Thread: Help, please! Backyard squirrel in serious danger. Need advice!

AugustAPC Guest

Default Help, please! Backyard squirrel in serious danger. Need advice!

Hi, I feed birds and squirrels in my backyard, and one smaller squirrel has been frequently fighting with the other squirrels and I'm worried it's going to cost him his life. Every time I see him he has new wounds, and currently cannot climb a tree well due to one of his paws being hurt. He has lost his tail, which was bitten and fell off.

I am willing to take this squirrel in if necessary, because I don't believe he'll be able to escape predators for much longer and even if he does, I'm not sure he will live if he keeps getting attacked by other squirrels.

Is it possible to domesticate this little guy? I'm sure he's well over the age when it is preferred to bring them in, but I don't want him to die.

2. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to AugustAPC:

Mel1959 (07-20-2017), Shewhosweptforest (07-20-2017)

Default Re: Help, please! Backyard squirrel in serious danger. Need advice!

Can you trap him? If he isn't moving around well then he is fair game for cats, dogs and Hawks. At the very least he needs to have some down time to recuperate.

Where in Florida are you located? I am near Cocoa Beach. If I can help, I'd be glad to.

Thank you for trying to help him.

4. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Grinderhead (07-20-2017), island rehabber (07-21-2017), Shewhosweptforest (07-20-2017)

We have a squirrel that we took in when she was 4 or 5 years old (according to finder) she had a serious malocclusion and we had to trim her teeth every 3 weeks....not exactly cultivating a friendship....in the end after about a year of trimming, her teeth straightened out....but she is still with us because she became so relaxed with us....she's happy...she's not super hands on...but she will come to us when called and will get back in her cage for us when it's time. Now she is probably an exception....but I think if you don't expect a lot....and don't put pressure...just be there near the cage...reading, watching tv eventually a trust will develop
    One of my releases was recently bullied very badly...she went back to her release cage and stayed in the nestbox for three days... I don't believe she would have survived in the open this little one probably needs the rest and safety also
    Make the world a better place...one animal at a time

The Peace of Wild Things
    BY WENDELL BERRY
    When despair for the world grows in me
    and I wake in the night at the least sound
    in fear of what my life and my children’s lives may be,
    I go and lie down where the wood drake
    rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
    I come into the peace of wild things
    who do not tax their lives with forethought
    of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
    And I feel above me the day-blind stars
    waiting with their light. For a time
    I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

6. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Shewhosweptforest:

Grinderhead (07-20-2017), island rehabber (07-21-2017), Mel1959 (07-20-2017), redwuff (07-21-2017)

AugustAPC Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Can you trap him? If he isn't moving around well then he is fair game for cats, dogs and Hawks. At the very least he needs to have some down time to recuperate.

Where in Florida are you located? I am near Cocoa Beach. If I can help, I'd be glad to.

Thank you for trying to help him.
    I am located in Jacksonville.

I'm going to attempt to catch this little guy. It's difficult because he's showing up less often and there are several other squirrels that would set off any traps before him. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if I do catch him, can anyone give me any immediate tips? I will accommodate him with a large cage, but I can't invest in that prior to catching him. I have large bins that I can use for a temporary cage. I have plenty of food to tide him over until I can research a complete diet. How would I go about offering him water? Should I put it in a shallow bowl?

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to AugustAPC from:

Shewhosweptforest (07-22-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by AugustAPC View Post
    I am located in Jacksonville.

I'm going to attempt to catch this little guy. It's difficult because he's showing up less often and there are several other squirrels that would set off any traps before him. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if I do catch him, can anyone give me any immediate tips? I will accommodate him with a large cage, but I can't invest in that prior to catching him. I have large bins that I can use for a temporary cage. I have plenty of food to tide him over until I can research a complete diet. How would I go about offering him water? Should I put it in a shallow bowl?
    I will direct TSB members Anne and magnum to this thread -- they are in Jax and they are rehabbers
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

10. 6 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

DarkLies212 (07-21-2017), lennysmom (07-21-2017), Mel1959 (07-21-2017), redwuff (07-21-2017), Rocky1 (07-21-2017), Shewhosweptforest (07-22-2017)

How's this little guy doing?

AugustAPC Guest

He just showed up as of this post. It's about to storm here so chances of catching him are low right now. I put out a crate with food in it, hoping he'll enter it.
    He looks a little better, but he still has a hurt paw which makes it hard for him to climb tress and I don't think he's used to not having a tail, yet.

I'm still looking for advice on the first things I should do if I do catch him. What are the most important things he needs? How do I offer him water?

You want to get some fleece, blanket or tshirt into is cage so he can hide. Cover the cage with a sheet. Water can be provided with a small bowl or a water bottle mounted on the outside of the cage. Put him in a dark, quiet spot. I have found my wild squirrels will eat fresh corn, avocado, fresh coconut and Henrys blocks (sometimes).

Have you been in touch with the rehabbers in your area? What is your plan if you were to catch him?

AugustAPC Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    You want to get some fleece, blanket or tshirt into is cage so he can hide. Cover the cage with a sheet. Water can be provided with a small bowl or a water bottle mounted on the outside of the cage. Put him in a dark, quiet spot. I have found my wild squirrels will eat fresh corn, avocado, fresh coconut and Henrys blocks (sometimes).

Have you been in touch with the rehabbers in your area? What is your plan if you were to catch him?
    I was told that some rehabbers were going to be referred to this post. I haven't heard from any of them, though.

Hopfully the rehabbers IR mentioned will contact you soon. In the meantime, if you can help him with some food, that will help him keep up his strength.

Quote Originally Posted by AugustAPC View Post
    I was told that some rehabbers were going to be referred to this post. I haven't heard from any of them, though.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

lennysmom (07-22-2017)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.