Thread: Which nipples are best for feeding?

Default Which nipples are best for feeding?

Hi everyone. I have two baby fox squirrels around 3 weeks old. I've been using the small miracle nipple but am wondering if it is too small. Can anyone suggest the best kind of nipple? Thank you. On another note, my Red squirrel Daisy has been released and seems to be doing well. I had a nice time visiting with her yesterday morning and she had a yummy breakfast. Here's a couple of pics.Name:  IMG_7420.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  61.1 KBName:  IMG_7437.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  99.9 KB

Default Re: Which nipples are best for feeding?

I have both....miracle ones & the long clear silicone ones from henrys. I prefer the long ones even with my flyers. Seems like everytime i use the miracle nipple my babies are sloppy & they get formula on the pad & then they mush their noses in it & snort it. The long ones they latch onto easier for me. There are bigger sizes of the miracle nipple so if you like those maybe you can try the different sizes. Sooo jealous u have foxers....we dont have them down in south florida....except the ever elusive shermans fox squirrel...which i would sell my soul to get one of those babies!!! . Btw....your Daisy is absolutely beautiful!!! She is picture perfect lil girl!

Thank you. I miss her a lot. I'm glad I still get to visit with her but I can tell she's already starting to wild up. As it should be. That's what happens with my babies too. So sloppy. I just ordered the other nipples. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by TammyG View Post
    Thank you. I miss her a lot. I'm glad I still get to visit with her but I can tell she's already starting to wild up. As it should be. That's what happens with my babies too. So sloppy. I just ordered the other nipples. Thanks again!
    You're welcome! Im just super paranoid of AP so i dont like their noses mush up. Long ones allow them to latch on & make a seal without the mess. I pinch the syringe barrel just below the nipple & it gives them my fingertips to hold on to.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennefer View Post
    You're welcome! Im just super paranoid of AP so i dont like their noses mush up. Long ones allow them to latch on & make a seal without the mess. I pinch the syringe barrel just below the nipple & it gives them my fingertips to hold on to.
    I totally agree and as for the fox squirrels, I raised and released 3 of them two years ago. I included a pic of one of them. I still see them occasionally. They want nothing to do with me. I think you're fortunate to have flying squirrels! They're so cute!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Omg he is gorgeous!!! Fat & healthy....love his color. What a great photographer you are! Even if they wont come to, keep taking the great photos. Im lucky if i can get a face in the photo most times!! Oh how i love my flyers. Just released 6 of them a month ago. 2 still come see me every day at dark & dawn. I like to out at 6am & they are waiting for me...jump on my shoulder or in my shirt.
    Name:  20170322_191008.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  115.6 KB

Your flyers are adorable! I'm glad some of them still come to see you! I tried the new nipples and my babies wanted nothing to do with them. I guess they're set in their ways.

Thanks Tammy! Yeah, I think squirrels dont like change or "new" things...they are funny that way! I just have way better luck with the long ones without the pad...I have frantic, t-rex eaters & they manage to make a mess with the pad. Keep trying, your guys may warm up to the long ones.

I have a barely 2 week old EGS. She has had terrible issues with digestion and latching too. I have always loved miracle nipples but she actually was desperate and wanted to swallow them. When the mini we had run out of it was much more like a mom size. She NEEDS to stop the gagging with a 'belly and ariola to press her mouth/nose to the base like mommy' tummy. She dies not spill or make a mess but with the reg longer than her mouth she can aspirate if it goes down her throat. As she gets older she gets older I will probably switch but with her bowel issues avoiding extra air, gas is critical.

I suppose each case and species is a bit unique. My lil squishy has barely cut bottom incisors but the funny thing, the long are more flexible and when I had a 3 gram house mouse newnirn the reg nipple worked well!! Go figure she was the size of my second toe😹

Best of luck

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SquirrelSense from:

Shewhosweptforest (08-12-2017)

I'm not sure...the miracle nipple has that base...that mimics the body I suppose...maybe you need a larger miracle nipple....I don't think the longer nipple affects the problems with aspiration...they have longer heads and the nipple is ending up where it should...just maybe go very slow sorry...I know that's not a lot of help....the only other nipple I like is the silicone nipples but they are straight with no backing good luck!
    Make the world a better place...one animal at a time

The Peace of Wild Things
    BY WENDELL BERRY
    When despair for the world grows in me
    and I wake in the night at the least sound
    in fear of what my life and my children’s lives may be,
    I go and lie down where the wood drake
    rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
    I come into the peace of wild things
    who do not tax their lives with forethought
    of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
    And I feel above me the day-blind stars
    waiting with their light. For a time
    I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

Quote Originally Posted by BostonSquirrelyGirl View Post
    I have a barely 2 week old EGS. She has had terrible issues with digestion and latching too. I have always loved miracle nipples but she actually was desperate and wanted to swallow them. When the mini we had run out of it was much more like a mom size. She NEEDS to stop the gagging with a 'belly and ariola to press her mouth/nose to the base like mommy' tummy. She dies not spill or make a mess but with the reg longer than her mouth she can aspirate if it goes down her throat. As she gets older she gets older I will probably switch but with her bowel issues avoiding extra air, gas is critical.

I suppose each case and species is a bit unique. My lil squishy has barely cut bottom incisors but the funny thing, the long are more flexible and when I had a 3 gram house mouse newnirn the reg nipple worked well!! Go figure she was the size of my second toe😹

Best of luck

Just throwing this out there, but are you sure that your little one isn't doing the guppy mouthed eating?
    Check out this link in this thread.

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...reathing-VIDEO

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

island rehabber (08-13-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post

Just throwing this out there, but are you sure that your little one isn't doing the guppy mouthed eating?
    Check out this link in this thread.

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...reathing-VIDEO
    I was thinking the exact same thing, Nancy. We're all used to it, but for those who don't know what the guppy-mouth thing is it can look like gasping, gagging, or a seizure.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

15. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Mel1959 (08-13-2017), Nancy in New York (08-13-2017)