squirrels!

Quote Originally Posted by Diggie's Friend View Post
    Just a PB tip. http://www.bettylousinc.com/powdered...wdered-pb.html

"Just Great Stuff Original" Powdered Organic Peanut Butter"

Non GMO

Low in fat - 90 % less fat than traditional peanut butter; and provides a good source of protein.

Low in sugar - just 3 grams sugar in 2 Tbsp.

And lower in sodium.

A little goes a long ways to adding aroma and flavor to your favorite recipe. Enjoy it with your squirrels!

I used Teddy's Natural PB. No salt, no added anything. just ground peanuts.