Thread: Revolution flea protection and wild squirrel flea protection question

Default Revolution flea protection and wild squirrel flea protection question

Hi, I've purchased kitten/puppy Revolution for squirrels in the past from Joe's, but the tubes are so tiny. Sometimes I swear nothing even comes out. I'm wondering if I bought larger tubes and just use a drop, is that still safe? Or is the kitten/puppy formula a much weaker strain?

Is there another brand other than Revolution that's safe for squirrels? Revolution is not common in stores - have to order online. Thanks.

Also curious -- anyone ever tried to provide flea protection for wilds? I have a lot of wild buddies who stop by daily for snacks. I'd love to put something on the nuts and fruit I leave that could help them out.

Thanks for the input, all.

Default Re: Revolution flea protection and wild squirrel flea protection question

The kitten/puppy formula is for critters under 5 lbs. you still only need one drop. It is also available from some veterinarians. I believe all the tubes of this type product are about the same size, the formula is more potent for larger animals. So, I don't think that would work for a squirrel. One tube has more than one drop in it. I put one drop on a hard surface and then draw it up in a small dosing syringe. I can put the tip of the syringe on the squirrels skin and push the plunger.

I know ivermectin is used to treat internal parasites. I'm not sure if it works for fleas, but it is more dangerous to use. Too much and it can be lethal.

Default Re: Revolution flea protection and wild squirrel flea protection question

The Revolution (Selamectin) products are sold as "single dose tubes" but those tubes vary in strength and concentration depending on the species (dog versus cat) and weight of the animals.

The dog product, I believe, comes in more than one concentration which makes sense since dogs weight range from a few pounds to over a hundred pounds. I avoid the dog version...

I believe all the cat products are the same concentration (60MG per 1ML), but the amount in the single dose tube varies depending on which "weight" product you purchase.

I only use the cat products and focusing on that, yes you can purchase the "big cat" version as long as you are dosing the same amount you would from the kitten version. So yes, ultimately each dose will be less expensive!

Selamectin can be given orally which makes it easier to give to our outdoor friends that are less cooperative about getting the drop on their neck. You can place the small drop on a nut and allow it to dry before giving it to the squirrel. I prefer pecans for this as they all too often seem to peel the "paper coating" off the almonds which may remove the Selamectin before they injest it. I have been known to hollow out almonds with a drill though to place the meds in the meat of the nut! ***IMPORTANT*** You must have a way of knowing which squirrel has received a dose and which has not as you do not want the same squirrel to get multiple doses... which is much more a danger with Ivermectin since that is easier to overdose. I try to give at least 2 doses (30 days apart) over the summer to those I can to try to protect them from bot flies.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Mel1959 (07-14-2017)

Thanks for the valuable info. I'll buy a larger tube for big cats -- will double ck the dose, for sure. I didn't know the med could be given orally, so I'll give it a go for the wilds. I thought about the fact that I have to be very careful giving the med to wilds - making sure who get a dose and who doesn't. I have several who visit daily and are very friendly. I can tell them apart. There are others who just make a guest appearance now and again - I'll just skip those guys as I can't be sure. Then there's my special buddy - a male I raised who is now king of the backyard. I can use a drop for him. I guess I'll order from Joe's again - just for larger cats, but there sure better be some med in the tubes this time! The last two small ones, seriously, had nothing in them. I assume the med in the tubes will last for a while in the fridge once opened?
    Thanks for the help!