Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jaw / Head Injury - One of the kids...

Default Jaw / Head Injury - One of the kids...

I found what has to be one of my releases waiting for me on the deck this afternoon. She has a significant injury to the underside of her jaw. To me it looks like flap of skin has been torn back. The left side of her head is swollen and her left eye slightly compromised.... just realizing I did not get a picture of the left side of her head. I will worry about that later, but there is considerable swelling. I think more swelling versus an abscess.

Good news is there is no head tilt, circling or other immediate indicators of neurological issues. She did not fuss too much when I put her into the cage (Note to future self: Keep a cage fully geared out and on the ready (if there is one unoccupied)).

She was extremely hungry and thirsty. She could not eat anything hard, and actually I did not realize immediately she was hurt... she was just pancaking on the deck rail and spit out the almond I gave her after a few moments. So she got about a tablespoon of baby food and 3 tablespoons of almond butter.

Name:  IMG_0106.JPG
Views: 259
Size:  100.7 KBName:  IMG_0107.JPG
Views: 239
Size:  107.5 KBName:  IMG_0112.JPG
Views: 221
Size:  88.9 KBName:  IMG_0113.JPG
Views: 223
Size:  102.7 KBName:  IMG_0114.JPG
Views: 420
Size:  59.8 KB

It hurts me to say but I think this is Opal, though she looks like an older squirrel (who would not being all beat up?).... but that tail. Regardless of who it is, I am glad they came to me...

She did not get too anxious in the cage or when I brought her inside. She took to the cubby quickly, like it was a familiar and if this is Opal, this was the cage she was in for months. She is sleeping right now.

I did not see any signs of infestation (maggots) or what infection, but this looks to be at least a day or two old and there is some dead skin present. I doubt that the skin flap is viable. The pictures include a lot of almond butter around the wound area.

Seeking some feedback... I shower quickly as I *might* have found my self in a poison ivy swamp a few moments ago (different story) but wanted to get this posted for feedback first...

2. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

cava (09-19-2017), KarmaKay (09-19-2017), Mel1959 (07-23-2017), Rocky1 (07-22-2017)

Default Re: Jaw / Head Injury - One of the kids...

Goodness! That poor baby. Glad she knew where to go for help.

“You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.” ― John Bunyan

Sammy's TSB Thread Marvin and Charlie's TSB Thread Sadie's TSB Thread

4. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Jen413:

KarmaKay (09-19-2017), Mel1959 (07-23-2017), Rocky1 (07-22-2017)

Oh dear... I will suggest Baytril/Cipro on the chance that it was a cat that did this. I would be sure that there are no maggots or fly eggs in the area and possibly flush with Capstar if it seems possible,
    Poor baby knew right where to come for help...HOME!
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

6. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SammysMom:

KarmaKay (09-19-2017), Mel1959 (07-23-2017), redwuff (07-23-2017), TubeDriver (07-27-2017)

We did get some pictures of the left side before we brought her inside... These pics do not show the welling on that side very well, but maybe a better view of the skin flap and the exposed area of her jaw.

Attached Images Attached Images    

8. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

cava (09-19-2017), Mel1959 (07-23-2017), Rocky1 (07-22-2017)

It makes me hurt for her seeing this. That looks absolutely awful. Prayers for that sweet girl.

“You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.” ― John Bunyan

Sammy's TSB Thread Marvin and Charlie's TSB Thread Sadie's TSB Thread

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Jen413 from:

Mel1959 (07-23-2017)

Oh dear God... Metacam is a very good thing. If you have Tramadol, you can give along with Metacam to keep a good pain relief going. Prayers for all of you tonight...

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SammysMom from:

KarmaKay (09-19-2017)

How is that sweet baby this morning? I know that fly eggs can be pretty hard to see...capstar is a great idea.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

She is still sleeping, and sleeping very hard. I checked in on her at dawn and she was not interested in getting up. I peeked into her cube at about 8:30AM and she just looked at me as if to say she was not ready to get up. I am attributing this to her having had a very rough past few days... like when a release takes off day one and returns three days later and sleeps for a day and a half.

I'll give her a little while longer then I intend on getting better look than I did last night... hoping to have some helping hands here later this morning so that is part of my decision to let her rest a while longer.

Antibiotics and metacam were started and will treat with Capstar today.

15. 6 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Grinderhead (07-23-2017), Jen413 (07-23-2017), KarmaKay (09-19-2017), Mel1959 (07-23-2017), Nancy in New York (08-02-2017), redwuff (07-23-2017)

Oh my, that poor baby! That wound looks terrible! eek. I can't imagine what happened to get the injury in that location. Im so glad she knew where to go for help. Isn't it amazing how little fuss they put up when they're brought back inside when they're injured. It never ceases to amaze me.

I hope things go well this morning when you tend to her.

17. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

KarmaKay (09-19-2017), redwuff (07-23-2017)

Yeah, that injury looks horrific! Any plans / opportunity to see a vet?
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

19. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

KarmaKay (09-19-2017), Mel1959 (07-23-2017), redwuff (07-23-2017)

Honestly, I would switch to Clavamox - maybe give her another day of Baytril or Cipro and then switch - broader spectrum and baytril won't do anything to prevent or treat abscess, etc. The Clavamox will cover the pasturella from a cat bit I am almost sure... Hopefully hrt4sqrls looks in here and weighs in on this...

I would do the oral capstar for sure.

Do you have any povidone iodine (betadyne)? About 20 drops in 1/4 cup water is the right strength and it doesn't burn or sting. I would use it with a big syringe to irrigate the area to clean it and try to get a look. It may be easier to saturate a wad of paper towel or washcloth and hold it against the area for as long as you can to start - soften all of the gore up so it is easier to rinse away.

Grind up a couple HHBs and mix with either some formula or even tastier, some Ensure, and some peanut butter and nuke for a few seconds. You can make it anywhere from a thin gruel to quite thick and stiff depending on the solid to liquid blend as she likes and it is full of nutrition. I usually offer it warmed up and almost everyone has loved it.

Poor baby...

21. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Jennefer (08-02-2017), Mel1959 (07-23-2017), redwuff (07-23-2017), stepnstone (07-23-2017)

This is a chippie who had a similar wound. I can't remember what we treated with, but I've asked and will pass it along.

23. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SammysMom:

KarmaKay (09-19-2017), Mel1959 (07-23-2017), stepnstone (07-23-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    Yeah, that injury looks horrific! Any plans / opportunity to see a vet?
    Vet (primary) called this afternoon and I met him at the clinic when he got back.

He does not believe her jaw is broken, nor did he want to close up the wound with the flap of skin. He does not think this was an attack, but that she got her head stuck somewhere and did this damage in freeing herself. We're holding off on the abscess / swelling on her left side for a few days.

He put her on antibiotics, help flush the wound and sent us on our way....

I believe I need to order some Dermagel for that wound?

25. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

KarmaKay (09-19-2017), redwuff (07-23-2017), stepnstone (07-23-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    Honestly, I would switch to Clavamox - maybe give her another day of Baytril or Cipro and then switch - broader spectrum and baytril won't do anything to prevent or treat abscess, etc. The Clavamox will cover the pasturella from a cat bit I am almost sure... Hopefully hrt4sqrls looks in here and weighs in on this...

I would do the oral capstar for sure.

Do you have any povidone iodine (betadyne)? About 20 drops in 1/4 cup water is the right strength and it doesn't burn or sting. I would use it with a big syringe to irrigate the area to clean it and try to get a look. It may be easier to saturate a wad of paper towel or washcloth and hold it against the area for as long as you can to start - soften all of the gore up so it is easier to rinse away.

Grind up a couple HHBs and mix with either some formula or even tastier, some Ensure, and some peanut butter and nuke for a few seconds. You can make it anywhere from a thin gruel to quite thick and stiff depending on the solid to liquid blend as she likes and it is full of nutrition. I usually offer it warmed up and almost everyone has loved it.

Poor baby...
    I plan on switching to clavamox tomorrow.

Capstar has already been administered.

Picked up some betadine earlier and irrigated teh wound a couple times now.

I have been making a gruel of "boo ball" mixed with almond butter and a bit of warm water to get a consistency she has been devouring.

27. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

KarmaKay (09-19-2017), Mel1959 (07-23-2017), redwuff (07-23-2017), stepnstone (07-23-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by SammysMom View Post
    This is a chippie who had a similar wound. I can't remember what we treated with, but I've asked and will pass it along.
    Lemme know how this little one was treated, looks very similar...

29. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

KarmaKay (09-19-2017)

Sorry for being MIA most of the day, but my cup runneth over as they say...

She was not happy with her vet visit and all the poking and prodding, but when we got back home she let me hold her for a long time and give her lots of scritches. She was all curled into a ball peeking up at me... she has been super sweet this afternoon for the most part and and not even trying to bite me. I was able to get her to uncurl and get a better look at the wound. I did not mention it, but the vet did not see any exposed bone and neither did I; I did not have a good viewing angle at the vet's and got my best look at things after we got home.

After getting a dose of metacam, take 2 X 5 ML syringes of water then eating her fill of boo-ball gruel, she became very feisty in her cage which I took as a very good sign. But I covered her cage up to stop her pacing and encourage her to get some much needed, well deserved rest. All is calm and quiet in there now...

Some pre-vet visit pics...

31. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Grinderhead (07-23-2017), KarmaKay (09-19-2017), Mel1959 (07-23-2017), redwuff (07-23-2017), SammysMom (07-23-2017)

Thanks for the update Spanky...
    No doubt you have your hands full, glad you were able to see the vet and have
    at least one concern set aside. She's lucky to have you and I know she'll get the
    care she needs... even if a bite does become your reward.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

33. 6 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Grinderhead (07-23-2017), KarmaKay (09-19-2017), Mel1959 (07-23-2017), redwuff (07-23-2017), SammysMom (07-23-2017), Spanky (07-24-2017)

Step said it...

35. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SammysMom from:

Spanky (07-24-2017)

It must make your heart happy when one of your own needs help and comes home to get it. Get better baby

37. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Chickenlegs:

KarmaKay (09-19-2017), Spanky (07-24-2017)

Are her teeth wonky?
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

39. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

Spanky (07-24-2017)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast