Thread: New squirrel guy

Default New squirrel guy

Hello everyone, my Daughter found a baby last Sept and guess who raised it, mostly me since she is in HS and Jr Varsity Cheer team.

So Roxy is doing great, lots of fun and always want to be with me playing or hanging out. She trust me 100% and lays on her back in my lap
    and lets me hold each paw and trim her nails. But every 5-6 days or so she can be testy when I try to pick her up from running around, especially if shes fascinated
    by something...she has charged at my hand and bit down on a finger just hard enough to bleed a little.

And today, I tried putting a branch with leaves in her cage per Henrys Pets suggestion (purchased food from them first time yesterday) and she got aggressive
    with that in the cage, to my surprise.....and it took some fancy maneuvers to get it out...she did her little growl and all..

And finally, because no one else was involved in raising her, she does not like other people....and that is sad....but I am dealing with it.
    Also...she has no problem with two cats and the dog.....but will chase the cats down sometimes and nip at their feet.
    I plan to stick with it, but any comments / info on this behavior would be greatly appreciated,
    And....how can I post photos of her?

Thanks in advance, John

Default Re: New squirrel guy

Hi John. First email any pics you have to me of Roxy, scottsgrassguys@aol.com and I will post them, until you can figure it out.

Squirrels when they accept humans, accept one almost all of the time. They are one people animals which along with other things make them miserable pets. There are many horror stories. Attacks on children, wives, friends etc is common. They chew, bite, scratch, cause damage to furniture, walls, floors etc. Your squirrel maybe exhibiting what we call, wilding up. She is telling you she wants to be in the wild freedom of the trees.

They need a very special diet and are susceptible to a bone disease called MBD Metabolic Bone Disease, which can be paralyzing and deadly.

We at TSB, are a rehabbing family and believe squirrels belong free and in the trees. One very dangerous thing is exposing squirrels to our family pets, for a variety of reasons.

More members from our site will join the conversation and discuss diet and other squirrely things. Diet being of the utmost importance.

I appreciate you taking care of Roxy . And, email some pictures, we love them.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Scott from:

Nancy in New York (07-13-2017)

Here are 2 pictures of beautiful Roxy. She looks pretty comfortable on her kitchen counter and the top of her cage.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

5. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Scott:

lukaslolamaus (07-13-2017), Mel1959 (07-13-2017), Nancy in New York (07-13-2017)

Hi John... to TSB! Thanks for taking care of Roxy when she was in need.... there is a lot of information here on TSB on squirrel behavior if you search through it. Squirrels are one people critters and I am afraid that the aggressiveness you see will only increase as she gets older. If she is healthy, I would encourage you to consider letting her be free in the trees... we can never really give them a life living 75 feet up in the treetops like they were meant to live. The release process is an very involved one, especially since she is acclimated to predators (cats and dogs) but she is young, and young squirrel minds (like humans) are quick to adapt.... I won't go into that right now but there is info on TSB if you look... but I will share the following:

SQUIRRELS ARE NOT PETS!
    Baby squirrels may be as charming and adorable as kittens or puppies but don’t be fooled by their cute, cuddly nature
    at this young age. A baby squirrel is a far cry from the adult animal it will become.
    You will be bitterly disappointed to discover that there are good reasons they have never been domesticated:
    • Unlike our typical pets and companion animals, squirrels lack the instinct to rely on others for food, protection
    or companionship. This makes the adult squirrel a solitary animal unsuited for living with others.
    • Squirrels do not accept any strangers after about nine weeks of age. They won’t accept pet sitters or out-of-town
    visitors. Even squirrels that learn to tolerate and accept one human will not behave the same toward anyone
    else.
    • Squirrels do not adapt easily to new environments. Changing their environment can make them very fearful and
    aggressive or so stressed that they can have seizures and die.
    • A squirrel’s teeth grow continuously and they chew on anything—walls, woodwork, etc. Puppies chew when
    teething, but squirrels chew indiscriminately throughout their lives. They can’t be taught what is acceptable to
    chew and what is not.
    • Adult squirrels have razor sharp nails necessary for grasping, climbing and jumping. They do not retract like a
    cat’s claws—making them more damaging to furniture, drapes and human skin.
    • Squirrels can’t be disciplined or trained to use a litter box!
    • A squirrel’s behavior is unpredictable and much more instinctive than a dog or cat. They are easily frightened
    and more likely to turn on a known handler.
    To quote the National Wildlife Rehabilitation Association, “A captive squirrel is constantly looking for a way out and
    that behavior cannot be changed.

7. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

island rehabber (07-13-2017), Mel1959 (07-13-2017), Nancy in New York (07-13-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Roxygirl View Post
    Hello everyone, my Daughter found a baby last Sept and guess who raised it, mostly me since she is in HS and Jr Varsity Cheer team.

So Roxy is doing great, lots of fun and always want to be with me playing or hanging out. She trust me 100% and lays on her back in my lap
    and lets me hold each paw and trim her nails. But every 5-6 days or so she can be testy when I try to pick her up from running around, especially if shes fascinated
    by something...she has charged at my hand and bit down on a finger just hard enough to bleed a little.

And today, I tried putting a branch with leaves in her cage per Henrys Pets suggestion (purchased food from them first time yesterday) and she got aggressive
    with that in the cage, to my surprise.....and it took some fancy maneuvers to get it out...she did her little growl and all..

And finally, because no one else was involved in raising her, she does not like other people....and that is sad....but I am dealing with it.
    Also...she has no problem with two cats and the dog.....but will chase the cats down sometimes and nip at their feet.
    I plan to stick with it, but any comments / info on this behavior would be greatly appreciated,
    And....how can I post photos of her?

Thanks in advance, John
    Please be VERY careful of her around cats. Even their saliva can be deadly to squirrels.
    Roxy is just gorgeous by the way!

Here's a great thread about squirrels and domestic pets.
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...hlight=Warning

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

Mel1959 (07-13-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    Please be VERY careful of her around cats. Even their saliva can be deadly to squirrels.
    Roxy is just gorgeous by the way!

Here's a great thread about squirrels and domestic pets.
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...hlight=Warning

Will do, they steer clear of her for the most part. They like to sit on the table and watch her on the floor.

Thanks to all for the help thus far. A few more pics attached.
    I want everyone to know I did not enter into this without a great deal of thought and some research..
    My biz is the first floor of the home, so I am here with her all the time, and she out of the cage 6 or more times a day
    including a 45 min lunch. She is actually 80% potty trained meaning she pees in the bathroom, behind the sink, and poops when out
    of the cage, usually down my back.. you gotta be dedicated!

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Roxygirl from:

Nancy in New York (07-14-2017)

I don't know if you have seen this. Print it out and put it on your bulletin board. You can also find it in "Squirrel Nutrition" 8 posts down. If you follow it precisely, your owner, Roxy, will benefit. Teeth and health will be better.

And, NUTS ARE BAD FOR SQUIRRELS. Kind of like giving sugar cookies to your daughter every day. One NUT per day maximum.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    I don't know if you have seen this. Print it out and put it on your bulletin board. You can also find it in "Squirrel Nutrition" 8 posts down. If you follow it precisely, your owner, Roxy, will benefit. Teeth and health will be better.

And, NUTS ARE BAD FOR SQUIRRELS. Kind of like giving sugar cookies to your daughter every day. One NUT per day maximum.
    Yes, I have this schedule, and my order from Henrys arrived today. I cut way back on nuts some time ago and have been giving her
    lots of greens and veggies.. ...I just kinda knew a diverse diet would be best. Had a chipmunk for 5 years.

She has ...as I suspected she would.....turned her nose up to block.....so no other food for a few days till she takes it.

She loves to drink Gatorade out of my glass....this started about a week ago. I will go ahead a guess this is not good?
    She still drinks allot, likes to drink from the faucet!

14. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Roxygirl:

Nancy in New York (07-14-2017), Scott (07-14-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Roxygirl View Post
    Will do, they steer clear of her for the most part. They like to sit on the table and watch her on the floor.

Thanks to all for the help thus far. A few more pics attached.
    I want everyone to know I did not enter into this without a great deal of thought and some research..
    My biz is the first floor of the home, so I am here with her all the time, and she out of the cage 6 or more times a day
    including a 45 min lunch. She is actually 80% potty trained meaning she pees in the bathroom, behind the sink, and poops when out
    of the cage, usually down my back.. you gotta be dedicated!

She's precious!
    I think this little one is lucky to have found her way to you.
    Oh yeah, that's dedication/true love when you don't mind them
    pooping down your back.

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

Scott (07-14-2017)