Thread: Exotic Animal formulary, dose keppra or phenobarbital

Default Exotic Animal formulary, dose keppra or phenobarbital

Thanks for guidance on our situation her , I just thought I'd post with a different title- if anyone has a well trusted formulary, with dosage recommendations for either Keppra, or phenobarbital for my Snickers? I was searching through threads, and saw where the one Dr most here trust is out of town. My own State's College of Vet Med. doesn't even have an exotic vet available today. Locally, the only one in this part of the star is also out of town... just getting desperate! I'll try whatever you folks come up with, it can't do any harm at this point. Currently she is less agitated ( no longer aggressive) but not eating or drinking . Still has the "frantic" look in face , but not doing crazy circles anymore. I know in dogs, keppra is considered safer, and gets withon therapeutic blood levels within 24 hrs... so my gut feeling is to try his if anyone has a book with a dose. I even checked with VIN, a special online resource for vets.... it's even cluleless!! What the heck??! Anything someone can come up with; I'll call it in and give it a try, thanks in advance

Default Re: Exotic Animal formulary, dose keppra or phenobarbital

See if this helps from the Rat Guide:
    Seizures
    http://ratguide.com/health/neurological/seizures.php
    Scroll down a little under treatment, and it will bring you to Diazepam
    Phenobarbitol.
    Click those on and it will give you dosing recommendations.

3. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

HRT4SQRLS (07-15-2017), Mel1959 (07-16-2017), Snicker Bar (07-15-2017)

This is helpful , but sadly I asked my husband to grab some keppra, thinking it would be the recommended drug of choice. After many phone calls and several hours of networking, one Dr in NC gave the gonahead fornthebkeppra, but said to add phenobarbital as well. Since keppra is all we have at the moment , I just now received a dosage to try ( 5mg per pound) and she took it . She had her last ( third seizure ) about two hours ago. Keeping her near and prayerful this will help. He /she msgd to treat her like we would a dog, which would be dosing three times daily. If anyone here has any further info, I will likely be awake most of the night.... packing for my husband and daughter, and watching her

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Snicker Bar:

Mel1959 (07-16-2017), Nancy in New York (07-15-2017)

Your poor sweet baby. Sure hope the seizures are manageable and the Keppra kicks in soon.

7. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Chickenlegs:

Mel1959 (07-16-2017), Snicker Bar (07-15-2017)

How are things going with your little one?

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Snicker Bar (07-16-2017)

Last night, I received word from a place in SC for a suggested dose for Keppra, so I gave her it, but I've been reluctant to give it at the frequency the person recommended...I'm not sure if she was a DVM? Or random kind person... I hated to disrespect by asking, because she was kind enough to try and help us... But shortly after I gave the medicine, a Rehabber I've talked to, but never met, told me a horror story about her experience using an anti seizure drug ( but she wasn't sure if it was phenobarbital or Keppra). So my plan is to only use it once daily until I can get a response from this Dr Emerson, that many here trust . She hasn't had a seizure since the one dose ( as far as I know) She's not eating well, and acting nervous and skittish; but at least she is responsive, and recognizes me, and wants to cuddle again. She is in my bedroom, so hopefully I won't miss an event . And for brief absences, I've closed her cage and will be able to tell if it's wrecked... My thumb is hurting, but it any worse thankfully. Anyhow, I guess that's the plan, unless she has breakthroughs... if any other suggestions come let me know!

11. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Snicker Bar:

Mel1959 (07-16-2017), Nancy in New York (07-17-2017)

http://www.ratfanclub.org/seizures.html (Causes of seizures)

Sorry this is so long, yet it was needful to present support for the use of this protocol, and to explain how to implement it.

One of the number of issues can be the cause of seizures. One of them is magnesium deficiency. And though I'm in no way saying this is the cause, when it comes to agitation, Magnesium known as the relaxing mineral, lends support to calming the body. This has been seen by a number of people with squirrels that were aggressive. And though in this case aggression could be from other issues, yet when calcium is in high ratio to Magnesium the level of agitation is going to be greater.

As for any concern as to how this will effect bone health, Calcium in close ratio to Magnesium was shown through laboratory rat research to support both the uptake of calcium into the bloodstream, and from there into the bone. Also confirmed through rat studies, Magnesium and Calcium in close ratio were found to make the bones stronger, adding tensile strength to otherwise hard, but inflexible bones without any negative change to bone density.

Magnesium Citrate is a well absorbed form that lends that lends to the prevention of kidney stones in rats. Magnesium oxide is poorly absorbed form, and Magnesium carbonate higher in pH promotes kidney stones in rats.

Close ratio formulas of Ca:Mg of (1.80:1) with Calcium Citrate and Magnesium Citrate, put out by Veterinarians, offer support to small mammals for body, bone, and brain.

Dr. Carolyn Dean MD. & NA describes how to raise Magnesium into close ratio to Calcium in the body by using the bowel tolerance method.
    In adapting this method for use in small mammals, start by adding in 1/64 Tsp. of Magnesium Citrate every other day till bowel tolerance is reach. This is seen when the stool become like a noodle. Then back down by 1/64 till the stool firms up. It can take two days t do this for the body to adjust to the new level of magnesium.

(Use Magnesium citrate from Frontier Naturals, as the measures only applie to this source, for other sources may vary in potency)

That said, if the animal has a tumor that could cause intermittent pain, which provokes aggression.

All you can do is to see if raising the Magnesium into close ratio makes a difference. I truly hope this can offer some help to your squirrel. DF

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

Snicker Bar (07-17-2017)

I'll try anything at this point, thanks for the information , it's scarce and hard to find anything as far as seizure management in Squirrels What would be some palatable forms of magnesium, for a picky eater?

Tonight was her third empirical dose of Keppra, at once daily ( vs three times daily in dogs); and so far, she hasn't had another seizure as far as I can tell. Today she spent a long time cuddling, and grooming my hand....especially the thumb with multiple bandages. It's like she was trying to say "So sorry Mama! I was out of my mind "
    While we are stuck in the truck for 20 hrs on way to Grandma's, I'm determined ( with the help of a teenager) to learn how to post pictures, make an album etc. I got the cutest picture of her kissing my thumb

Milo's Mom is offline Permitted Pennsylvania Wildlife Rehabilitator

Quote Originally Posted by Snicker Bar View Post
    I'll try anything at this point, thanks for the information , it's scarce and hard to find anything as far as seizure management in Squirrels What would be some palatable forms of magnesium, for a picky eater?
    Almonds.

Top-quality custom cage gear, accessories, blankets, & toys.
    Boutique items are fun, unique, and anything but ordinary.

TSB thread: Auntie MM's Custom Boutique Website: https://auntiemmscb.square.site/ Facebook: Auntie MM's Facebook Page

16. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Milo's Mom:

island rehabber (07-17-2017), Snicker Bar (07-17-2017)

Good deal, she likes them, but gets bored with them too. So I've started mixing them in the Boo bars we make.

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Snicker Bar from:

island rehabber (07-17-2017)