Thread: Sunflowers safe?

Default Sunflowers safe?

I have some really nice sunflowers growing in back yard. I just know my boy would love to shred them up. Are the safe?

Default Re: Sunflowers safe?

I don't know the answer, but will say that I had about 100 or more sunflowers come up in the backyard from the bird seed that the squirrels buried last fall. All the squirrels are knocking them down and shredding the heads to eat the seeds....They are wild squirrels, so I'm not going to stop them, that would be impossible.

My best guess would be that they are okay. But maybe someone else will give you a definite answer.

Captive squirrels should only have a few sunflower seeds every other day. To let an indoor squirrel loose on a whole head of sunflower is asking for trouble -- they are loaded with phosphorous, which upsets the calcium in their blood. For the wilds, it's fine -- just be very conservative when giving them to indoor or captive squirrels.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Lighten-Up (07-21-2017), Rexie (07-21-2017)

I have never given him sunflower seeds and he will be 3 yr old next month, so I won't start now. Thanks for the input

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rexie from:

Diggie's Friend (07-22-2017)

In practical wild life care second edition by Les Stocker MBD it says that that peanuts or sunflower seeds should not be feed to any wild bird or other animals because it causes a calcium deficiency and squirrels are particularly susceptible to this. I stopped putting out black oil sunflower seed and have put less striped sunflower seed out and was thinking I should not buy more when they are gone.
    I bought a mix for doves and quail to take the place of the black oil sunflower seeds, but I have begun to wonder if this mix is really and any better for the birds and animals than the sunflower seeds. All the birds and squirrels love the black oil sunflower seeds. Do they sometimes need the oil that is in them?
    I also wonder if feeding too many nuts to the wild squirrels can be bad for them. I wish I could find a place to get nuts from that could give me some proof that the nuts they sell are from growers that do not harm or kill squirrels, but I cannot figure out how to find someone who sells nut that I can trust on this matter.
    I have heard that the wild squirrels do not eat these thing all year long but if people supply them all year long it is a problem. Some people may think that winter is the only hard time of year for the squirrels but I have read some were that there is a time in the summer when it is hard for the squirrels before the mast corps (acorns and nut) are ready to eat. Early spring can be hard too. Right now and in the early spring I see a few squirrels that look thin, usually males and may be some of the young ones . Some of the female look fat may be they are pregnant. So I wonder if it is safe to put black oil sunflower seed out for the birds and squirrels again.
    Sometimes it seems with wild squirrels and wild birds also that there is always a question if what you are feeding them is helping or hurting them if you have decide to feed them. At first feeding them does not seem complicated but late a lot of questions come up later.

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Gray Squirrel from:

Lighten-Up (07-23-2017)

Maybe some here have seen this video before? This one is only the partial video, good thing at the end of the full length video the squirrel really poos out; yet better out than in in this case!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fARlWdhBN6E

Thing is, the sunflower seed is high in fats, which is why squirrels really go for them. Yet as we see they can be very addicting, which for this flyer isn't a good thing! This flyer having likely chowed down on them during the night, found itself with a bigtime sunflower seed pot belly hangover, yet perhaps ready to have babies.

Like so many foods that are 2nd string survival sources located outside of their natural habitats, including wheat, corn, soybeans, ground weeds, and sunflower seeds, that contain higher levels of various nutrients that squirrels require: carbs, protein, fats, even calcium. Yet there is downside to consuming them, as they also contain higher levels of various anti nutrients that bind up calcium, or reduce its bioavailability, making these unnatural sources a double edged sword, for though they can support their short term survival, they come with a price of side effects if they are relied upon for more than a short term sources to get by.

With sunflower seeds the big thing is the higher ratio of phosphorus to calcium. And even so from the squirrels point of view, if they went off and chowed on some grass roots that contain calcium, or knawed on deer antlers, or stripped some tree bark it might perhaps work out ok?? Yet again gorging on these seeds that are also high in calcium oxalate, an anti-nutrient that adds insult to injury with this seed not just higher in phosphorus than calcium, but a veritable diet for making kidney stones, especially when nearly knocked out in the sun lending to dehydration. Not a good deal there!

Best to stick with the wild tree squirrel foods that can be taken right off the trees, or bushes, not the ground. Make sure no dogs are around for acorns are toxic to canines.

Hi Rexie , I got your question wasn't about feeding sunflower seeds, but the flowers, and that you don't feed the seeds, which is a good thing!

Just thought to add some thoughts here as why not to feed sunflower seeds to squirrels, since the question was being discussed. As for letting your boy rip them up the flowers, I would say to look up the plant where all the parts are listed as to being toxic, or non toxic, just as it is needful to always check on any source you put in with your boy in that regard. You may be surprised at all the parts of plants that are toxic to them, even parts of some trees that these animals live in.

Quote Originally Posted by Diggie's Friend View Post
    Maybe some here have seen this video before? This one is only the partial video, good thing at the end of the full length video the squirrel really poos out; yet better out than in in this case!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fARlWdhBN6E

Thing is, the sunflower seed is high in fats, which is why squirrels really go for them. Yet as we see they can be very addicting, which for this flyer isn't a good thing! This flyer having likely chowed down on them during the night, found itself with a bigtime sunflower seed pot belly hangover, yet perhaps ready to have babies.

Like so many foods that are 2nd string survival sources located outside of their natural habitats, including wheat, corn, soybeans, ground weeds, and sunflower seeds, that contain higher levels of various nutrients that squirrels require: carbs, protein, fats, even calcium. Yet there is downside to consuming them, as they also contain higher levels of various anti nutrients that bind up calcium, or reduce its bioavailability, making these unnatural sources a double edged sword, for though they can support their short term survival, they come with a price of side effects if they are relied upon for more than a short term sources to get by.

With sunflower seeds the big thing is the higher ratio of phosphorus to calcium. And even so from the squirrels point of view, if they went off and chowed on some grass roots that contain calcium, or knawed on deer antlers, or stripped some tree bark it might perhaps work out ok?? Yet again gorging on these seeds that are also high in calcium oxalate, an anti-nutrient that adds insult to injury with this seed not just higher in phosphorus than calcium, but a veritable diet for making kidney stones, especially when nearly knocked out in the sun lending to dehydration. Not a good deal there!

Best to stick with the wild tree squirrel foods that can be taken right off the trees, or bushes, not the ground. Make sure no dogs are around for acorns are toxic to canines.
    Did the squirrel in the video recover? Was the squirrel wild or raised by people? Are antlers pieces a good source of calcium for squirrels? Oxalic acid is another calcium binder that I think (not sure) is in wheat and perhaps other grains and seeds. It is in beet greens, chard, rhubarb,, spinach and coco (I would guess coco is not good for squirrels anyway). Phytic acid is another calcium binder. This is what made me wonder if the dove and quail blend I got was any better than black oil sunflower seeds.

Did the squirrel in the video recover? Was the squirrel wild or raised by people? Are antlers pieces a good source of calcium for squirrels? Oxalic acid is another calcium binder that I think (not sure) is in wheat and perhaps other grains and seeds. It is in beet greens, chard, rhubarb,, spinach and coco (I would guess coco is not good for squirrels anyway). Phytic acid is another calcium binder. This is what made me wonder if the dove and quail blend I got was any better than black oil sunflower seeds.
    It was a wild, as the video relates. I think it finally recovered enough to leave.

That depends on whether it is a young one being rehabbed short term, or an adult that is being cared for in captivity. For with the former, juveniles require higher amounts of calcium to support them to reach full bone density over the short term till release. With the latter, once that has been accomplished, should they require long-term temporary or perminent care to survive, adjustments are needed in their diet to keep them from overtoping it with anti-nutrients. This, while maintaining the fine balance of their nutritional needs in support of their health.

I don't know the answer to the black seeds off hand.

Lots of good questions on the broader topic. Yet this isn't my thread, so that's all from me on that here.

Hi Rexie , I got your question wasn't about feeding sunflower seeds, but the flowers, and that you don't feed the seeds, which is a good thing!

Just thought to add some thoughts here as why not to feed sunflower seeds to squirrels, since the question was being discussed. As for letting your boy rip them up the flowers, I would say to look up the plant where all the parts are listed as to being toxic, or non toxic, just as it is needful to always check on any source you put in with your boy in that regard. You may be surprised at all the parts of plants that are toxic to them, even parts of some trees that these animals live in.
    yes my question was for the safety in shredding the sunflowers. I have just decided to not try not worth the risk.

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rexie from:

Diggie's Friend (07-24-2017)

You made a good decision; read this on mold (alfatoxin) contamination in sunflower seed pods.

http://msutoday.msu.edu/news/2017/su...er-carcinogen/

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

Rexie (08-04-2017)

Talking Re: Sunflowers safe?

It was a wild, as the video relates. I think it finally recovered enough to leave.

That depends on whether it is a young one being rehabbed short term, or an adult that is being cared for in captivity. For with the former, juveniles require higher amounts of calcium to support them to reach full bone density over the short term till release. With the latter, once that has been accomplished, should they require long-term temporary or perminent care to survive, adjustments are needed in their diet to keep them from overtoping it with anti-nutrients. This, while maintaining the fine balance of their nutritional needs in support of their health.

I don't know the answer to the black seeds off hand.

Lots of good questions on the broader topic. Yet this isn't my thread, so that's all from me on that here.
    My hearing is not the best and I sometimes have trouble herring what is Said in videos . For a wild squirrel the squirrel did not seem to mind having it stomach rubbed. I think it is you that has just posted “Higher anti nutrient food sources that do not lend support from calcium in the diet.” Did my question have anything to do you writing this. I may have some more questions for you that I will attach to your post.

Gray Squirrel wrote:

Did my question have anything to do you writing this.

I may have some more questions for you that I will attach to your post.
    No, what I posted pertained to the issue of sunflowers, which as I wrote I have no intentions to expanding on this thread.

Please don't post more on my diet threads, that I'm presently building to provide a structure for dietary issues. For these aren't intended to promote side discussions that segway and disrupt the purpose of the those threads.

No, what I posted pertained to the issue of sunflowers, which as I wrote I have no intentions to expanding on this thread.

Please don't post more on my diet threads, that I'm presently building to provide a structure for dietary issues. For these aren't intended to promote side discussions that segway and disrupt the purpose of the those threads.
    Sorry about adding to your diet thread, I had not yet read this when I added to it.