Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wild squirrels disappearing

Default Wild squirrels disappearing

I'm not sure what has happened but over 20 squirrels have disappeared in the last couple of weeks. July 6th there was almost more squirrels than you could count between my yard and the neighbors closest to me.
    Every morning with my cup of coffee I would watch them traverse the canopy getting ready for breakfast. I went away for 4 days and know that there was food put out daily. Since I've returned on the 9th it's been slowly dawning on me that I haven't been seeing my outside friends.
    Yesterday I watched very closely, I studied all the trees and yards that I could see and saw no squirrels in the morning. Not in the trees or on the ground. I watched where I put the seeds and nuts all day long until dark and only saw 5 squirrels in total. 3 of which came from back in the woods behind my neighbors house. Even the hawks aren't around and they too have been in my yard for years. We've found no bodies, there's been none hit near me. It's like they all just disappeared.
    Has anyone experienced anything like this? I'm baffled and very concerned but have no idea what to look for next.

Default Re: Wild squirrels disappearing

How are your neighbors with squirrels? Any chance they were fed up, caught the squirrels, and shipped them off while you were away?

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to DarkLies212 from:

PennyCash (07-19-2017)

Milo's Mom is offline Permitted Pennsylvania Wildlife Rehabilitator

Sounds like you've had a predator move in...an owl will make hawks leave.

Top-quality custom cage gear, accessories, blankets, & toys.
    Boutique items are fun, unique, and anything but ordinary.

TSB thread: Auntie MM's Custom Boutique Website: https://auntiemmscb.square.site/ Facebook: Auntie MM's Facebook Page

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Milo's Mom from:

PennyCash (07-19-2017)

Been the same around here for a couple months. I could have 15 or so in my yard at any given time, went down to 2 or 3.
    Haven't seen a hawk in a long time either. Squirrels are slowly starting to return...
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

PennyCash (07-19-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLies212 View Post
    How are your neighbors with squirrels? Any chance they were fed up, caught the squirrels, and shipped them off while you were away?
    Not that I'm aware of and 4 days wouldn't likely be long enough to ship off at least 22 squirrels.

Quote Originally Posted by Milo's Mom View Post
    Sounds like you've had a predator move in...an owl will make hawks leave.
    For the past 15 years there's been both Hawks and Owls nesting in my yard. They seem to live peacefully with the hawks out during daylight and the owls on nightshift.

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    Been the same around here for a couple months. I could have 15 or so in my yard at any given time, went down to 2 or 3.
    Haven't seen a hawk in a long time either. Squirrels are slowly starting to return...
    Hopefully mine come back as well. Scary to not see any. I plan to drive around the neighborhood looking for squirrels.

Quote Originally Posted by PennyCash View Post
    Hopefully mine come back as well. Scary to not see any. I plan to drive around the neighborhood looking for squirrels.
    I did the same thing being paranoid after that poisoning incident a few years back,
    thankfully I haven't seen or found anything alarming.
    I did talk to one neighbor that said she's seen more squirrels coming to her (bird)
    feeders then she's ever had.
    Lately what I'm seeing coming to my yard now are new juvies with a few of my regulars.
    My regulars keep a distance but don't fear me, the juvies can't get over the fence fast enough.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Mel1959 (07-19-2017), PennyCash (07-19-2017)

I did the same thing being paranoid after that poisoning incident a few years back,
    thankfully I haven't seen or found anything alarming.
    I did talk to one neighbor that said she's seen more squirrels coming to her (bird)
    feeders then she's ever had.
    Lately what I'm seeing coming to my yard now are new juvies with a few of my regulars.
    My regulars keep a distance but don't fear me, the juvies can't get over the fence fast enough.
    Most of these Foxers are quite tame comparatively and don't do more that cling to a tree when they're not familiar with me. In no time at all they simply stand a foot or two back waiting for breakfast to be served.
    When I spoke with some of my neighbors they all told me 'come to think of it we've not seen any squirrels either for about 2 weeks' Several feed the birds and have squirrels eating at the feeders. In 13 years I don't recall not looking around and seeing squirrels....
    I did drive the neighborhood looking for squirrels and for the majority not one squirrel. I saw a deer in the woods, then a larger fawn crossing a yard. Didn't see any signs of poisoning, traps or hunting. Nothing strange or out of place other than the lack of furry tailed fuzzers.I thought I saw one in the woods and made it home just in time to catch it heading to my house. In the entire neighborhood I saw only the one in the woods and one chillaxing pancaked on my sidewalk.
    Guess the good news is that my house is still the place to put their grub bag on. Maybe they're all having their own gathering that they're attending?

14. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to PennyCash:

island rehabber (07-19-2017), Mel1959 (07-19-2017), missPixy (07-19-2017)

I have had 10-18 coming to my patio for the last few months, I just noticed in the last few days
    there are only 4-5 now at a time when I look.

16. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Roxygirl:

Mel1959 (07-19-2017), PennyCash (07-19-2017)

I have a friend in Pa that has a feeder in the edge of woods that is 10 feet long or better, he gets
    anywhere from 20-30 at his feeder and has remarked with the same thing about disappearing squirrels.
    I've never seen this happen like this in the past either but it's obviously not isolated to any particular
    area.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

PennyCash (07-19-2017)

I've noticed time of year and weather have a big effect on the number of wilds who come to my yard. as the summer progresses (and summer mating season comes upon us!) I've noticed fewer of the same ones who were always in the yard.

Have you ever noticed any "migration" of squirrels? What I mean is, I see many wilds who come by for a season, or a few seasons, and then seem to be "replaced" in the late spring/early summer by juveniles. A few of the elders remain on (they may have nests closest to my yard).
    We can bring a heart of understanding and compassion to a world that needs it so much. ~~ Jack Kornfield

Quote Originally Posted by missPixy View Post
    I've noticed time of year and weather have a big effect on the number of wilds who come to my yard. as the summer progresses (and summer mating season comes upon us!) I've noticed fewer of the same ones who were always in the yard.

Have you ever noticed any "migration" of squirrels? What I mean is, I see many wilds who come by for a season, or a few seasons, and then seem to be "replaced" in the late spring/early summer by juveniles. A few of the elders remain on (they may have nests closest to my yard).
    I swear that mating season is half the year here. In fact they adult male I saw yesterday still was quite swollen and territorial.
    I absolutely have had several migrations of juveniles - adult and adult - juveniles with a few adults who remain throughout. Some around for a season and others a couple of years. Last year I had a tiny, skinny nursing female show up who has been a daily beggar at Resilie window cage (except for a week after giving birth) and even she is absent for a couple of weeks.
    Now to read that many others from different places are experiencing similar cut backs is truly bizarre. I even woke up extra early this morning to try and verify it's not a summer schedule thing.

I have a friend in Pa that has a feeder in the edge of woods that is 10 feet long or better, he gets
    anywhere from 20-30 at his feeder and has remarked with the same thing about disappearing squirrels.
    I've never seen this happen like this in the past either but it's obviously not isolated to any particular
    area.
    20 - 30 is a close approximation of my norm. I've physically counted 27 in a 2-3 hrs period. They usually seem to come in waves of 7 -
    10 at a time with the quite young, old or injured strangling after everyone else is done.

I'm experiencing the same thing in my yard. I was having 10-14 on a regular basis now I'm lucky if I see 3-4 daily. I was concerned at first because I saw no adult males for almost a month, I've noticed some have returned (looking beat up and skinnier) I guess all this is due to mating season. I just hope and pray they are all ok and alive.

23. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SquirrelyDad from:

PennyCash (07-19-2017)

I've noticed the same in my yard. I hadn't given it a lot of thought till everyone mentioned the decline. I still have a few regulars but not nearly the number I had at the end of Spring. What I find so interesting is that my neighborhood consists of 4 streets with cul-de-sacs and houses that back to canals. One road in and out of the neighborhood with a river that runs at the end of each street. WHERE do these squirrels go if it's a relocation thing? They would have to travel up the street and around to the next street. They certainly aren't swimming across the canals! over the next few days I will pay closer attention. We have very few predators, so I don't think it's that.

25. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

PennyCash (07-19-2017)

So I only had 3-4 today....at least the times I looked.....but I also want to mention that the afternoon bunch is way down....so far down I had none any after 6 yesterday
    and that is unusual....there is usually 6-8 or more coming up for a bedtime snack

It may be the heat.....in the 90s last few days

27. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Roxygirl:

Mel1959 (07-19-2017), missPixy (07-20-2017), PennyCash (07-19-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelyDad View Post
    I'm experiencing the same thing in my yard. I was having 10-14 on a regular basis now I'm lucky if I see 3-4 daily. I was concerned at first because I saw no adult males for almost a month, I've noticed some have returned (looking beat up and skinnier) I guess all this is due to mating season. I just hope and pray they are all ok and alive.
    Here I've always had about 5 large males who always seemed to be jockeying for position of dominance. 2 days in a row only 1 adult male and a couple of juvenile males.
    Everyone I've seen looks really good right now although a bit thin. Shiny fur, no new wounds etc.

29. Serious fuzzy thank you's to PennyCash from:

Mel1959 (07-19-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    I've noticed the same in my yard. I hadn't given it a lot of thought till everyone mentioned the decline. I still have a few regulars but not nearly the number I had at the end of Spring. What I find so interesting is that my neighborhood consists of 4 streets with cul-de-sacs and houses that back to canals. One road in and out of the neighborhood with a river that runs at the end of each street. WHERE do these squirrels go if it's a relocation thing? They would have to travel up the street and around to the next street. They certainly aren't swimming across the canals! over the next few days I will pay closer attention. We have very few predators, so I don't think it's that.
    Here there's highways, cow fields and our development. 300 acres of cow pasture to the left and 300 acres of horse and cow to the right but there is wood lines in between.

31. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to PennyCash:

Mel1959 (07-19-2017), missPixy (07-20-2017)

Just wanted to add....I think it's the time of year or even weather...heat...because I'm not seeing my regulars as often....not even my two releases....I had to really call and call just to get a small appearance....even Nougie, who has taken up residence in her release cage, didn't come out of the nestbox when I put out her food this morning.....and, come to find out....the other one has had babies and she's in the nestbox "all" the time...I see her on the porch watching me once in a while....then I did see another regular and sure enough you could see she's been nursing....so! I'm assuming my guys are either staying cool in the top of the trees....or are taking care of babies

I see this happen every year also....and I'm outside for hours during their active times....no predators....no remains
    Make the world a better place...one animal at a time

The Peace of Wild Things
    BY WENDELL BERRY
    When despair for the world grows in me
    and I wake in the night at the least sound
    in fear of what my life and my children’s lives may be,
    I go and lie down where the wood drake
    rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
    I come into the peace of wild things
    who do not tax their lives with forethought
    of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
    And I feel above me the day-blind stars
    waiting with their light. For a time
    I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

33. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Shewhosweptforest:

Mel1959 (07-21-2017), missPixy (07-20-2017)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast