Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jaw / Head Injury - One of the kids...

Default Re: Jaw / Head Injury - One of the kids...

This girl's lower lip looks like the where you are pulling down on Snags lip.. but with no one pulling down on it.

I am hoping her lower teeth grow back, making removing her uppers unnecessary, we'll give it time...

She got a trimming of the uppers, though I would have preferred to have gotten them shorter than we did but she was such a good girl I decided that was enough for the first rodeo...

She is much more active, especially today, and her eyes are brightening up. She is eating more and sleeping less... mostly liquefied food, but she did get a bowl of small cut up squash and sweet tater (nuked) but I don't really know if she ate any, and if she did it was not much. She did rummage around in that bowl quite a while.. and I did give her a piece of almond that she managed to get back to her molars, chew and swallow! She will greedily eat from a syringe so she is being fed a couple times a day in addition to what she has free access to in her cage.

Now the important stuff... she has lost more hair on her belly (her chest is bare) and the angry redness is back with a vengeance. The hair loss could be a result of her getting the slurry / liquefied food all over . But the clavamox is obviously helping and improving things but the redness has me worrying once again and considering a switch to cephalexin? Vet is all about the baytril but it does not have the coverage needed...

2. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Milo's Mom (08-11-2017), SammysMom (08-11-2017)

Just a quick update: The next morning (the 9th) her redness was gone and has not returned despite continuing the clavamox. Maybe some sort of systemic infection that the clav finally got on top of...

She is getting more active every day, her toofer trim seems to have agreed with her... and she is still being very sweet.

4. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

island rehabber (08-11-2017), Milo's Mom (08-11-2017), SammysMom (08-11-2017)

Hello TSB... Please tell share with me what these x-rays reveal for you?

Name:  JawPic.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  88.4 KB

Maybe this one is better (but much bigger)...
    Name:  JawPic2.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  72.5 KB

Is that a detached tooth? Is that from the bottom?
    Where are the bottom teeth?
    Oh Lord, I'm not good at this, is that his eye area or sinus?

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

Spanky (09-19-2017)

Milo's Mom is offline Permitted Pennsylvania Wildlife Rehabilitator

To me it looks like she's got bottom teeth/tooth growing in. I am wondering what the dark spot is just above the thing that looks like a lower tooth.

Was she shot? There are a few areas in the head neck area that I'm wondering about.

Top-quality custom cage gear, accessories, blankets, & toys.
    Boutique items are fun, unique, and anything but ordinary.

TSB thread: Auntie MM's Custom Boutique Website: https://auntiemmscb.square.site/ Facebook: Auntie MM's Facebook Page

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Milo's Mom from:

Spanky (09-19-2017)

I am sorry Nancy, my purpose was to get feedback from folks before sharing what was told to me by way of confirmation (but to be honest I am questioning some of what I was told).

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    Oh Lord, I'm not good at this, is that his eye area or sinus?

I *think* what you are referring to is the eye...

Is that from the bottom?
    I believe this is a pic with her lying on her side if that is the question?

Edit: I see what you are saying... the side but yes an upward view...

Is that a detached tooth?
    Where are the bottom teeth?

I am going to hold off answering these for now...
    Last edited by Spanky; 09-19-2017 at 06:40 PM.

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Nancy in New York (09-19-2017)

I'm not sure if I'm seeing "through" the image or if there is a blur, but is there a second bottom tooth growing behind (or in the image to the left) of the thing that really looks like a tooth?

TSB thread: Auntie MM's Custom Boutique Website: https://auntiemmscb.square.site/ Facebook: Auntie MM's Facebook Page

Quote Originally Posted by Milo's Mom View Post
    To me it looks like she's got bottom teeth/tooth growing in. I am wondering what the dark spot is just above the thing that looks like a lower tooth.

Was she shot? There are a few areas in the head neck area that I'm wondering about.
    Thank You MM!!!!

He did say it looks as though she had been shot . There is the area you referred to, another lower in her neck and even what he said was a fragment in her hand. My first encounter with gun-shot wounded squirrel.

But, her teeth are growing but they have grown, are growing outside her skin under her jaw. I know this was not there a 10+ days ago but I was handling her yesterday and felt them... then saw them... and it took a few minutes for me to convince myself that I was seeing what I thought I was seeing.

My vet does not believe he can surgically repair this... but I am a simpleton and don't understand why not? It may require trimming her teeth back (good news is that we know they are growing, right?), close the wound that they undoubtedly grew through which closed at least a bit around the teeth already? And.. well maybe just pray?

Pretty sure I need some vet consults?!?!

15. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Milo's Mom (09-19-2017), SammysMom (09-19-2017)

Almost looks like there are two layers of bottom incisors, one over the other?
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

Spanky (09-19-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Milo's Mom View Post
    I'm not sure if I'm seeing "through" the image or if there is a blur, but is there a second bottom tooth growing behind (or in the image to the left) of the thing that really looks like a tooth?
    If I think I understand what you are seeing, that is a second tooth. They are a little wonky I think because they are protruding through the skin and yet trying to curl up (like they should) so that are kinda held in that "alignment" (or misalignment?).. if that makes sense?

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Thank You MM!!!!

He did say it looks as though she had been shot . There is the area you referred to, another lower in her neck and even what he said was a fragment in her hand. My first encounter with gun-shot wounded squirrel.

Yes, there are at least 3 areas I'm questioning

But, her teeth are growing but they have grown, are growing outside her skin under her jaw. I know this was not there a 10+ days ago but I was handling her yesterday and felt them... then saw them... and it took a few minutes for me to convince myself that I was seeing what I thought I was seeing.
    I wondered if they were outside of the skin, but I knew her tissue damage was pretty major so I thought maybe the fatty tissue hadn't come back yet. Teeth on the outside?

My vet does not believe he can surgically repair this... but I am a simpleton and don't understand why not? It may require trimming her teeth back (good news is that we know they are growing, right?), close the wound that they undoubtedly grew through which closed at least a bit around the teeth already? And.. well maybe just pray?

Pretty sure I need some vet consults?!?!

Teeth growing is incredibly awesome after this kind of injury. Yes, I'd contact Dr. Emerson and get her take on it. Not sure why the skin can't just be put on the outside of the teeth...

If I think I understand what you are seeing, that is a second tooth. They are a little wonky I think because they are protruding through the skin and yet trying to curl up (like they should) so that are kinda held in that "alignment" (or misalignment?).. if that makes sense?
    Yes, that is exactly what I thought it was but when I saw the fragments of shot I wondered if one splintered the tooth bud and another tooth started growing.

Are both bottom teeth doing this or just one? Looks almost like the one inferior tooth is properly aligned and the top tooth (from viewers perspective) is misaligned/offset? Poor squirrel.

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post
    Are both bottom teeth doing this or just one? Looks almost like the one inferior tooth is properly aligned and the top tooth (from viewers perspective) is misaligned/offset? Poor squirrel.
    I think it's the angle of the image as the tops and bottoms are both "misaligned"; coincidentally they appear off equal to each other.

23. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Milo's Mom from:

TubeDriver (09-19-2017)

I think the perspective and the angle is also what Nancy was referring to as well.

She's had a long day and even though she scratched me up quite a bit with her rear legs, she was overall extremely well behaved today. I am not going to do any more poking and prodding on her tonight and simply let her rest. They'll be plenty of time for that once we find a vet with the right kind of experience to help us!

25. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

JLM27 (09-19-2017), Nancy in New York (09-19-2017), TubeDriver (09-19-2017)

Awww yes of course give the girl her sleepy time.
    Thank you for loving her and helping her through all of this.

Spank, you truly "walk the walk"!
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

28. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SammysMom from:

Nancy in New York (09-19-2017)

Opal had a visit with Dr. E this past Monday. She and I had a whirlwind 36 hour trip rushing to return to the kids.

There was simply too much damage to her lower jaw to save her teeth. There were dead bone fragments, a bone actually protruding protruding into her lower mouth... a real mess. Dr. E removed all her incisors, cleaned everything up and removed what needed removing and she is recovering and doing well. Dr E's x-rays so much more detail than I had before.. we never even saw the bone fragments or the one protruding into her mouth... she mentioned the machine used was one designed for dental x-rays, so I suppose that makes sense?

It is not the outcome I had hoped and prayed for, but she could not have been taken care of better. So now it is time for her next chapter in life.

I will long remember Dr E's comment that Opal ".. had a little "feral" in her" and I explained I had not been treating her like an NR, but that all changed Monday.

She has never learned to eat anything solid or even soft, not even small pieces of steamed veggies, avocado and the like. As a result her diet was not great these past few months and in fact Dr E said her bones seemed a bit soft. I suppose it is not a surprise that Opal never was able to eat solids with everything going on in her mouth, but surely a testament to her will to live. Dr E was very confident Opal will soon be eating more solids... I sure hope so! Opal is still displaying the same frustration she has always when given anything solid... tries to gnaw it, turns it and turns it then seems to drop it in frustration and move on.

I will try to post some updated pictures soon. Opal will need a fur-ever home if I can bring myself to trust anyone with her...

30. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Jen413 (10-04-2017), Nancy in New York (10-04-2017), SammysMom (10-04-2017), TubeDriver (10-04-2017)

Opal

-Grateful Dead

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast